South Wales industrial railways

Brian

Very interesting to see your photos, thanks for posting them.

Refering to the Mardy Peckett you say..

"the Mardy beast" a Peckett 0-6-0ST 2150/54 originally built for the Slough Estates Railway "

It was built new for Mardy as was its sister loco P2151. The design is thought to be from a Peckett proposal to the Steel Company of Wales for Port Talbot, Peckett used it when the NCB wanted locos for Tower and Mardy collieries. These locos were 18" the Slough Estates loco you mean was No.6 which went to Merthyr Vale Colliery Aberfan and that was a 16" loco and much smaller.

"the Mardy beast" a Peckett 0-6-0ST 2150/54 originally built for the Slough Estates Railway "

It was built new for Mardy as was its sister loco P2151. The design is thought to be from a Peckett proposal to the Steel Company of Wales for Port Talbot, Peckett used it when the NCB wanted locos for Tower and Mardy collieries. These locos were 18" the Slough Estates loco you mean was No.6 which went to Merthyr Vale Colliery Aberfan and that was a 16" loco and much smaller.

Yep, you are right, my mistake.

Well spotted,

Brian R

I must apologise for the very poor quality of this slide, taken using my then Kodak Instamatic- and against the light, so close that I was almost in shadow as well.

Anyway, excuses out of the way - In 1973 my careers teacher, who also taught me Economics, asked who would be interested in two weeks work experience at the GKN Castle & Tremorfa Works.

Knowing my potential for advancement into tertiary education was diminishing fast, I took up his offer.

Now, across the road from the one entrance to the Castle Works were the workshops of Wagon Repairs Ltd. which were on the east side of the Bute West Dock, just north of the site of Cardiff East Dock shed. Further along the dockside had been the Cambrian Wagon Works (/) repair facility, and then a scrap yard containing Cardiff's trolley 'bus fleet that had been made redundant a few years earlier.

Most of which is now underneath the Celsa (UK), Cardiff Rod Mill, and there Docks Link Road.

Here, in 1973 I snapped the resident Hibberd 'Planet' No. "L3" FH 3044/45 shunting sixteen tonners in for repair alongside East Moors Road.

The loco arrived here in 1962 from the company's Port Tennant works in Swansea where it had been "Swanea No.2".

Prior to that it had been at the Wellingborough works until about 1960, when it was sent to Swansea via Hibberd's Park Royal works, and repair.

After the Cardiff works closed, "L3" was transferred to Horbury Works, Wakefield.

I love these little locos, and just wish a 7mm kit was available. (Does anyone have drawings, or some dimensions they could send me/ scan or whatever - please ?)

Brian R

post-1599-0-89817100-1297150482_thumb.jpg

Brian,

Can I suggest that, if no-one else knows of any drawings, you contact Nonneminstre Models. They produce a 4mm scale kit of a Hibberd Planet loco very similar to the one in your slide, so may well have drawings or know of sources of information.

Regards

Alastair

Can I suggest that, if no-one else knows of any drawings, you contact Nonneminstre Models. They produce a 4mm scale kit of a Hibberd Planet loco very similar to the one in your slide, so may well have drawings or know of sources of information.

Thanks Alastair,

I'd had the mercenary thought of buying one, using it as a "template" - then selling on the 4mm version !

I have some, almost side on views (see above) of the former Midland Silicones (Cadoxton) loco, so could knock up a (reasonably accurate) elevation from that.

They would make a change from the 48DS (of which my Impetus example is undergoing a prolonged rebuild, just like the prototype, gearbox probs).

Brian

Photos of 2 of them here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=57221 just beyond halfway down page.

The coke works also employed three wire electric locos, to push the coke car as the ovens were emptied, and two diesel locos. Unfortunately, I didn't enter the coke plant.

These are two of the wire electric locos.

This is brilliant stuff Brian, please keep it coming!

Hope all is well in Cardiff - the six nations has made me miss the place!

Thanks Pix - how's life after Uni ?

I've got a few pics left, including some of the NCB Mountain Ash diesels (not too good), a 4wBE from Llanharry haemetite mine (at the original WIMM), and two of a Hibberd 'Planet' in A.E.Knill's scrapyard, Barry.

