Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

1) what CAD package did you use, and was it wire frame, surface or solid modelling?

AutoCAD 2000 given to me when I retired

I use 2D wireframe, 3D wireframe, surface and solid modelling, whichever suits the job in hand

2) are the viaducts the ones that are always being shown on telly programmes set in Manchester?

If you are talking about 'Coronation Street', the answer is no. Their viaduct is just a brick facade

The nearest viaduct to Granada Studios is just north of Liverpool Street by the site of the Manchester & Liverpool Railway. The Castlefield and Cornbrook viaducts are south of Liverpool Street, and the LNWR viaducts to the West across the River Irwell

Thanks for your interest

Ron

Hi,

Superb detail, two questions if I may:

Are the components machine cut from the CAD program?

What adhesive / solvent do you use

Cheers

Mike

Hi, Mike

If I had a Laser Cutter, then yes I would use the CAD program. But no such luck, not at £2500+. So all the plastic is measured and cut by hand :(

You may have noticed in the last picture the bridge span is actually supported off two bottles of EMA Plastic Weld. Impossible to obtain in Spain, and difficult to get delivered by post to Spain. But there are amenable model suppliers

I do use Butanone for my track building, but again cannot be sourced in Spain, nor can it be shipped to Spain. But as it is essentially MEK, the local plumbing outlet sells this as a primer for uPVC and PVC piping before the application of adhesive, and it is cheap

The biggest problem using these solvents is the evaporation rate [it is slightly warmer over here than it is in the UK], when the bottle is open for even the shortest time. I am looking for a very narrow necked bottle, which should reduce this problem

2) are the viaducts the ones that are always being shown on telly programmes set in Manchester?

Ed

Ron/Ed

I think that they are. Ed, are you referring to the often used scene with multiple wrought iron viaducts crossing a canal, over which crosses an arched, wrought iron, footbridge? It's featured in countless Manchester based dramas over the years. If so, that is the Castlefield basin, just behind the YMCA, close to Liverpool Road Goods Depot and the viaducts are those which, variously, served Central, the Great Northern Goods Warehouse and the line to Oxford Road. It's a hundred yards or so north of Deansgate, so on the opposite side to Central. I'm not sure whether Ron intends to model that far out but it's essentially the same run of viaducts.

Arthur

Ron/Ed

I think that they are. Ed, are you referring to the often used scene with multiple wrought iron viaducts crossing a canal, over which crosses an arched, wrought iron, footbridge? It's featured in countless Manchester based dramas over the years. If so, that is the Castlefield basin, just behind the YMCA, close to Liverpool Road Goods Depot and the viaducts are those which, variously, served Central, the Great Northern Goods Warehouse and the line to Oxford Road. It's a hundred yards or so north of Deansgate, so on the opposite side to Central. I'm not sure whether Ron intends to model that far out but it's essentially the same run of viaducts.

Arthur

I can just about visualise where you are now. It just shows you how little TV I actually get to see. I believe the arched footbridge you mention is a later addition to the area, after the railways disappeared and before the Metrolink was introduced

The intention is to model as far west as the viaduct bridges extend

med_gallery_10633_1305_29244.jpgModel layout extent

Regards

Ron

• Like 1

Ron, yes, that whole area has been gentrified over recent years and though on TV it's usually used to represent the seedy underbelly of the big city, the reality is that it's rather more urban heritage trail today.

Yes, those are what I'm thinking of. It was rather inconsiderate of you to move to Spain before you built it, the exhibition managers may baulk at your expenses claim!!

