Pickering Station Roof

mikemeg

it ran as 80116 on friday and over the weekend it ran as 80135 and there is another number change or 2 before the gala is over along with renumber of pocket rocket again and i do believe they will be whitby based locos, Well thats the plan they intend to do with them both

the duke looks well and first run on friday the 9.30am of grosmont it got stuck on the bank and took 29mins to do grosmont to goathland, hmmmm drizzle n only put 1 bag of sand in = getting stuck, when they got back to grosmont it took 24 bags to fill it :)

it ran as 80116 on friday and over the weekend it ran as 80135 and there is another number change or 2 before the gala is over along with renumber of pocket rocket again and i do believe they will be whitby based locos, Well thats the plan they intend to do with them both

Just seems a shame to run it as 80135 - maybe it'll help persuade people in North Yorkshire that a standard 4 tank on the line in lined black looks perfect!

Just seems a shame to run it as 80135 - maybe it'll help persuade people in North Yorkshire that a standard 4 tank on the line in lined black looks perfect!

It might convince them but I am not sure it will happen, the loco was bought by Jos De Crau along with I think it was Dame Vera, which he later donated to the line. Part of the agreement was that they keep it in his preferred livery - BR lined green. At least it ain't in Caledonian or any other Wrenn style livery :lol:.

It might convince them but I am not sure it will happen, the loco was bought by Jos De Crau along with I think it was Dame Vera, which he later donated to the line. Part of the agreement was that they keep it in his preferred livery - BR lined green. At least it ain't in Caledonian or any other Wrenn style livery :lol:.

Such a shame if that's the case - I think I'll badger one of the trustees! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I'm probably being controversial about 80135 but what's wrong with having it in NYMR green livery anyway given it is on the NYMR? When first done that way, yes it probably should have been BR black, now though green has become the proper livery for it through time carried.

It has probably been in preservation carrying NYMR/de Crau green now for more years than it ran in the black of the short BR service period so arguably it would be more unprototypical to put it back into black now in 2011 than to keep it as is!!

It looks superb in green, and crucially it is no longer a BR owned engine, so arguably if anything is prototypically wrong with the current livery it is just the fact it still carries a BR logo/crest and not an NYMR one.

All very true John (apart from the bit about being unprototypical for it to carry lined black - that's just a silly thing to say) but the sight of an ex-works 4MTT in lined black on a rake of carmine and cream mark 1s running under the new roof would look superb!

• RMweb Gold
(apart from the bit about being unprototypical for it to carry lined black - that's just a silly thing to say)

Yes, that was a bit tongue in cheek, but not that silly an observation for what is possibly a one-off in preservation where the originally non-authentic livery it got painted in has subsequently become the de-facto correct livery through time carried.

It did carry black for a time in a previous ownership era so obviously black is one of two now prototypical options for painting it (1) BR Black & (2) NYMR lined green. However in % terms it has been running in NYMR green for much longer than it did BR black so my point, perhaps not that well worded, was green is "right" for this specific loco now. Given that it remains in NYMR ownership green has become the correct, current, prototypical livery for it in a way that wouldn't currently apply to any of the other surviving BR 2-6-4Ts.

I'll be honest, I really don't care how long it's been green! For a long time it was a hideous shade of green anyway! Certainly not BR green...

I would love to see 80135 in lined black with an early crest as it seems appropriate for the line and I like them in that livery. Simple as that!

I'll be honest, I really don't care how long it's been green! For a long time it was a hideous shade of green anyway! Certainly not BR green...

I would love to see 80135 in lined black with an early crest as it seems appropriate for the line and I like them in that livery. Simple as that!

I've only ever seen it in Green, and since it's the only one I've seen thus far, thought it was Green in BR days. I wanted to number my Bachmann one as 80135, but my Bachmann one is Black. I thought, "flip it anywho" and numbered it 80135.

Glad I did now.....:D

Just to get back on track, I visited last weekend and thought the new roof looked awesome. I took a picture of the 24 arriving, but it was on me mobile, and I'm not sure how to upload it.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

the sight of an ex-works 4MTT in lined black on a rake of carmine and cream mark 1s running under the new roof would look superb!

So think what an NER class W with crimson lake clerestory's would look like... cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

80135 being green had nothing to do with the NYMR, it was stipulated by the locomotives owner Jos De Crau, however the loco is now under NYMR ownership and once overhauled perhaps it's livery may change, but if the trust ask the membership I for one and I suspect many others would vote to keep it green.

A fair enough question.

Out of respect for Jos De Crau, who did a great deal for the NYMR.

And because I actually like it, there are plenty of other standard 4 tanks in preservation in the correct livery.

J.P.

I can understand the reason but I think 80135 in lined black could be a nice little bit of publicity, even if just for a couple of years, especially for a loco with an 'authentic' appearance to be seen beneath the roof.

At least it ain't in Caledonian or any other Wrenn style livery :lol:.

But what loco is in a Wrenn style livery?

That roof looks stunning. I must get back over there to see it in person. Jim when are you having your next p##s up in one of you Gresleys.

OzzyO.

That old chestnut. 2073 was in L.N.W.R. livery at the same time but no one says any thing about that, maybe because it was in blackberry black.

Anyway 2085 in now in B.R. black and has been for some time. IIRC one of them has the early B.R. crest and one has the later crest.

2085 did look good in that livery. Around the same time you had green black 5s, a black 5 painted in F.R. hematite red, the K.&W.V.R. painting Ivett class 2s in red etc. etc.

We should just be glad that they were preserved. After all it's just a coat of paint.

OzzyO.

Well this thread seems to have rolled on, so I took another detour, yesterday May 4th, to see what was happening during the celebrations of 175 Years since the Whitby to Pickering railway was opened.

There is still work taking place on the roof; this to complete the ornamental soffits between the edge of the roof and the station walls.

I didn't get to see 71000 Duke of Gloucester working though I remembered that the one and only time I ever saw this locomotive, on Crewe North shed, was May 5th 1961 - now exactly half a century ago. Even then it was languishing forlorn in Crewe North's roundhouse though I think still working. A far cry from its beautifully kept condition now.

So a photo of one of the NYMR's Black 5's, perhaps evoking memories of those Sunday excursions of the 1950's and 60's.

Incredible how many photographers were out and about on Pickering Station, yesterday; testament, I guess, to the enduring fascination which so many have for these most photogenic of machines.

Strange how this station now looks much more 'main line' with its roof.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-00843900-1304586019_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-46675600-1304586065_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That old chestnut. 2073 was in L.N.W.R. livery at the same time but no one says any thing about that, maybe because it was in blackberry black.

Anyway 2085 in now in B.R. black and has been for some time. IIRC one of them has the early B.R. crest and one has the later crest.

2085 did look good in that livery. Around the same time you had green black 5s, a black 5 painted in F.R. hematite red, the K.&W.V.R. painting Ivett class 2s in red etc. etc.

We should just be glad that they were preserved. After all it's just a coat of paint.

OzzyO.

Without wanting to get OT, 42085 ran over the Malton-Whitby line - I've seen a photo of it in an old Railway World Annual - 1971, iirc...

Back OT - the roof is spectacular - can't wait to see it 'for real' - well done to all concerned :)

Archived