As for Cardiff and Six Nations days, I keep away, it's not the 'real' rugby fans that bother me (being a football fan) but the troglodites that think it's acceptable to come down to the big city, marvel at the electric lights, get drunk, strip off and bring up their donner kebabs all over my fair city !

A little known fact about the Six Nations is that South Wales Police roster extra domestic violence officers to work on those days, because they detected a trend of increased domestic violence on the days when rugby internationals are played !

Brian

After last Sundays South Wales derby match;

Jacks-0 v 1-Mars Bars (Bellamy)

I couldn't resist this picture of a topically named Ruston 48DS.

RH 393302/55 was delivered new to the Aluminium Wire & cable Co. Port Tennant, where it worked until preserved at the Swansea Indsutrial & maritime Museum in November, 1975.

Twelve years later it passed to the Gwili Railway, where the photo was taken.

Brian R

PS

'Swansea Jack' was a dog, who achieved fame after saving a drowning soul from Swansea Bay. His feat was recognised by naming a pub after him; and ever since the local inhabitants have been referred to as 'Jacks'.

post-1599-0-92492100-1297196986_thumb.jpg

This loco became something of a local landmark in Barry Docks where it stood in the scrapyard of A.E. Knill Ltd for almost twelve years.

Another Hibberd 'Planet' (of the more modern design than those shown above-which resembled Picasso's impression of a shoe box) it was FH 2601/42.

The loco was purchased from the Redpath Dorman Long, Treorchy Works around November, 1978.

It was eventually reduced to its component parts and shipped abroad around 1990-1991.

Anyone fancy this weathered paint finish ?

Brian R

post-1599-0-57309700-1297235724_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-74452800-1297235742_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pix - how's life after Uni ?

Not too bad thanks Bri - still unemployed but it's given me some modelling time. Every cloud and all that, I guess.

Here's one little nugget that I've come across recently after a tip off from Hywel T - the Henry Morris Baltic Oil Works down on Portland Street in Newport. Not an industrial railway I'll admit, but a rail-served industry. I've had my eye on modelling one or two of their small fleet of six wagons for Roath for a while, but I'd never really got anywhere with the project as I didn't have any dimensions or drawings for the tanks to go from. After a quick email to Hywel to see if he had anything he not only gave me everytihng in his records but told me the wagons are still in existance - they're even viewable on GoogleEarth! I think a road trip is in order at somepoint to take some measurements... maybe I'll try to tie it in with SWAG meet?

henrymorris.jpg

Pix

Not too bad thanks Bri - still unemployed but it's given me some modelling time. Every cloud and all that, I guess.

You have my sympathies - it's a horrible time to be looking for work. I was out of work for nine months. But plenty of modelling time, cricket and playing with my pet human :)

Hope you find something soon :)

Here's one little nugget that I've come across recently after a tip off from Hywel T - the Henry Morris Baltic Oil Works down on Portland Street in Newport. I think a road trip is in order at somepoint to take some measurements... maybe I'll try to tie it in with SWAG meet?

Good luck on the job front Pix

Baltic Oil Works - I'd completely forgotten about the wagons.

The building was always a landmark for me, having seen pictures of WC / BB & MN Pacifics standing forlornly in Newport Docks, with the wording "BALTIC OIL WORKS" in the background, that's the direction in which I first headed in the 1960s.

It was in the shadow of this edifice I saw my one and only Crosti 9F (although I was once told it should be 8F !!!) and in front of the Crosti was a "Noah's Ark" or to the peasants ... one of the BR(WR) built Pontnewynydd brake vans, and having been inside one I can say that Danny DeVito could have got a job as a guard at Branches Fork.

As for a WAG meeting, feel free, you know you're always welcome, an honorary Welshman.

Brian

Cracking shots, and really inspirational, useful material + info once again Brian!

Looking at those shots of Machen quarry has re-kindled some thoughts of mine....

...it's just crying out to be modelled

You've got me doodling again sir :rolleyes:

Marc

P.S. I'm sure you could scratchbuild one of those lovely little locos....

P.P.S. James, hope your "pet human" is litter-trained :lol:

Now it's time to return to the NCB Mountain Ash system during the mid-70s.

The primary source of traffic on this network was the Abercwmboi Phurnacite Plant, which in order to produce a smokeless fuel for the rest of Britain, polluted the local area for miles around.

