Pickering Station Roof

mikemeg

Will it be moving? Ten levers must be a tight squeeze!

It would have been nice for a nice big NER 'box at the southern end to control all station movements, maybe in readiness for the push south?! :lol:

I did nip into Pickering Station, late Friday afternoon April 1st, to check whether the trains on the following day would be using the full length of the station, only to find that they already were. So I missed the first train or loco to travel under the new roof.

Anyway, I'll close this thread with a couple of photos taken on that day, the one of the view from the north end of the station and the other of the NYMR's standard class 4 actually being pulled out of the station by the loco on the other end of this train. Still, as this isn't a video then only the most expert would know that this class 4 is in reverse gear.

I wonder what their next major project might be?

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-01351800-1301912587_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-99621000-1301912608_thumb.jpg

Mikemeg= "I wonder what their next major project might be?"

James= "maybe in readiness for the push south?! laugh.gif"

i dont need to write what i'm thinking just guess from the quotes

Please don't misinterpret this question, for it is just that - a question. I have no idea what the NYMR may be planning though looking at what lies south of the current 'end of the line' I do find it difficult to imagine how they could thread the railway through a main road, a river, a car park and various newly erected buildings to go further south.

Cheers

Mike

i really dont want to make an arguement or disagreement of any sort, but i know that you dont know what theyre doing either, and i just had the same idea as james and i wanted to use quotes instead.

now can we please get back to the roof.

Well we've had an ex-LMS black 5 under the roof and a BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0, so here's another picture guaranteed to stir the emotions or raise the hackles. This one is of the ex Southern Railway S15, taken yesterday afternoon April 6th. So only representative(s) of the LNER and GWR still to travel under the roof as yet; I wonder which will get there first?

Incidentally, a large pile of signal box bits has appeared at the southern end of Platform 2; stuff like bits of lever frame and levers. Could be that the signal box resurection is about to begin.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-20185000-1302181925_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did nip into Pickering Station, last Friday afternoon, April 15th just to see if there was anything worth photographing which had not already been photographed. The station roof is now almost complete with the last of the tiles and ridge tiles now being added.

Just as I was admiring the work on the roof, a train did arrive from Grosmont, headed by 9F 92214. I'm perhaps not the greatest fan of the BR standards but these locomotives would have to be excepted from that, for they are massively impressive.

It really is strange how the whole air of Pickering Station has now changed with the new roof; it seems a much larger place.

Hopefully I'll see you all when we start up the Pickering Signal Box and Grosmont Signal Bridge threads when those projects really get under way.

So I'll leave this with a photo of a mighty locomotive under the new roof on Pickering Station, on a quite splendid early Spring afternoon. Isn't this what the thousands of visitors come to see and isn't this how we would choose to remember these great engines.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-61046300-1303130120_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-38346500-1303131944_thumb.jpg

Do you think it will be quicker/slower than 4 years?

It does look knackered on the outside at the moment so the cosmetic overhaul will take a while nevermind mechanical:

D5061 leads D7541 on its final NYMR Millage to New Bridge yard

At Buckfastleigh now apparently. http://www.southdevonrailwayassociation.org/News-and-Press-Releases/D7541_Arrival.html

I'll have to pop over to the NYMR sometime, never been there..

I stand corrected and obviously South Devon have a quicker web page updater than NYMR. :lol:

NYMR is well worth a visit though not just for the railway but the stunning countryside that it is in as well.

that class 25 is in a well bad state, cab floors if you look from the bogie upwards you see the cab roof, and in side the engine room theres a hell of a lot of rust n rot where the water has run in from where the turboswould be and they are missing and over years its stood out of use, the loco was stopped in 1998 pending overhaul. i dont see them completing the restoration in 4 years due to the amount of work its gonna take

the station roof is well nice tho

We popped up to Pickering for lunch today as it was my first Saturday off in ages!

The roof, although with some minor snagging work still ongoing by the looks of it, is delightful! Much lighter inside than I was expecting! GT Andrews obviously knew his stuff!

post-125-0-83746900-1304192405_thumb.jpg

We had a little boy with us who loved watching the locos and spent the day making whistle type noises! :lol: Even being a few feet away from 80135 didn't seem to phase him! Though I was getting sick of the numbers of middle aged men shoving people out of the way all take idnetical photographs!

Even being a few feet away from 80135 didn't seem to phase him!

I assume you mean 80072. 80135 is in the workshop awaiting a major overhaul. 80072 has come up specially for the gala to run as the one time Whitby engines 80116-80120.

I assume you mean 80072.

Assume away! The exact loco doesn't actualy matter in the context I was using it in here does it? I was making the point my little boy was, it seemed, more than happy in the company of steam locomotives!

That's a shame though - I don't keep up with a lot of the preservation scene. So it means 80135 will re-appear in that hideously inaccurate green. I did wonder with the temporary number on the bunker and WR lamp irons.

post-125-0-23283100-1304243670_thumb.jpg

But why not run as one of the Whitby all the time while its the 175 gala?

Archived