The Goldshire and Westfall Railway

cromptonnut

I played a Dwarf Paladin for a few years on Emerald Dream server. Then morphed into a Draenei Paladin and moved server. Got sick when I got to cap was looking cool with all my purple gear and they raised the cap so in a few levels I was all green.... Played a few others since, warhammer, Guildwars 2.. But crap Internet speed means my pc is now just a browsing terminal.

I am however into Neverwinter on Xbox1 playing a lone Wolf type hunter. Nice pick up kill a few baddies kinda game.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much to report as such in the way of "progress" but I have ordered some of Tim Horn's boards which are his pack of three boards plus two curves.  I think I will have them in a straight - curve - straight - curve - straight configuration making a sort of 90 degree corner which works well for me in the space available at home although I accept it may cause issues at an exhibition configuration - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

A small development is a purchase of some of the Busch "Feldbahn" stuff will now form a separate mine railway, with some sort of transfer arrangement (I haven't yet worked out how to do that) to transfer the ore from the Feldbahn wagons to the OO-9 wagons - but that may well be "out of sight" inside a building. 

Watch this space but don't hold your breath :)  The boards should be here in a couple of weeks and then once they've been started I can begin work on the track laying.

• 2 weeks later...

Boards should be with me next week.  I've been experimenting with some 6mm square balsa which makes some very nice pit props, two sections 1.5" for upright and a 2" for across the top seems to fit very well for the Feldbahn in its underground portion.  I have a basic track plan in mind, with a reverse loop of some kind on the lower level so the train can be turned and of course has two routes underground to go anyway. 

I am planning on having the loop itself isolated then use a switch to apply power - in that way I can set the train off at the top, let it run down to the bottom where it will automatically stop so I don't need to actually do anything whilst it's running down, and simply concentrate on operating the upper level OO-9 as required.

Marginally tempted to think about some 'mini pyrotechnics' using a smoke generator and some bright LED's on a very fast flash in one of the tunnels to simulate some blasting ... but not sure how that might work yet.  I was planning on using my usual expanded polystyrene sheets to build up the levels, and don't know the effect of smoke oil on that long-term (I do know the affects of heat though!)

I have been playing around with mixed gauge track in my 3D printed system, including diamond crossings. I don't think I have one for 6.6mm and 9mm gauge , yet(!!!). In fact I have not done any mixed gauge for the 6.5mm gauge yet, as there is not enough room to fit third rail to make mixed gauge with 9mm. A crossing should be possible, left and right hand.

One thing to remember with mixed gauge is deciding what rail size to use. I have standardised on code 100 rail, which is obviously slightly higher than OO9 rail(code 80?) and Z gauge rail(code 60). My system is for dockyard/tramway track so the difference in rail height is not so obvious, and rail can always be filed down(underneath) so it matches up to thinner rail.

Another issue with HOf, is the dependence on a steel strip between the rails and magnet on locos. It might be OK for the short distance of a crossing, but not sure.

I have got around the issue of the metal strip on the Busch Feldbahn when using normal Z gauge track by a 99p steel ruler bought from Ebay underneath - no doubt a small piece under one of these diamonds would work just as well - and be ignored by the OO-9.

Pleased to report the Tim Horn boards arrived safely today, I went for the three pack of lightweight boards plus two 45 degree curve sections.  I'm not entirely sure what configuration I want yet on the boards, and whether another board or two may be required, but hopefully I will finish assembling them tomorrow  and can then start working on the legs - I'm planning on using the same legs as I already have for the RMWeb modular boards as it's unlikely that both will ever be "up" at the same time due to lack of space at home.

• 2 months later...

A few months of little progress caused by a redundancy situation and starting a new job, but made a trip to ExpoNG today and came away with a few goodies which will hopefully spur me on and get going.

I've been stuck on the "mine" end for a while, needing to get on and build up the various levels of the mine on top of itself which will then set the level for the rest of the layout - sounds complicated I know but it makes sense to me :)

Life is starting to calm down as I settle into the new job, so hopefully that'll allow me some time to "get on with it" -  although I've started playing Elite: Dangerous which has become rather addictive.  I don't plan to move the layout into space though, and will definitely keep it squarely on Azeroth.

Archived