Initially the plant was served by the NCB 'Aberamman railways' system, but when the NCB took over the former BR(WR) vale of Neath line north of Mountain Ash, 'Mount' became the operating base and in theory the system became known as 'Mountain Ash Railways'.

The NCB tried out diesel shunters from several makers during the early 60s and around 1964 the took delivery of a small fleet of Andrew Barclay 0-6-0DH locos, which were all prefixed "NCB No.4 Area" with some then identified as "Aberamman No.X" and others as "Mountain Ash No.Y".

Two Bagnall locos were also obtained around the same time (I believe they had been demonstrators), namely WB 3161/61 and WB 3191/61.

WB 3161 was identifiable as it had apparently come off second in an arguement with a crane, and needed a rebuilt cab front, which was fitted with two circular 'portholes'.

On to the pictures ....

No.1 - WB 3161/61 seen enjoying the 'day of rest' outside the Mountain Ash diesel shed during the mid-70s, sandwiched between two of the AB 0-6-0DH locos. Note that the left hand loco has lost both its' makers plate and BT registration plate (which showed it was allowed to operate over certain - named - BR lines).

No.2 - "NCB No.4 Area - Aberamman No.6" parked next to the Bagnall.

No.3 - The Mountain Ash diesel shed, on the same day. This is the site of the former Abergorki Colliery. The "main line" can be seen running through the centre of the complex, in this case we are looking south toward (i) the Landsale Yard (ii) Pontcynon stacking/blending site and (iii) Penrikyber Colliery loading point at Penrhiwceiber (the different spelling is correct). The large building in the background is the NCB Mountain Ash Central Workshop and a public footpath crossed from left to right here. Another AB 0-6-0DH is standing 'on blocks' whilst its engine and transmission were under repair. In order to get your bearings the steam shed is over the photographers right shoulder. The kick-back siding crossed the Afon Cynon to the west bank of that river and gave access to the wagon repair shop and exchange siding with BR at the former TVR Mountain Ash station (renamed Mountain Ash, Oxford St. by the GWR - Mountain Ash, Cardiff Road was on the opposite bank on the former Vale of Neath line) The main line continues north alongside the steam shed, accesses the former BR(WR) VoN line and Deep Duffryn Colliery before heading out (briefly) into the countryside (!!) before reaching the Phurnacite Plant and its associated stocking and blending sites.

Brian R

post-1599-0-91491700-1297409485_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-05911000-1297409575_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-71390600-1297409605_thumb.jpg

Hope you find something soon :)

Good luck on the job front Pix

Thanks gents. B)

As for a WAG meeting, feel free, you know you're always welcome, an honorary Welshman.

I'll be there with bells on Brian.. get us a pint of dark in!

Pix

More cracking shots Brian,

as others have said "keep 'em coming"

The photos are very reminiscent of the superb

"industrial railways in colour: South Wales" books (vol 1 & 2)

- anyone interested should seek these out,

they really do capture the atmosphere of railways in the area delightfully!

I'm very inspired by the shot of "Big arch colliery" and some of the shots

at Mountain Ash etc etc

Let us know if you do get hold of the drawings for that loco -

I'm sure a man of your skills could build one - even using plasticard.....?

Cheers

Marc

The former G.K.I. & S. "New Dowlais" works in Cardiff were split on nationalisation, with the British Steel Corporation (BSC) taking on the steel production side, and calling its' works "East Moors".

The finishing side of the plant remained with what had become G.K.N. and was known as the 'Castle Works' and 'Tremorfa Works'

The subsequent building of the Tremorfa electric arc furnace, and later still Cardiff Rod Mill (built in part on the Castle Works site) came about when GKN & BSC joined forces to create Allied Steel & Wire in the declining markets of the late 1970s.

GKN orginally bought Hudswell Clarke diesels second hand from the Port of Bristol Authority (PBA), with a few other odd locos, including a few Sentinels thrown in.

However, the chance to standardise with well maintained, reasonably new, but reliable second hand locos proved too good to turn down, and they bought the following Yorkshire Engine Co. locos from the Port of London Authority.

