Caledonian Area Group...

Bob Reid

And don't forget to pronounce that Coo-ter - But then again you'll know that Stuart :) Thank goodness there was no station at Fing-in ;)

If it's picturesque stations your interested in, it might be worth giving Banchory a second look - at least you could recreate something the Deeside Railway unfortunately won't be able to do in 12" to the foot...

Bob

Glad I knew the pronuciation before I went over the Lecht...

• RMweb Premium

I'm in B)

Modelling the up to date Scottish scene as well as a fondness for harking back to the early 60's

Some of my recent projects have included,

post-291-12574167330614_thumb.jpg

post-291-12574167997383_thumb.jpg

post-291-12574168951936_thumb.jpg

Some of my older stuff includes,

post-291-12574169915663_thumb.jpg

post-291-12574170124927_thumb.jpg

post-291-12574171159055_thumb.jpg

And this,

post-291-12574170627247_thumb.jpg

Which finished off this,

post-291-12574170273922_thumb.jpg

I'm still getting to grips with the site as I haven't had much time to sit down and have a good look as all my spare time at the moment is spent working on the showguides for both Falkirk and Glasgow exhibitions!

Cheers

Craig

... Regularly not modelling the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway in OO...

I like that, it appeals to my sense of good intentions :lol:

I'm in (belatedly), if you'll have me on the basis of an interest group rather than residence, though I did spend two nights in South Queensferry last month :)

I like that, it appeals to my sense of good intentions :lol:

I'm in (belatedly), if you'll have me on the basis of an interest group rather than residence, though I did spend two nights in South Queensferry last month :)

we're nae prejudiced, this has always been an interest group rather than a strictly residence based social one, (a) because a lot of us live furth of Scotland and even if we did still live at home Scotland's a pretty big place so the "social" opportunities aren't too great. B)

Scotland is far flung and multicultural!

So, can anyone tell me which GWR pannier tanks worked in Scotland in BR times? Where and when?

I believe they were 1600 XX but I cannot Google any decent info. I hope they weren't 'cos I have an old Triang pannier body, otherwise useless, which I might modify, but I don't think so really.

I don't want to have them, but if needs must.

Stockie.

Scotland is far flung and multicultural!

So, can anyone tell me which GWR pannier tanks worked in Scotland in BR times? Where and when?

I believe they were 1600 XX but I cannot Google any decent info. I hope they weren't 'cos I have an old Triang pannier body, otherwise useless, which I might modify, but I don't think so really.

I don't want to have them, but if needs must.

Stockie.

Your bang on, 2 16xx series PTs were transferred to Helmsdale to replace the HR tanks which were life expired (and withdrawn at the time). I believe they were chosen because of their lower axle load required for the Dornoch branch. Whilst one worked the branch, the other was pilot at helmsdale though there is a pic which shows one as station pilot at Inverness.

For what its worth, I have modelled The Mound and used a Bachmann pannier as a lookalike for the 16XX, which was noticeablly less all round when viewed side by side, but in isolation passes muster when examined by ScR modellers with zilch knowledge of things GW. You mightn't get away with this in the WAG though :icon_wink:

Richard

For what its worth, I have modelled The Mound and used a Bachmann pannier as a lookalike for the 16XX, which was noticeablly less all round when viewed side by side, but in isolation passes muster when examined by ScR modellers with zilch knowledge of things GW. You mightn't get away with this in the WAG though :icon_wink:

Richard

Well there's two ways of looking at this, you can either try to rely on ignorance, which works fine until somebody comes along who claims to know more than you do about GWR locomotives, or else you just wing it; there isn't an RTR model 16XX so the only option is to use this one to represent it on account of it being better than nothing especially since none of the RTR manufacturers have the common decency to produce an actual Scottish locomotive suitable for those duties. B)

Well there's two ways of looking at this, you can either try to rely on ignorance, which works fine until somebody comes along who claims to know more than you do about GWR locomotives, or else you just wing it; there isn't an RTR model 16XX so the only option is to use this one to represent it on account of it being better than nothing especially since none of the RTR manufacturers have the common decency to produce an actual Scottish locomotive suitable for those duties. B)

Exactly my approach- I gave up waiting for something more accurate to appear- so at least I can pretend that it is appropriate for the scene; I'm not losing sleep over it; its my relaxing hobby, not an historical diorama. I also have a Jidenco Drummond tank kit tucked away, but in all honesty I don't envisage this ever being built.

Richard

Got the Bachmann quarterly today- very interesting, with the ongoing build of Kirriemuir- do you think this might be a warming -up exercise for a J3x release sometime soon? Anyway, I digress;it also mentioned the forthcoming release of the O4, and gave the more than interesting snippet that 6291(LNER) was based at Ferryhill until 1943- ? with my scant knowledge of pre-war LNER, I hadn't realised that these engines could be relevant to someone with an elastic interpretation of allocations and timescales. Were they common in Scotland then?

Richard

• RMweb Gold

The 'proper answer' is of course the same, we just used whatever they sent us (think same applies to some of the ex LMR class 27 diesels!!) Got a bacchy pannier was just awaiting finding pics, I see they painted out the coppery bits!

Fingers crossed - you might have us as 'residential' members soon! :P

• RMweb Gold

You crossing the border Russ? :)

Dave.

[churchill voice] Oh Yes! [/churchill voice]

- how soon and how far is all in the lap of the gods, we will get a possibly life changing result on Fri (the 13th) - wish us luck!

- But we have other fish in the fire and irons to fry or something like that! ;)

[churchill voice] Oh Yes! [/churchill voice]

- how soon and how far is all in the lap of the gods, we will get a possibly life changing result on Fri (the 13th) - wish us luck!

- But we have other fish in the fire and irons to fry or something like that! ;)

Yeah, put a ticket on for Saturday's draw as well as the EuroMillions, Russ! ;)

Guest Max Stafford

Nah, it's my turn next week! ;) When I retire, I will probably cross the border again too. Not far over though as I'm only a few miles from the borders area I'd want to live in anyway!

Anywhere with a proper fireplace and a woodburner will do - energy security and all that! :D

Good luck with your 'Plan A', Russ, make yourself known in these parts if it all goes to plan!

:icon_thumbsup2:

Dave.

Archived