Ed

Yes, but there was just no room in our 4 bed detached for a 10m x 5m layout plus access around it, and the milder climate here did beckon. We were lucky that the second villa we viewed had an underbuild which could house my intended layout, after the internal walls were removed. Building licence has been applied for and work should start early this coming summer

I think the prospect of moving the largest model structure once insitu i.e. the train shed, some 2200mm x 850mm would frighten even me

Maybe a professional video at some time in the future would be a more practical approach to enabling public viewing

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Modelling the 1877 viaduct bridge #1 - Continuation

Within each pair of the central braces a unique set of 4 pairs of shaped strip braces are positioned. Shown RED in the picture below

post-10633-0-35804200-1297631008_thumb.png

post-10633-0-03221200-1297631031_thumb.jpg

Deck Beams

The deck is produced from 40th plasticard supported on deck beams in the form of RSJs. These are produced from 40th x 7.5mm and 40th x 4mm strips

The beams are fitted at the same centres as the vertical trusses. Four transverse beams made from 20th x 5mm and 2.5mm strips are placed between each pair of deck beams. Additionally, angle strips are provided as deck plate fixings

post-10633-0-52230700-1297631053_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-97741600-1297631069_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-65025900-1297631088_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-01676300-1297631104_thumb.jpg

Overhead Span Braces

Two overhead brace assemblies are positioned as shown on the bridge plan, and photo

post-10633-0-99279300-1297631143_thumb.png

Each assembly is produced from 20th strips and 40th plasticard

post-10633-0-08396500-1297631162_thumb.png

post-10633-0-82119100-1297631202_thumb.jpg

The bracings are positioned on both external faces of the two truss members, with the opposing braces sandwiched between the two truss members

The complete bridge structure is below

post-10633-0-77118700-1297631239_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-01094400-1297631268_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-21300800-1297631325_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-73675800-1297631290_thumb.jpg

The structure now awaits some additional items, such as a handrail/barrier fixed to the eastern end of the north span, used to protect the open space between this viaduct bridge and the adjacent 1894 viaduct bridge

Painting and weathering will proceed at some time in the future when all the viaduct bridges will be treated simultaneously

The bridge deck will be covered with cork prior to track laying and ballasting

• Like 8

Modelling the 1877 viaduct bridge #2

This viaduct bridge is the Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #2, which is some 50 metres west of Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #1

This Google link shows the relevant juxtaposition of the viaduct bridges -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=k&ll=53.474702,-2.256977&spn=0.002439,0.010278&z=18

Bridge #1 is to the right, whilst Bridge #2 is to the left. The long viaduct bridge to the North of these other two viaduct bridges is the Castlefield Viaduct 1894

The following drawings have been produced on CAD, with details taken from OS map, archive and present day photographs

post-10633-0-91770100-1297632616_thumb.jpg

The overall length is 1444mm, with a height to the top of the decorative pillars of 333mm

The length of the western span is 848mm, and the eastern span is 596mm

The width of the side cross-bracings varies between the end and centre sections of each bridge span

The bracing members are constructed as trusses in only one diagonal direction in each span

Details will be given as the construction proceeds

post-10633-0-58526300-1297632660_thumb.jpg

Cross-section and true-length side truss detail

post-10633-0-57816500-1297632697_thumb.jpg

Face and Side Elevations

Note: The pillars are elliptical in cross-section

To be continued - with construction as it proceeds

• Like 5

Ron,

Impressive modelling. Your attention to detail is both astonishing and inspirational. I hope the video/DVD comes off as I would love to see it. Perhaps one of the modelling magazines could approach you to make a DVD showing how you go about building these fabulous structures. As Bolton is my birthplace I have travelled over the adjacent viaducts many times and you have captured them beautifully.

Keep the pics and video clips ;-) coming.

Many thanks

Jeff

Just completed the first of 148 cross-braced brace trusses

post-10633-0-08339500-1297808506_thumb.png

(The truss is an attempt at a true scale copy of the existing steel structure, so the plastic strip thickness is extremely thin at 10th , a scale ¾â€

5th would be nearer true scale, but would be far to flimsy and susceptible to solvent meltdown (dissolving)

Other than this diversion from scale, the remaining dimensions are scale)

It was intended as a trial build, but it has turned out successful

post-10633-0-81481500-1297808620_thumb.png

They are each 116mm long and produced from 10th plastic strip

The 28 individual cross-brace strips are 10th x 0.75mm x 8.5mm fixed at 7.25 centres

