Jack's in, or "Shortliners shortline"

shortliner

Jam - I quite agree, that it would work in conjunction with other view-blocker - regretably from my POV, the yard was wide open along that side, so it is a case of doing what I can - The main thing it does is remove the bright open "tunnel" effect with light glaring through the hole in the scenery, which will no longer distract the eye from the overall "picture" Granted that when the wagons are pulled through from behind the curtain the "fingers" come through but oddly they are less noticable than one might expect

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely. The eye is a wonderful thing for blocking out bits you don't really want to see - only the camera is harsh at really highlighting these exits and other flaws. It certainly does a good job of hiding the light out of a tunnel effect which is unfortunately very visible on some layouts. Of course, you may be lucky to have a prototype where the dust sheets are present on the real thing - I know there used to be one at Chatham.

Next job is to wire it, then to ballast the track - Colin Stewart very kindly gave me some ballast (wrong colour unfortunately). but I need to see if there is anyone at Perth in 3 weeks time, selling Woodland Scenics Brown ballast. Apart from that I need to build a freight house to fit into the curve at the narrow end, build the Gantry crane and fit the bumping stops to the sidings - after that we move into spending some money on some Sylvan Models wagons and cars ( Oh and fitting the UE chassis under the two standby boxcabs!) ....and somewhere along the line do something about organising some legs! It has been invited to the Inverness MRC Exhibition in September - under the proviso that it might very well still be a work in progress - hopefully further along than it is at the moment!

an excellent idea to hide the exit....

What about a couple of redundant smoke generators as an alternative?...A couple of outlets near the exit hole, with a gentle wafting of foggy smoke [as found on New York rivers, especially come autumn time?]....loco hauling cars out of the mist? Maybe an endless tape of seagulls calling? The odd tugboat siren? Not taking me seriously I hope?

Thanks for the idea Mick B - 2 problems - #1 finding a photo, and #2 printing it on something springy enough to flex out of the way and return afterwards.

Alistair I have never been impressed with the output of smoke generators, and I suspect that neighbouring displays would get "Teed off" fairly rapidly laugh.gif A tank of dry ice might work, but wouldn't do a lot for the layouts carbon footprint in the ecologically sensitive times unsure.gif

Paul - thanks, it looks even better when the uprights are straight! OOOps! (Eventually they will be glued to the backscene - another job to be added to the list!smile.gif

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the idea Mick B - 2 problems - #1 finding a photo, and #2 printing it on something springy enough to flex out of the way and return afterwards.

Alistair I have never been impressed with the output of smoke generators, and I suspect that neighbouring displays would get "Teed off" fairly rapidly laugh.gif A tank of dry ice might work, but wouldn't do a lot for the layouts carbon footprint in the ecologically sensitive times unsure.gif

Paul - thanks, it looks even better when the uprights are straight! OOOps! (Eventually they will be glued to the backscene - another job to be added to the list!smile.gif

I was thinking more along the lines of glue black strips to back of photo then cut to match. Surely some american photographer has taken a shot using a lift as a frame for a picture of the city.

All I can find taken from that side of the river are B/W on the site above, and the modern Google streetview that iIused to paint my background. The biggest problem is that that area doesn't fit the traditional image of New York full of skyscrapers, and is relatively flat. Lots taken from up in the air but very little from ground level.

I've been working on the freight house to fit into the semi-circle at the opposite end of the layout to the floatbridge. Totally freelance, scratched from some old election placards, and bits of evergreen sheet, together with some Wills bits for the sky-lights. I need to get some bits for roof clutter. This is actually version 3 - the first two didn't allow enough clearance to let the cars go past! angry.gif These were taken with flash, so the colour is a bit off - it is painted in red oxide primer. Doors are numbered for individual spots. Doors 5, 6, and 7 are for vehicle access, not rail blink.gif

post-6688-127618295619.jpg

post-6688-127618297962.jpg

post-6688-12761830041.jpg

post-6688-127618303166.jpg

Hi Jack...having had a brief look at the various New York terminals...I note some have the 'warehouse'buildings on the inside of the curved tracks...was this to allow better, shorter bridging access to boxcar doors?{compared to the access needed for a bay on the outside of a curve?]...as well as allowing central road access?

