Ex LMS 42' GUV when were they withdrawn

Hi I have searched hi & low on the internet , but to no avail, can anybody tell me when the EX LMS short length GUVs were withdrawn, these are the ones on the 42' Chassis, I have attached an image of the Lima Model for reference.

yours in anticipation

Craig.

post-8721-0-62644800-1293575001_thumb.jpg

LMS 42' CCT: over 200 produced, later branded GUV by BR - possibly when painted blue?

From BR General Parcels Rolling Stock - A Pictorial Survey, by David Larkin:

"They... were a familiar sight until the late 1960's when withdrawals began. By 1971 only 39 were still in revenue-earning service, although some could also be seen as engineers' vehicles."

Nice looking vehicle - are these hard to come by?

Your pic is of 37926 - there were 10 left in the range 37908-33, from a 1937 batch*, in the 1976 edition of the RCTS coaching stock book. Classified GUV, vacuum brake, steam piped, wooden frame, LMS bogies.

* the complete batch was lot no. 1050 of 1937, Wolverton, 37905-37

Edit: there were two left in the 1978 edition of RCTS, 37911 and 37929, allocated the TOPS code NIV.

That book also has a photo of 37926 (your model) at York in 1973, looking quite grubby.

I have one that I picked up at a swapmeet some years ago. The most glaring error is the fitting of BR1 bogies. I think that Lima put BR1 bogies under everything. Mine is now fitted with Bachmann Stanier's and SEF flushglaze.

Guest baldrick25

Isn't there one (in blue livery) still sitting on NR metals in a bay at Oxford station. Not in a good position for getting a shot as its under a canopy , with lots of 'posts' in the way, and access only available to the next platform. Noticed it when I went to Didcot last October- must check the photographs I managed later today.

Lima did do one as an air compressor van in brown livery. Not sure whether that was based on fact or fiction.

LMS 42' CCT/GUV vans produced by Lima

30-5358 #37762? LMS Maroon

30-5360 #M37926 BR Blue

30-5370 #DM395929 Air Compressor livery (olive green) Fictional livery and number?

30-5371 #M37776M BR Maroon

All above fitted with the standard Lima BR Mk1a coach bogie.

K9-70

Isn't there one (in blue livery) still sitting on NR metals in a bay at Oxford station. Not in a good position for getting a shot as its under a canopy , with lots of 'posts' in the way, and access only available to the next platform. Noticed it when I went to Didcot last October- must check the photographs I managed later today.

Alas no Baldric25, the two BR blue vans at Oxford are a 4 wheeled CCT and a bogie GUV.

Back in 1983 there was still an LMS 42'er stabled just outside the downside carriage shed at Euston, probably kept as a stores van.

HTH

Nidge ;)

LMS 42' CCT/GUV vans produced by Lima

30-5358 #37762? LMS Maroon

30-5360 #M37926 BR Blue

30-5370 #DE395929 Air Compressor livery (olive green) Fictional livery?

30-5371 #M37776M BR Maroon

All above fitted with the standard Lima BR Mk1a coach bogie.

K9-70

I have one finished in early BR livery - Crimson/Cream.

Is 30-5379 prefixed DE? The number series would suggest a DM departmental coach - although neither the Departmental site, or the list on http://www.lmsca.org.uk/lms-coaches/departmental-coach-list.php have this one.

There are a few photographs of these vans in http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1162812.html, including in engineers use.

Paul Bartlett

Is 30-5379 prefixed DE? The number series would suggest a DM departmental coach - although neither the Departmental site, or the list on http://www.lmsca.org.uk/lms-coaches/departmental-coach-list.php have this one.

I thought that too - the DE seems to be a typo on someone's part, as the models are definitely DM if you search the web.

Can't find that actual number though in my old departmentals books from 1981-ish.

I thought that too - the DE seems to be a typo on someone's part, as the models are definitely DM if you search the web.

Can't find that actual number though in my old departmentals books from 1981-ish.

Just to add some more confusion the coach in your caledonian rail link was not 37907 as they state but 37909 and the departmental number it carried was ADB975560 even though it wasn't a B.R. build. I think this is because the DB prefix was issued a few years before the DE, DM etc regional ones but it just goes to show what a mess B.R departmentals were.

By the way I've modelled this actual coach as a stores van (in the condition seen in your link) on our Aberdeen Kirkhill layout set in 1988.

Archived