Converting a class 27 to a 27/2

I think you mean the 27/2 Peter? - the grilles being for the Deutz ETH generator. AFAIK there was never a specific kit, but the query has come up before and I *think* there are some cl. 73 grilles that are close enough - A1 possibly?

• RMweb Gold

Didn't A1 Models do a pack of grilles for the 27/2, I remember having a pack years ago that had the small round bodyside grilles, but can't remember what else come with it.

Hi Trevor,

The pack was originaly an add on to the Cl26 conversion for the CL33.

It did not get revised after the Lima CL26 and Cl27 were released.

Not sure if it was carried on when the A1 CL26 and CL27 etches were discontinued.

I think I still may have a couple in the bits box and will see if I can find them.

They should still be OK for the Haljan 27 - will see what they look like first though!

Thanks

What year are you modelling Peter? I looked into the extra grills fitted to the ETH fitted 27/2s and came to the conclusion they were fitted in 1977.

My layout is based in 1975 so my 27/2 will not have the extra grills, just the ETH and push pull fittings.

Cheers

David

Don't forget if you want to add a bit more detail the 27/2 with the Deutz donkey had an exhaust for it in the roof and they also had a square conduit running down one side with a pipe underneath it. Also the boiler tank gauges were removed.

Pictures of my JLTRT 7mm one.

post-6766-0-08213000-1294051027_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-46296900-1294051030_thumb.jpg

I think you mean the 27/2 Peter? - the grilles being for the Deutz ETH generator. AFAIK there was never a specific kit, but the query has come up before and I *think* there are some cl. 73 grilles that are close enough - A1 possibly?

Thanks Pennine MC,

You are right I ment 27/2 , I have changed the heading.:D

Cheers Peter.

What year are you modelling Peter? I looked into the extra grills fitted to the ETH fitted 27/2s and came to the conclusion they were fitted in 1977.

My layout is based in 1975 so my 27/2 will not have the extra grills, just the ETH and push pull fittings.

Cheers

David

Hi Dave,

I am planning on modelling one in 1985/6 condition so it will have the grilles but some of the ETH fittings will have been removed as by this time 47/7s were working the push pulls.

Cheers Peter.

Don't forget if you want to add a bit more detail the 27/2 with the Deutz donkey had an exhaust for it in the roof and they also had a square conduit running down one side with a pipe underneath it. Also the boiler tank gauges were removed.

Pictures of my JLTRT 7mm one.

Hi Brian,

It was seeing your 7mm class 27 that got me thinking about doing a 4mm loco. Your thread has been very useful I am just wondering if that exhaust was covered over when the ETH was removed.

Cheers Peter.

From a conversation at the Wigan exhibition in December 2010, I understand that the Class 27/2 grille set in 4mm scale is a proposed future release from Shawplan. Very nice JLTRT 27/2, Mr Daniels!

Cool, thanks John.:D

Cheers Peter.

You're welcome Peter. I have a 27/1 and a 27/2 on the workbench at the moment so this release is eagerly awaited.

Hi John,

No worries, I am guessing you are going to do a shove set having a 1 and a 2? Hopefully you will start a thread when you come to do them.;)

heers Peter.

Got it in one, but my push-pull set is a (very) long-term project. I originally converted the 27/1 from a Lima 33 in 1979 (!) as nothing else was available at the time. The project has been revived following the acquisition of another 27 and thanks to Bachmann I now have a rake of suitable Mark IIs (to be air-braked) to go between the two locos.

However I am under pressure from my DMU preservation colleagues to finish my MTK 6-car Edinburgh-Glasgow Swindon Inter-City DMU first (yes I'm a glutton for punishment). I made the fateful decision to try to model the DMU underfloor detail as accurately as possible, which has added years to the completion time.

Hi John,

No worries, I am guessing you are going to do a shove set having a 1 and a 2? Hopefully you will start a thread when you come to do them.;)

heers Peter.

Pete, Andrew Donnelly has done an ex pusher for the 85 Airthrey Park fleet, one of the ones that they left the grilles on. I will ask him to reply to this thread with details of parts used. Sounds like he's done exactly what you are after. I will try and get pictures of it from him or from the next club night and post them here.

S

Pete, Andrew Donnelly has done an ex pusher for the 85 Airthrey Park fleet, one of the ones that they left the grilles on. I will ask him to reply to this thread with details of parts used. Sounds like he's done exactly what you are after. I will try and get pictures of it from him or from the next club night and post them here.

S

Thanks that would be great, I did have a look at your Airthrey Park fotopic site but didn't see any 27/2s.

Cheers Peter.

Got it in one, but my push-pull set is a (very) long-term project. I originally converted the 27/1 from a Lima 33 in 1979 (!) as nothing else was available at the time. The project has been revived following the acquisition of another 27 and thanks to Bachmann I now have a rake of suitable Mark IIs (to be air-braked) to go between the two locos.

However I am under pressure from my DMU preservation colleagues to finish my MTK 6-car Edinburgh-Glasgow Swindon Inter-City DMU first (yes I'm a glutton for punishment). I made the fateful decision to try to model the DMU underfloor detail as accurately as possible, which has added years to the completion time.

Hi John,

Good luck with the MTK kit I had a kit for a MK1 BG many years back. I think you have big job on your hands there, I would be cracking on with your 27s. ;) I did a Lima 26 and 27 form a class 33 many years back, useing the Craftsman kits. I still have them as I couldn't bring myself to sell them.

Cheers Peter.

S

Hi Pete

I have the loco here and attach some photos. I will cut and paste Andrew's explanation below......

