Jack's in, or "Shortliners shortline"

shortliner

backscene looks great- super hazy summer day. It hides the angles in the board around the car float very well. I wonder whether it would be hidden even better (assuming it doesn't get in the way of 'carfloat' operation) if you put a blue sky 'roof' over the triangular section that sits forward from the rest of the backscene? Just an idea.

great to see this coming on.

Will

The nice gent from the £ shop had got the letters for me, so this afternoon the sign has been assembled, the letters stuck on and the whole thing sprayed black - it was goimg to be matt, but it turned out a strange semi-satin effect, so it has been redone in gloss - tomorrow it will have the letters painted in white

So I painted the letters, decided that it wasn't good enough, oversprayed the whole lot, and now need to start again. There must be an easy, neat way of just painting the top surface of the letters - I wonder about a small paint pad, or a small roller, a synthetic sponge? . Any thoughts or suggestions from readers would be welcomed

So I painted the letters, decided that it wasn't good enough, oversprayed the whole lot, and now need to start again. There must be an easy, neat way of just painting the top surface of the letters - I wonder about a small paint pad, or a small roller, a synthetic sponge? . Any thoughts or suggestions from readers would be welcomed

A brush?.....more seriously, the paint pad might be best, especially if it's to look like a cast iron sign, but for a wood sign it wood be neater finish.......laugh.gif

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

Put a thick layer of paint on a piece of flat wood then put the sign down onto it, make sure you lift it away vertical ie straight up.This should stop the paint running down the letters. Depending on the paint you might have to smooth the face of the letters as the paint dries.

Your suggestion is quite true, but how do I paint the sides of 3D- letters and the background of the board without painting over the tops of the letters? Can you seriously suggest how to mask the tops of the letters? Life is too short, I'm afraid - any person who has to do the job in real life will tell you that you do the job the other way around, painting the indented surface first and the tops of the raised items last!

Tomorrow I'm going to Inverness and get some different paint - I had another go today with a piece of sponge - it worked quite well as far as covering the letter tops was concerned, but it was too big and tended to bend down against the backing leaving splatters! I've made up a baby paintpad, just about the same size as the letters, and I'm going to have a go with that when I get the paint. Fingers crossed!

Glad you like it, Warren

• RMweb Gold

In our local alternative model supplies establishment (Poundland) I saw a pack of 36 face makeup sponges. These look to be of quite a firm constitution, so might be suitable for applications such as this.

I have painted my copied version of a layout sign ( for Wheal Tiny), but am not 100% happy with the results so far - I will purchase said sponges and report back.

Stu

Thanks for that, Stu! - here is the sign done with my homemade paint pad, cut from a kitchen sponge, and stuck to a bit of MDF with a small bit of wood stuck on the back to form a handle - Much happier with this try at painting it! I think this will do! BTW, the size is 31" x 8½"

post-6688-127169840413.jpg

Archived