2010 RMweb Layout Challenge - The Results

Andy Y

I'd like to add my congratulations to the winner, Eldavo, and the other entrants and give my thanks for a very entertaining time I had looking through and marking the layouts. I feel the competition proved just how interesting, diverse and imaginative our little hobby can be. And it made me have a good, hard look at some other prototypes I wouldn't normally pay attention to and learned a thing or two.

And not forgetting Andy's sterling work organising such a successful venture. Thanks for your hard work, as ever.

Might I be so bold as to make a suggestion for next year though, and that's allowing votes out of 10 instead of 5? I often found myself giving the same mark to different layouts although I preferred one to the other. It would have been great to award one layout a 7/10 and another a 6/10 instead of awarding both a 3/5 (for example). It's only a suggestion though, and I don't want to take away from the success of this year's competition.

As for 2011, I'd like to add my support to M Graff's idea of the Four Seasons. It would be great to see how different modellers tackle spring, summer, autumn and winter in their own unique ways. I may even be tempted to join in myself then!

Best to all,

Mike

Guest Dave.C

I was thinking of doing something very simple for this year (as we can't expect everyone to keep churning out small to medium sized layouts.

A 20" x 11" diorama?

That gets my vote B)

Just add my congrats to those above, to eldavo for his fine layout, to the runners up, and also everone else who started a layout (including myself - Cutthroat Lane). This is a brill forum. :D

Still having fun

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of doing something very simple for this year (as we can't expect everyone to keep churning out small to medium sized layouts.

A 20" x 11" diorama?

I like the idea of a diorama Andy, it would probably mean less withdrawals. The 2011 reference is also neat. I suppose there would have to be some rules on how the diorama is delimited. Ie how self-contained should it be, etc.

That's just perverse! laugh.gif

A 20" x 11" diorama?

Ah, that's probably just the sort of thing that I'll need to display a nice P4 Twin Napiered Diesel on when it's finished... Sounds like something that could drive me to working on the landscaping skills nicely. A good idea Andy. Ideas of a deadline ?

Jon

I like the idea of a 20x11 challenge - but surely there should be a 6 in there somewhere...

How about the RMWeb 20x11x6 Birthday Challenge?

A diorama that can fit within a 20"x11"x6" virtual box. How you get it to fit is up to you (so you could have 2 20x11 boards that can be boxed together with the scenery all within a 20"x11"x6" box, or a single 11"x6" board with 20" high scenery), giving you a bit more freedom in what you do...

Do we get an extra month and a minute for the deadline? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to all, Eldavo has done N a service with a deserved win.

Thanks Andy and the elves for the organisation and for RMWeb in general.

20 x 11... A t least I can attempt that in the space I currently have available - i.e. the back of my car!laugh.gif

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The postie delivered a little package today. It was from that awfully nice Mr. York. We have a trophy and a plaque! Not sure what scale they are to...

post-7010-0-76268100-1504805456.jpg

Of course Andy has had the last laugh here as a glass trophy is bloomin' difficult to photograph. Very nice though. smile.gif

post-7010-0-65884200-1504805465.jpg

I suppose I better get back to working on this little trainset and get 'er done.

Cheers
Dave (pleased as punch)

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Will the very well deserved plaque be fitted to the outside of the shed / workshop/ small hanger in your garden ?

The plaque is currently stored in the shed / workshop/ small hanger in my garden but will be affixed to Waton before its first outing. :)

Cheers

Dave