14 of each fixed to each side of 10th x 1mm x 116 strips spaced 5mm apart

Additional strips 10th x 2mm x 116mm are fixed to the outer edges to form T section beams

The final overall dimensions of the brace truss is 7.5mm wide x 2mm deep x 116mm long

Is it robust and undistorted? Yes

It is obviously very light and could easily be inadvertently damaged by mishandling

So here goes for another 147

The total is made up of –

32 with 3.75mm wide T beams

76 with 3mm wide T beams

40 with 2mm wide T beams

• Like 4

Have you thought about going in to production with these models, or even make em in to kit forms? Only asking as these models are excellent! Detailing is near enough perfect! I know i would buy one if the prices are right!

The biggest problem using these solvents is the evaporation rate [it is slightly warmer over here than it is in the UK], when the bottle is open for even the shortest time. I am looking for a very narrow necked bottle, which should reduce this problem

Suggestion:

construct a hollow box in a waterproof material with a hole in the lid of the appropriate size for your bottle (or cut a hole in the local 'Ware del Tupper'). Better yet, add a tubular metal insert to fit the bottle.

Fill with crushed ice and add bottle - this ought to help with evaporation rate and add stability.

You could even make two - fill with water (allowing for expansion) or even fill with those reusable ice-cube thingies; then put the whole unit in the freezer. Keep one as back up so that there's always one at the ready to swap.

Having just had this bout of 'pulsing brain', I'll be doing this myself when I come to build my track

• Like 1

Suggestion:

construct a hollow box in a waterproof material with a hole in the lid of the appropriate size for your bottle (or cut a hole in the local 'Ware del Tupper'). Better yet, add a tubular metal insert to fit the bottle.

Fill with crushed ice and add bottle - this ought to help with evaporation rate and add stability.

You could even make two - fill with water (allowing for expansion) or even fill with those reusable ice-cube thingies; then put the whole unit in the freezer. Keep one as back up so that there's always one at the ready to swap.

Having just had this bout of 'pulsing brain', I'll be doing this myself when I come to build my track

Hi, Shamouti

Thanks for your suggestion. I have two of those picnic cooler packs lying around, so will try them out

Thanks again

Ron

Have you thought about going in to production with these models, or even make em in to kit forms? Only asking as these models are excellent! Detailing is near enough perfect! I know i would buy one if the prices are right!

Hi, Ian

Thanks for your comments. Will have to put that suggestion on the back burner for the moment. But may consider bespoke structures in the short term, if anyone wants a particular bridge, etc constructed in plastic

Ron

Hello Ron,

Fabulous work.

When you cut out multiple components how do you ensure all lengths and angled cuts are the same?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi, Ben

Thanks for your comments

Original components are produced and checked for dimensional accuracy with a digital caliper

Individual component lengths are checked by placing side by side with the ends against a steel rule. Any noticably shorter or longer items are checked against an original component. Any which do not fall witihin an acceptable tolerance are consigned to plastic containers for future re-use

Similarly, angled components are stacked on top of one another. Any which show a greater or lesser angle are checked against an original component, and unacceptable items are placed in plastic containers for re-use

Acceptable precision and accuracy, are a judgement made by the modeller, and dependant on the model and the need to construct as an accurate structure as required to fulfill the modellers requirement, be it for effect and to portray a prototype

In the end it is all personal judgement

Ron

Amazing. ohmy.gif

How long do you expect it will take you to make these?

Hi,

Just finished the first 10 trusses. They take approx. 30 minutes each, so that means about another 70 hours work :(

But this may be reduced due to some simplification of the assembly routine

Ron

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Just finished the first 10 trusses. They take approx. 30 minutes each, so that means about another 70 hours work :(

But this may be reduced due to some simplification of the assembly routine

Ron

Things always get quicker when you work out how to cheat. wink.gif

75 hours, just to make components for a larger structure..... This is certainly an epic of a model! I can only admire your dedication.

How many micro layouts could you build in that much time Stu. ohmy.gif