The original ex PBA locos had come complete with names, derived from Arthurian legend, and this trend was continued with the PLA locos

378 Tintagel 0-6-0DM HC D754/52 ex PBA

379 Glastonbury 0-6-0DM HC D757/52 ex PBA

380 Camelot 0-6-0DM HC D755/52 ex PBA

381 Caerleon 0-6-0DM HC D756/52 ex PBA

390 4wDH S 10058/61

391 4wDH S 10037/60

392 4wDH S 10059/61

396 0-4-0DM HC D844/54

397 0-4-0DM HC D988/57

398 0-4-0DM HC D989/57

Generally, the Hudswell Clarke locos worked at the Tremorfa Works and

the Sentinels (390 -392) worked at the Castle Works.

The ex-PLA loco fleet was numbered and named as follows.

370 Carlisle YE 2755/59 ex PLA 230

371 Kin Kenadon YE 2763/59 ex PLA 238

372 Bamborough YE 2760/59 ex PLA 235

373 Llongporth YE 2762/59 ex PLA 237

378 Tintagel YE 2633/57 ex PLA 203

379 Caerleon YE 2620/56 ex PLA 201 'Janus'

380 Camelot YE 2640/57 ex PLA 'Janus'

381 Glastonbury YE 2758/59 ex PLA 233

390 Amesbury YE 2756/59 ex PLA 231

391 Astolat YE 2630/56 ex PLA 202 'Janus'

392 Sarum YE 2619/56 ex PLA 200 'Janus'

394 YE 2770/59 ex PLA 240

396 Lemanis YE 2761/59 ex PLA 236

397 Cunetio YE 2757/59 ex PLA 232

398 Calleva YE 2769/59 ex PLA 239

The attached slide was taken with my then Kodak Instamatic, about the time I did two weeks "work experience" at GKN, in this case 12th. April, 1973.

The loco, is No.371 'Kin Kenadon' shunting twin-bolsters of billets at the south end of the GKN Castle Works. The equipment in the background forms part of the BSC East Moors works ore handling plant. The loco is crossing Lewis Road, and I would be standing against what is now the fence of the EMR scrapyard, with the Roath Dock behind.

Brian

post-1599-0-65498200-1297852696_thumb.jpg

Thanks for a great thread. Did you ever get over to Taff Merthyr / Deep Nav on your travels. I believe in the 80's there was a shunter based at DN for a time.

Sorry Chris, I didn't have a passport in those days, and wasn't allowed north of Taffs Well !

Most of these shots were taken as I travelled undercover !

This is a real treasure trove Brian,

Why thank you, the cheque's in the post !

Brian R

The subsequent building of the Tremorfa electric arc furnace, and later still Cardiff Rod Mill (built in part on the Castle Works site) came about when GKN & BSC joined forces to create Allied Steel & Wire in the declining markets of the late 1970s.

Brian

Brian, Hope you don't mind if I make a correction to that. GKN, having retained the modern Castle works at nationalisation were offered East Moors back in 1974. However by then they had lost interest in being a heavy steelmaker and anyway, East Moors was a cramped and obsolete plant. Instead, in 1973, they had announced a plan to build an electric Furnace Plant at Tremorfa. The plant opened in 1976 and not only were the BSC not involved, they were a bit miffed. They had expected that Castle works would be a customer for their new Scunthorpe Rod Mill. GKN were more concerned with controlling and securing their own supplies.

For a number of reasons Tremorfa had a difficult start up and ran at a loss for the first five years. As you say Brain, due to generally difficult trading conditions, in 1981 GKN's South Wales steel interests merged with BSC's Scunthorpe Rod Mill, under joint ownership,to form Allied Steel & Wire. So Tremorfa pre-dated Allied by five years.

Incidentally, in the late 1970's, the conservative government, keen to offload the entire BSC, offered it to GKN who declined.

Arthur ..... not at all, from your posts here, and in other places, I readily accept that your knowledge of the steel industry far exceeds mine. (Albeit, if I'd been bothered to reach up and get "From Dowlais to Tremorfa" off the shelf, my post may have been more accurate !).

Luckily, I didn't take up employment at GKN, which could have meant a move to ASW, as no one would have foreseen the events of nearly 30yrs later, when, like other ASW staff I would have had an eye on my retirement and pension !

Brian R

Archived