coarse scale 0 gauge

Frank64

Hi guys, and girls.

Does anybody know where I can obtain

1) some cast iron coarse scale 0 gauge driving wheels about 1 5/16ths of an inch (30 - 35mm) maximum diameter. I need about a dozen but not more than twenty. I am modifying my Hornby clockwork motors and would like to replace some of the old alloy originals with slightly smaller (and tighter fitting) wheels. I have a model engineers lathe so can tidy up the castings to finished size myself.

2) Also, an 0 gauge model of a little girl on a pony (not a seaside one of a little girl on a donkey ride, thank you). I have an ungated level crossing in the middle of the countryside that needs a little something to complete...

Can anybody help me, please.

Many thanks

Frank64

Just a thought on the driving wheels. Many years ago when I was at school our 0 level metalwork class started to build a live steam loco. ISTR it was 3" gauge and to a design by "LBSC". Anyway, we got the bare castings from a firm called Kennion Brothers in Hertford.

They are gone now, but what I am suggesting is you look in model engineering magazines. Good luck

Ed

Thank you very much Mike g.

You are absolutely right. They supply exactly what I want.

I wish I had heard about this site before!

I've been looking for nearly two years now!

Quite without success;- model engineering suppliers, a lot of whom used to do 0 gauge, and all I have found is the finescale suppliers.

Really delighted, speechless in fact!

Thanks mate,

Frank.

Now all I need is the little girl on a pony...

thank you.

You can get castings the size you want from http://www.walsallmo...?p=4&pno=0,they are very good quality cast iron.

regards

mike g

Thanks edcayton,

I've been looking there, and on the web, and even the Gauge 0 Guild, but the only suppliers I have found are either large industrial scale production or finescale 0 gauge. Finescale is exactly 7mm to the foot, not the approximately1/4" to the foot of my old toy railway.

I do appreciate your helpful advice though,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, and so very promptly too.Thanks mate.

See other posting and my reply below.

Thanks once again

Frank

Just a thought on the driving wheels. Many years ago when I was at school our 0 level metalwork class started to build a live steam loco. ISTR it was 3" gauge and to a design by "LBSC". Anyway, we got the bare castings from a firm called Kennion Brothers in Hertford.

They are gone now, but what I am suggesting is you look in model engineering magazines. Good luck

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question - if you buy from Walsall - do you just get the casting or do they come turned and finnished ready to fit (in finescale 0)?

Sorry for not coming back earlier.

Either or! they can even turn them for coarse scale if you want. visit their website full details available there.

Impressed with their service too. I ordered over the 'phone with a credit card and the castings arrived the following morning!

Hope this helps

Frank

PS Ask them why they don't advertise in G0G gazette, I did.

• 7 months later...

Update 17th October

I finally found an 0 gauge girl on a horse (an old Britains models)while on holiday, and also a white metal girl leading a horse at Telford (and have actually managed to paint it too!) So my ungated level crossing now really looks the part. My Hornby clockwork layout is progressing. It is up in my attic (12' x 8'6") and has an end to end run of about 30'. Further details available on request.

Frank64.

• 1 month later...

Here with a photo of the girl on her horse waiting at the ungated level crossing on the branch line from Farmer's Arms Junction to New Harbour. The Boat train has just passed and obeyed the whistle sign and slowed for the fixed distant protecting the crossing.

More pics possible if my skills with the camera improve!

Enjoy!

Frank64

post-11163-0-33731900-1322607334_thumb.jpg

Archived