TouchCab news & updates

• 2 weeks later...

Yep - 1.8 is out.

And so am I, by the way. I'm in Berlin on a shaky wifi connection, so I haven't had time to post anything on the web site about the new release.

But have fun with it, and remember to let me know if anything breaks as you go.

Jens

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl

Downloaded the update yesterday, tried it today. Fired up the layout and I-pod and the two didn't talk to each other!  After a few minutes head scratching and restarting both with no effect I went into the options menu - command station and hit the change button, it then tuned itself, result! The only glitch I've found so far appears to be on start-up when several of the points/signals icons don't appear until you press them. Other than that it works brilliantly and the larger, bolder lettering is very helpful on 'mature' eyes!  Cheers Jens, it's a winner. Kev.

Thanks, Kev.

Sounds like there is a quick bugfix release on the horizon. I'll keep monitoring the web for a little while and see what people are struggling with ...

Hi Jens

All seems fine.......just switched on my system, and everything worked perfectly.

Looks a nice upgrade......better layout, nice bold lettering etc.,

Many thanks for your efforts Jens.

Bob.

That's strange Bob. You might have to go to the I-store on your I-pod and check for updates that way. That's what I did. Kev.

Thanks Kev,

Followed your advice....ipod now updated......I just love this Touchcab.!!

Cheers mate

Bob

Hi Guys,

I have been following this topic for a while now, and I cannot wait to give Touch Cab a go. I have the iphone and have now also brought the lenz system I finally decided on, all I need now is to decide on a layout plan ( thats the hard part ).

Just wish I could get to grips with Templot, because all of a sudden the 5metres X 6metres area of my layout room at my disposal does not give me as much space as I imagined in 7mm :swoon: .

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Guys,

I have been following this topic for a while now, and I cannot wait to give Touch Cab a go. I have the iphone and have now also brought the lenz system I finally decided on, all I need now is to decide on a layout plan ( thats the hard part ).

Just wish I could get to grips with Templot, because all of a sudden the 5metres X 6metres area of my layout room at my disposal does not give me as much space as I imagined in 7mm :swoon: .

ATB,

Martyn.

I we can help when the time comes.....fire your questions this way.

Bob

Have just downloaded the 1.8 update, released today from iTunes and it looks good, just in time for use at the Edmonton railway show this weekend. Report back on Monday!

Nigel

Well, the railway show was good, 1st time I had exhibited there. Used updated paid1.8 touchcab with iPad and iPhone (free version)on a Lenz 3.6, switched on and connected, no problem with the iPad , but experienced some movement of the speed graph, moving up and down!!, thought it could have been something to do with the loco,( had dirty pickups).

Tried to configure loco list onto the iPhone from the iPad, but failed to achieve this?

Locos in use list is good, easy to pick from main list too.

Discovered that it is SO EASY to double head, just a couple of taps, just great.

Switches are easy to control as well as crossing gates..... Must learn to open gates to allow trains to pass and not pass though!

Jens I am we'll impressed ( as where the viewing public.....what?you are controlling the trains with an iPad!)

Thanks for such a great product, and look forward to whatever you have in the pipeline......

Nigel

• Like 3

Tried to configure loco list onto the iPhone from the iPad, but failed to achieve this?

Transferring configurations is a feature in the full version, and you did say you had the free version on the iPhone, right? ;)

Discovered that it is SO EASY to double head, just a couple of taps, just great.

:locomotive:  :locomotive:

Isn't it cool? Advanced consisting is almost as easy.

• Like 1

Their aren't any Bob! Just press an hold the first loco you want to do, and the edit page will come up. At the bottom left will be the double head logo. Press this and a list of other loco's will come up, chose one and your done if I remember correctly. You do still have to make sure the directions are correct first! hth, kev.

• Like 1

Their aren't any Bob! Just press an hold the first loco you want to do, and the edit page will come up. At the bottom left will be the double head logo. Press this and a list of other loco's will come up, chose one and your done if I remember correctly. You do still have to make sure the directions are correct first! hth, kev.

Kev

if i press and hold a loco from the list, I  get 4 choices come up, Delete Loco, Edit Loco, Add A Copy and New Loco.............but no double head logo anywhere.

I'm currently using my ipod.

Any thoughts.??

Bob

Edited by 250BOB

@Bob: you're operating TouchCab in offline mode.

Doubleheading and consisting requires sending commands to the command station, so you need to be connected.

Edit: Internally, TouchCab considers offline mode just another command station that responds to touches on the user interface the way any other command station would. The user interface does not know what happens behind the scenes, but it does ask the 'command station' about its abilities. Offline mode replies that it does not support doubleheaders and consists, so you don't get the option to make any of those while in offline mode. Hence, you need a real connection to a Lenz system.

Jens

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl

@Bob: you're operating TouchCab in offline mode.

Doubleheading and consisting requires sending commands to the command station, so you need to be connected.

Edit: Internally, TouchCab considers offline mode just another command station that responds to touches on the user interface the way any other command station would. The user interface does not know what happens behind the scenes, but it does ask the 'command station' about its abilities. Offline mode replies that it does not support doubleheaders and consists. Hence, you need a real connection to a Lenz system.

Jens

Yep.............you are absolutely right Jens......it never dawned on me to go on line to try it.......off to the loft as we speak.

Will report back. :blush:

Bob

Now reporting back 30 mins later....................that is so simple, quite fantastic Jens.......love it.

many thanks again....!!!

Bob.

Edited by 250BOB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As well as the Lenz system, you also need the interface 23151 which costs £120, and a router £20. The Touchcab app is only £5 to download.

The system is brilliant, I havent touched my LH100 controllers since starting with the iPhone, and as of last night I have an iPod on the job as well.

Hi Bob,

I'm thinking of getting the Lenz system to replace my DC Gaugemaster (I also have a Hornby Select, but the less said of that the better!)

I was considering the Lenz StartSET100 (LZV100+LH100) since that's cheaper than buying the two components separately. But would you say that the LH100 is pretty much redundant? In which case, I'd be better off getting the LZV100 (or holding out for the LZV200) and putting Touchcab on my iPhone.

Hi Bob,

I'm thinking of getting the Lenz system to replace my DC Gaugemaster (I also have a Hornby Select, but the less said of that the better!)

I was considering the Lenz StartSET100 (LZV100+LH100) since that's cheaper than buying the two components separately. But would you say that the LH100 is pretty much redundant? In which case, I'd be better off getting the LZV100 (or holding out for the LZV200) and putting Touchcab on my iPhone.

Hi Truffy

I have two LH100 controllers, and iphone and an ipod..........simply because there are several of us operating my layout at a time...great fun.

I wouldnt wait around for the LVZ200, I cant imagine it being any better than the faultless LVZ100 I have used for over 6 years.

I love the iphone and ipad....wireless control has to be the way forward.

However.......you need a lenz interface unit (23151 and about £125)....and a wireless router, a specific one from Argos does the job first time....£20..

If you read the following thread, starting about page 3, you will see the story of me starting with the iphone.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58736-decoder-pro-3-help-and-now-a-successful-touchcab-user/

You cant avoid getting an LH100, you need it to program, something the Touchcab system doesnt do.

I have to say I think Touchcab is wonderful....if you love your iphone, youll love Touchcab.

Any questions, just fire away.

Bob