"Both the window replacement grills were spares from a Bachmann 25 cut down and slotted in. The extra, large grill was fashioned out of same, with the surround made out of some suitably sized etch I happened to have. The pair of smaller round grills on the other side are actually 37 horn grills (and not the best either..)" From Lisbon Paintshop......

Still it looks OK and got the thumbs up from interested onlookers who had a peek at Wigan.. This will be my next sound fitting project for AD this weekend.

Cheers SB

Wiston Works

post-9235-0-70326100-1294490968_thumb.jpg

post-9235-0-33131100-1294490982_thumb.jpg

post-9235-0-42890600-1294491000_thumb.jpg

post-9235-0-58008300-1294491012_thumb.jpg

Just to add to Simon's notes above.

I'd be very careful with the 27/2s as each one seems to have its own subtle differences, especially in the 1980s and post-final overhaul. 27059 is one of the examples to have lost the ETH block and mounting whilst it also has the generator exhaust port (as noted in Brian's excellent view) plated over. It retains the underframe plating also noted by Brian, but appears to have lost the actual piping which emerged from it. Cab side windows replaced by sliders as opposed to droplights. This appears to be more or less a common standard for the few locos which were overhauled 1983-85, namely 27059, 063 & 066, whilst 27058/204, 206, 207, 208, 064, 065 all kept some of the 27/2 features in various formats, such as the ETH block support on the cab front and roof ports unplated. At least 27204 and 27065 received snowploughs as well. All in all, a very mixed bag of locos and one which requires a good deal of fotopiccing to check details!

Other work done on my 27059 was to fill the gap in the front of the bogie frames and add the distinctive guard irons, as this is my first 27 without ploughs - such things usually being hidden behind the ploughs... The bogie mod to recess the springs was also done along with plating the boiler water tank gauge. As it started life as a D5348, I also had to plate the tablet catcher recess and bodyside boiler filler port as well as remove the beading across the cab front door and other brackets. Might seem an odd choice to start with, but was only way to get sliding cab side windows...!

I'm waiting for the video of 27059 tea-cupping away by the end of weekend... Despite 27059 being at Wigan for Airthrey Park's outing, it had only just arrived from Lisbon with me and hadn't been sound/chip fitted, hence was not used.

A

Just to add to Simon's notes above.

I'd be very careful with the 27/2s as each one seems to have its own subtle differences, especially in the 1980s and post-final overhaul. 27059 is one of the examples to have lost the ETH block and mounting whilst it also has the generator exhaust port (as noted in Brian's excellent view) plated over. It retains the underframe plating also noted by Brian, but appears to have lost the actual piping which emerged from it. Cab side windows replaced by sliders as opposed to droplights. This appears to be more or less a common standard for the few locos which were overhauled 1983-85, namely 27059, 063 & 066, whilst 27058/204, 206, 207, 208, 064, 065 all kept some of the 27/2 features in various formats, such as the ETH block support on the cab front and roof ports unplated. At least 27204 and 27065 received snowploughs as well. All in all, a very mixed bag of locos and one which requires a good deal of fotopiccing to check details!

Other work done on my 27059 was to fill the gap in the front of the bogie frames and add the distinctive guard irons, as this is my first 27 without ploughs - such things usually being hidden behind the ploughs... The bogie mod to recess the springs was also done along with plating the boiler water tank gauge. As it started life as a D5348, I also had to plate the tablet catcher recess and bodyside boiler filler port as well as remove the beading across the cab front door and other brackets. Might seem an odd choice to start with, but was only way to get sliding cab side windows...!

I'm waiting for the video of 27059 tea-cupping away by the end of weekend... Despite 27059 being at Wigan for Airthrey Park's outing, it had only just arrived from Lisbon with me and hadn't been sound/chip fitted, hence was not used.

A

Don't hold your breath big boy....weathering is taking centre stage. I am off the Berwick v Celtic in the morning at 8. Not coming home. Monday eve at the earliest for sound fitted 27059!

• RMweb Gold

Don't hold your breath big boy....weathering is taking centre stage. I am off the Berwick v Celtic in the morning at 8. Not coming home. Monday eve at the earliest for sound fitted 27059!

Hi Si,

You might find you won't be getting to see a match at Berwick!

If we do get the severe overnight frost and the snow that is now forecast - no way....

Yes - Gorebridge has 6" again - Berwick area has less at present. Mother in law at Reston says already got the snow and now icing up on top.

Thanks

Hi Si,

You might find you won't be getting to see a match at Berwick!

If we do get the severe overnight frost and the snow that is now forecast - no way....

Yes - Gorebridge has 6" again - Berwick area has less at present. Mother in law at Reston says already got the snow and now icing up on top.

Thanks

Ah but Philip Celtic have leant Berwick their huge hot air blanket etc etc because live on Sky. So fingers crossed I am on my way in 10 mins......

Hi Simon & Andrew,

Thank you for your help on this, 27059 looks superb and I like your use of the nose horn grilles for the round grilles, I have a spare Lima 37 body that should do for the other grilles. So unless Shawplan do a detail kit before I get started it looks like a Lima 37 body for the chop.:D Seeing your 27059 rang a bell with me, I have a few pics of her tarted up at the Basingstoke Rail event. The loco was going to work a railtour about this time and I was booked to go on it, unfortunately it was cancelled.

At the moment 27206 or 27208 are favourites as I have a pic of both. 27208 has the seem across the front of its nose so that would save me some work. oth loco's have the droplight cab windows and the model I have looked at has these.

Thanks again cheers Peter.

Archived