Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Eggs by rail

souwest

Hi all,

I hope you all had a Guid New Year!

I have seen models of vans from Express Dairies advertising "Fresh English Eggs from Westmorland (and also Devonshire) Farms". Are these authentic or wishful thinking? Also, were these the only two counties selling eggs?

Regards

Souwest

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I hope you all had a Guid New Year!

I have seen models of vans from Express Dairies advertising "Fresh English Eggs from Westmorland (and also Devonshire) Farms". Are these authentic or wishful thinking? Also, were these the only two counties selling eggs?

Regards

Souwest

The SR ones are kosher. Specific vehicle numbers are quoted by Ratio in their van kits. They quote 4 vehicles being fitted out in 1937 to Diagram 1460. Interestingly they quote these as being even-planked, while Powsides handy dry transfers quote uneven. No doubt those who know will provide chapter and verse.

The SR ones are kosher. Specific vehicle numbers are quoted by Ratio in their van kits. They quote 4 vehicles being fitted out in 1937 to Diagram 1460. Interestingly they quote these as being even-planked, while Powsides handy dry transfers quote uneven. No doubt those who know will provide chapter and verse.

Plate 74 in Bixley, G, Blackburn, A. Chorley, R. & King, M. (2002) An illustrated history of SR Wagons, Volume 4, Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 86093 564 7. 160 pages illustrates this, Yes even planking.

The LMS one is plate 84 in Essery, R, J, (1981) An illustrated history of LMS Wagons, Volume 1, Oxford Publishing Co. SBN 86093 127 7. viii + 180 pages This book has been reprinted recently.

Paul Bartlett

The LMS job was an ex L&Y van. There's a photo of one in this livery on page 233 of Coates' Lancashire and Yorkshire Wagons Volume 2. LY diagram 99. I don't fancy doing the lettering and as it's an outside frame van even rub-on transfers would be a pain.

The LMS job was an ex L&Y van. There's a photo of one in this livery on page 233 of Coates' Lancashire and Yorkshire Wagons Volume 2. LY diagram 99. I don't fancy doing the lettering and as it's an outside frame van even rub-on transfers would be a pain.

The one in Essery is new build 1937. Full VB brake rigging with auxilliary suspension, sliding door van with corrugated ventilated end.

The L& Y van appears to have been painted into this service at a similar time - 1938.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Plate 74 in Bixley, G, Blackburn, A. Chorley, R. & King, M. (2002) An illustrated history of SR Wagons, Volume 4, Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 86093 564 7. 160 pages illustrates this, Yes even planking.

My hero!

EDIT : And I've now ordered a copy of the book, so your input has sent a few pence to the authors, perhaps!

Archived