Pickering Station Roof

mikemeg

Not a full loco but 80135 has 80116's boiler, which was a Whitby engine.

J.P.

And we know that both 62005 and 65894 ran over the line in BR days.

As did both parts of the NYMRs 101 unit, but attached to different vehicles.

I made my first visit as an adult bringing my children this weekend. I drove past this station many years ago on a family holiday tour of North Yorkshire.

The station looks amazing, the line and scenery breathtaking

Tornado was there and Grosmont sheds were awesome both myself (39) amd my little boys (7 & 8) were blown away

The staff were incredibly helpful and passionate about the railway. A real credit to thee preservation movement.

I made my now customary and weekly detour to Pickering Station, yesterday, on a glorious late spring afternoon. Around 4.30 the station seemed to fill with dozens of people sporting cameras. As luck would have it I managed to photograph the 4.40 arrival from Grosmont, as did literally dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of others; the photographs perhaps show why.

That station roof is now acquiring a very authetic looking layer of soot and grime at its southern end.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-31359800-1307007750_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-05539500-1307007772_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-48200200-1307007792_thumb.jpg

Bloody noisy thing that 'nado is too! Doesn't look bad under the roof though. It got stuck on the curve in platform 2 the other day, took a serious amount of shifting by all accounts too,

I was talking to a couple of the A1 Trust guys on Pickering Station but neither mentioned its getting stuck on Platform 2's curve. Strange, as the A4's don't seem to have too much problem on that curve and their wheelbase is at least as long.

Back in the mid 1960's we used to regularly 'bunk' Hull Dairycoates loco shed, as much to check the scrap line in Dairycoates Seven Section as to visit the running shed. Albert Draper, a Hull scrap merchant, cut up a number of A1's and A3's, as well as examples of many other classes. I can still remember looking at 60145 - Saint Mungo - as it languished there on that scrap line, forlornly awaiting its fate and thinking 'that's the end of another class, never to be seen again'.

So to see one again is quite something.

Cheers

Mike

Bloody noisy thing that 'nado is too!

They were always noisy, the A1's. Even just stood, once the blower was opened they made what I can only describe as a hollow roar and this one is just the same. Perhaps it adds to the authenticity of it.

One thing the A1 Trust guys did mention is how many mods Doncaster made to these locos through their working lives, short as that was. Things like smoothing and polishing up the boiler throat plate and foundation ring to avoid hot spots on it; hot spots which would eventually burn through. Most of these modifications were never documented, at least not officially, so the A1 Trust is having to re-learn many of these lessons under operating conditions, just as the running staff and maintenance staff in the sheds and works did in the 1950's and 60's.

Cheers

Mike

I too have been on the Pickering station roof pilgrimage

5727059445_34f9808be1_m.jpg

New roof by ta||tim, on Flickr

The Railway Preservation movement, in this country, is doing some incredible things, across all of the locations now operated by those various groups. I guess this project (the new station roof) has captured the imagination a little more than most, particularly as it is so visible.

For someone who saw the end of steam on BR and who saw the closures resulting from the 1963 Beeching Report, even though my interest had waned long before that end, to see what has been and is being achieved is amazing and testament to the thousands of dedicated enthusiasts and volunteers whose efforts have allowed us all to see again and to relive something of those halcyon days.

I gather that part of this Pickering project is to re-erect part of the Church Fenton ex-NER station canopy over the picnic area on the west side of the station.

Just simply amazing.

Cheers

Mike

. Albert Draper, a Hull scrap merchant, cut up a number of A1's and A3's, as well as examples of many other classes. I can still remember looking at 60145 - Saint Mungo - as it languished there on that scrap line, forlornly awaiting its fate and thinking 'that's the end of another class, never to be seen again'.

So to see one again is quite something.

Cheers

Mike

So to see a loco named after the scrap man is better?

OzzyO.

I was talking to a couple of the A1 Trust guys on Pickering Station but neither mentioned its getting stuck on Platform 2's curve. Strange, as the A4's don't seem to have too much problem on that curve and their wheelbase is at least as long.

Can't think why they didn't mention it!

:laugh:

The generally accepted reason is that they have recently tightened the brake rodding slightly, and when the loco got onto the tightest part of the curve, the rod pulled tight and put the brakes on. Because it was going at slow speed and didn't have the weight of a train behind it, this then brought the loco to a stand. It's not the first time it has happened, the Q6 had the same problem last year as well.

So to see a loco named after the scrap man is better?

OzzyO.

To see a loco named after the scrap man - Albert Draper - is, perhaps, a little ironical, but he did, apparently, save it from the cutter's torch, even if the cutter's torch was his own.

Most folk would have wished he saved an A1 rather than yet another Black 5. That said, then the A1 Trust would probably have been the A2 Trust instead.

Cheers

Mike

Had a rather nice visit to Grosmont yesterday (didn't get to Pickering though - that trip for another day).

5797330643_6a05a97ce5_b.jpg

Tornado is still the superstar, her every movement filling the platforms and promontories!

5797887866_089bb75b71_b.jpg

The NYMR Equal Opportunities Employment policy has been a resounding success, here a headless man finds gainful employment operating the water crane to top up J72 69023

5797891670_134a9df0c3_b.jpg

I have a penchant for detail shots like this. Standard Class 4 76079

5797336855_d91316cf57_b.jpg

I'm not an expert but it seems to me that dear old 76079 is getting a little well "leaky"?

5797895962_f072a54e26_b.jpg

And after a short walk up the "Railtrail" I found some parked diesels! Be very very quiet and they may not hear us!

A lovely day out, after the scorching hot weather all week we had an overcast day not ideal for photography. But it was great to see Tornado in her "Sunday" best and still very much the rockstar! Highlight for me though was the little J72 operating the Grosmont to Goathland shuttle with a NER Clerestory, the officers saloon and what looked to my inexpert eye like a Thompson coach in crimson. There are some more photos on my Flickr click here

Oh and compliments to the catering staff I bought a pork pie from the Tea Room at Grosmont and it was absolutely fantastic, a proper butcher's pork pie. Wonderful. A "boo" to the North Yorshire Moors car park people who have put up the car park to £4 a day and made the bloke on the gate redundant in favour of a machine of rather confusing function. Progress? I think not.

I'll be back later in the year to "do the line" proper. (As we say oop north)

Archived