Quintland (4mm/OO)

Kenton

I hadn't been to the York site before, what an amazing new world of opportunities laser cutting gives us. I have no real idea of the cost involved though, the site says minimum orders of 35 GBP but doesn't give any further indication of costs. Do you happen to know?

Yes the prices of the stock items are very reasonable (510mm length of valance in 4mm - 5.50GBP). (I am not sure about the bespoke variety) I had the opportunity to feel the product the roof tiles and windows and an experimental wagon kit. I was very impressed.

The price list is available as pdf download but I agree the site is a bit of a mess and the photos rather poor, not showing the product to its best.

For both the GT etching and the York laser bespoke service I would require dimensions of the planks. Sadly I do not know them and would be entirely guessing. What do people think? The image posted is the best I have found and is a little early for period. Though I believe was still in place in early 60's.

It is the only photo I have found of support columns though there must have been brackets? The waiting rooms and offices (timber clad/paneled) provided most of the support by the 60's. But photographic evidence is almost non-existent. The same old problem with railway photographers using all their film on passing locos and not on the rest of the world around them ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Kenton,

only just found this thread (saw your comment about respacing the sleepers in another thread the other day, but couldn't find anything about your layout).

Urgent point - gauges/templates (tracksetta, or similar) are a very good idea (unless your jigs for sleeper spacing are a lot more accurate than mine) - once the sleepers are loose, they can easily go down at a slight angle and give you less than 16.5mm (although there is some amount of tolerance on RTR stock). Laying tight curves like this is "interesting", but a quick glance at your track plan suggests almost everything will be straight (but, I bet you still end up having to lay curves out of some of the points!).

I like your choice of sleeper spacing, well within the range that looks plausible.

??en [ or 'ken' if this version of php doesn't like me ]

• RMweb Premium

Kenton,

For what it's worth, I got York to do some bespoke stuff for Meakin Bros. The service was good, the prices a little high but not unreasonable considering the time it takes them, and the product was of excellent quality.

You can save yourself quite a bit by sending them a Corel or similar CAD drawing; if you don't have access to a commercial CAD package then you can download CorelDraw for a free trial (one month, I think) and get the sketches done like that.

Like the idea of the layout, and looking forward to it all taking shape.

George

Urgent point - gauges/templates (tracksetta, or similar) are a very good idea (unless your jigs for sleeper spacing are a lot more accurate than mine) - once the sleepers are loose, they can easily go down at a slight angle and give you less than 16.5mm (although there is some amount of tolerance on RTR stock). Laying tight curves like this is "interesting", but a quick glance at your track plan suggests almost everything will be straight (but, I bet you still end up having to lay curves out of some of the points!).

No tracksettas, gauges or templates just a simple pile of pcb "sleepers" spacers and an over-worked set of calipers.

No real problems with the gauge Peco OO isn't exactly "FS" even though it prints THAT word on the sleepers. Even when butchering the points the "out of gauge" is <0.5mm and doesn't seem to affect running.

I stick the sleepers in place lightly with a dab of dilute PVA at the side of the rail - it makes them rigid enough so that they don't go sliding all over the place until they are stuck down - but nt so solid that they cannot be re-adjusted on-site.

But you are right about the problem with the curves. Luckily on this layout there really are very few curves (just before the exits to the FYs) and they are also only slight.

You can save yourself quite a bit by sending them a Corel or similar CAD drawing; if you don't have access to a commercial CAD package then you can download CorelDraw for a free trial (one month, I think) and get the sketches done like that.

CAD is something I need to master - but no time to devote to the learning process.

I am sending them the above photo to see what they make of it.

They may have something that approximates to this that would be a cheap solution.

I still have no idea of the dimensions of the valance in the photo.

also I may just plough ahead anyway (leaving it to a future "upgrade") after all it is no good having one super detailed valance and a poorly crafted station building/layout. :D

• 6 years later...

Hi Kenton

I have just found a post on a different topic that you made regarding improving a Peco point and that possibly you have used a Tortoise motor with them. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8812-peco-streamline-joining-track-and-modifying-turnouts/?p=76930

I am building an 8x4 for my family (2 boys) have managed damage on of my Setrack points, brand new too!  I am using Seep motors for all the points, but as the damage include ripping of the plate that holds the tiny tie-bar spring in place.  I now have point that does not work very well.  A long time ago I bought a Tortoise as a trial, but never used it.  So I was thinking as I have lost the over center working of the tie-bar, now might be a good time to try out the Tortoise instead

So I have a question, which I have posted on my layout thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-track-laying-wiring-commenced/?p=2210666, if you are able to answer that would be great.

Also, do you have any detail photos of your improved points?  Not sure but non of the photos on this topic appear to be viable?

Also, do you have any detail photos of your improved points?  Not sure but non of the photos on this topic appear to be viable?

Wow! revival of a long lost topic - much water under the modelling bridge since I last worked on that one. It is currently under a pile of boxes (none of which are railway related) in the corner of the garage - think Starling and silence of the Lambs :)

Thanks for pointing out the missing photos - they are still there but I think this may be something to do with the recent problems with the site software.

I have a big issues with going back through all my 8000+ posts to edit them all just because of the fault in the software. I don't know how many other folk and posts are affected but photos posted of point alteration must be quite numerous.

I'll pop over to your topic to see the question. Meanwhile I'll let this sleeping layout go back to sleep.

Archived