Jack's in, or "Shortliners shortline"

shortliner

Thanks Andrew, I hope to get my upgraded main computer back tonight, and if I do I'll put some new photos on here tomorrow. Been lucky on Ebay and won some vehicles from USA - expecting the postman to call at least 3 times. I say lucky, as the winnings work out cheaper than buying in UK, even with postage. Can I also put in a recommendation for McLaren Models in Falkirk - nice guy and excellent service

The beast came home - so, as promised, some photos - I had decided to add a section of the Major Deegan Expressway if possible and have done so. Photos show some of the CMW trucks and Aerovan trailers which have started to populate the layout. You will notice that, once again, Eire RR have hired in a 44-tonner on a temporary basis. Justb noticed that I forgot to remove the uncoupling stick - ah well!

post-6688-127988944441.jpg

post-6688-127988945899.jpg

post-6688-127988947377.jpg

post-6688-127988949132.jpg

post-6688-127988950521.jpg

post-6688-127988952035.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. The guy who fixed my computer expressed an interest, and he and his lady came to have a look. Both were impressed, and neither are railway modellers, so it just may work at the Inverness show as a "work in progress".

Not sure about that, Warren - trying to operate a throttle with one hand, sound with the other and a video camera as well "sounds" a little difficult - may be possible to get somebody to video it at the exhibition though. Finished putting together the Kibri Gantry crane, and what a little pigs orphan bitch that was! Probably won't have time to add more than minimal paint to it. Some more trailers and one tractor cab arrived today from Ebay (one more small package to come) and I put together a couple of Athearn single rear-axle Whites - I didn't realise that Athearn had done two different versions, one with a single rear axle and another with twin rear axles. Somewhere along the line I seem to have picked up some of each! biggrin.gif

When do you think you will be showing it, and where?

I love getting packages in the mail, currently waiting on a package from Hattons, and Howes though Howes seems to be taking time on responding, not sure how good of a business they are.

Both Howes and Hattons have always been fast and reliable...however it seems that post has been very slow in getting here from the UK this past month...I don't know if thats due to Royal Mail or Canada Post....but I'm sure its not Hattons and I doubt the problem is Howes.

When do you think you will be showing it, and where?

I love getting packages in the mail, currently waiting on a package from Hattons, and Howes though Howes seems to be taking time on responding, not sure how good of a business they are.

Beautiful, Jack.

I've suddenly had to arrange a trip to London and Wales for tomorrow (got the last seat on the flight down the back next to the bog for $2K!!!!! - how times change...). Not a good trip; my brother's close to death with Colon Cancer. Guys of a certain age you know what you have to do...

Best, Pete.

Just had a visit from the postman - my last USA ebay package has arrived. A very nice, 1948 Peterbilt REA tractor and trailer from Ertl in HO scale - this trailer on this one is a 40' one rather than a 32 footer like my others

EDIT - had a sudden rush of blood to the head, and realised how to make a pair of folding supports - from 2 old Bond knitting Machine tables - They are assembled, and the layout is sitting on them, but the legs need extending - so I'm waiting for B&Q to get me in some Steel tube - they only had two lengths of the right diameter, and I need four.

Its a long story, and there is no truth in the rumour that I've been kntting tartan kilts from the Haggis Hair after shearing. By the way Harris Tweed is a corruption of Haggis Tweed, and a kilt made from it is one of the reasons that the Highlanders were called a hardy race, and appear immune tho the bite of the dreaded midgie - they are used to the itching! They all - the knitting machine tables, that is - ( I actually have 3) turned up at a local "thrift" (read charity) shop over the past several years - usually with a warped bed - but since I only need the legs and the supports anyway they are fine. I doubt if they cost the equivalent of $10 in total. The leg extensions and adjustable feet add to that, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Its a long story, and there is no truth in the rumour that I've been kntting tartan kilts from the Haggis Hair after shearing. By the way Harris Tweed is a corruption of Haggis Tweed, and a kilt made from it is one of the reasons that the Highlanders were called a hardy race, and appear immune tho the bite of the dreaded midgie - they are used to the itching! They all - the knitting machine tables, that is - ( I actually have 3) turned up at a local "thrift" (read charity) shop over the past several years - usually with a warped bed - but since I only need the legs and the supports anyway they are fine. I doubt if they cost the equivalent of $10 in total. The leg extensions and adjustable feet add to that, of course.

Oh, I thought you knitted coats for the Haggis for when they are grazing the north faces of mountains...cool.gif biggrin.gif ohmy.gif

Anyway back to Model Railways... really taking shape now.

Update 5 august 2010 Dismantled the whole thing and ensured that it WILL fit in the Ka - It does! It is going to be a bit crowded in there, but it goes in! Put it all back together, and set it up = Please excuse the untidy background of the inside of the garage, but it is looking more or less as I "saw" it when I started.

post-6688-128102305182.jpg

post-6688-128102308096.jpg

post-6688-128102333912.jpg

post-6688-128102336597.jpg

post-6688-128102339336.jpg

post-6688-128102341368.jpg

post-6688-128102344101.jpg

post-6688-128102348413.jpg

Archived