Alastair - most of the Bronx area terminals were built (squeezed in may be a better description!)on tiny parcels of (mainly) reclaimed land beside the river, the Harlem Station yard probably the smallest of them. The Bronx Yard (as modelled by Tim Warris) was actually on the other side of 149th Street East from The Harlem Station Yard but such was the competition between companies that the two were never joined.A freight house was needed to protect perishable , or easily damaged goods, and the best way to have the smallest area for the freighthouse was to build it either circular or oval, with an opening in one side to allow lorries and horse wagons to collect from the interior, and the rail wagons to load/unload from the exterior on the tightest radius they coud accommodate.. This is the origin of the C-shaped freight houses - much of the traffic didn't need protecting from the elements, and was unloaded directly from rail to road on straight sidings with hardstanding alongside, known as teamtracks (from the teams of mules that pulled the wagons) which pulled up to the door of the wagon and were off-loaded directly

Thanks to Paul (Signalmaintainer) these three cars arrived on a way freight from the northwestern-USA, with loads destined for industries in the Bronx - they are seen here unloading at the freight house - the SP car which has barrels of lube oil for the Ford distributor is currently off-spot awaiting delivery to spot 4, as soon as the car occupying spot 3 is empty

post-6688-127626125846.jpg

post-6688-127626127531.jpg

post-6688-127626129124.jpg

Cheers Warren!

Jobs to do update - mainly to remind me!unsure.gif

Next job is to wire it,[iNITIAL TRACK CONNECTIONS DONE] then to ballast the track[TBD - FOLLOWED BY FITTING HARD-STANDING AREAS]] Apart from that I need to build a freight house [DONE]to fit into the curve at the narrow end, build the Gantry crane [AWAITING ASSEMBLY]and fit the bumping stops[ OBTAINED & AWAITING FITTING] to the sidings - after that we move into spending some money on some Sylvan Models wagons and cars[TBD- PROBABLY LAST JOB] ( Oh and fitting the UE chassis under the two standby boxcabs! [ CHASSIS OBTAINED - NEED TO GO THROUGH THE WORKSHOP]) ....and somewhere along the line do something about organising some legs [ERR - YES]! ALSO TBD DECAL BOXCABS

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update, as you may know the main computer is in being looked at, and I'm using my little ancient clockwork laptop, which doesn't have facilities for scanning, connecting cameras, or reducing pics to a size suitable for posting. Thanks to Gene in Montreal, I have some more cars that he has most kindly donated, and to DaveB who got me another couple of the shorty orecars and donated the bodies of some more. At the Perth Show, I found a CWM truck and Aerovan trailer, lettered for Eastern Motor Express, together with another similar trailer in a second hand box lettered for Campari, and made by Rivarossi. The spare trailer has been repainted into a fictional livery and now sports Erie Diamonds on the sides. I have ordered some more vehicles via the very nice gent at McLaren Models in Falkirk, to whom nothing in the way of my silly phone questions about what was available was too much trouble. He is VERY likely to get further business from me. Managed to find a couple more items on ebay which are crossing the Atlantic as I type. Got some ballast, but haven't yet started laying it, wired up a small box to fix to the underside of the layout, and attach the plugs and wiring for the controller and MRC soundbox to.

That is about it newswise for the moment, when the computer comes home, I'll try and attach some more pictures.

PS Thanks to Gene, I also have the 28th Street article in RMC, and very interesting it is too - Oh for more room!

• 2 weeks later...

17th of July update - connected the track wiring to the "plug-in" box this afternoon - applied controller and power - "wheehee" - NOTHING! sad.gif No power, no lights on the controller. Tried a replacement power supply - no change! Checked power supplies - lots of voltie-thingies and wiggly amps in both. angry.gif Hmmmmm! Removed "plug-in box", went indoors, and made cup of tea! Long story short, after about an hour, much blue air and poking about with a mini-meter (later found to be defective - fortunately I have another!) I discovered that there is a difference between the OBVIOUS connections on "centre pin and outside" power sockets, and CORRECT ones!blink.gif . Rude words were said once more and a re-solder job was done. Took it back to the layout in the garage, connected everything back up, placed a 44 tonner on the track, plugged in the controller - BINGO - lights and action! Yaaaay! smile.gif Apart from the track being in URGENT need of a clean, and the fact that all the carefully placed, cut and stuck roadways fell off while the layout was up-ended ohmy.gif everything is fine! I shall get a can of thixofix or similar next week, and stick them down properly - the adhesive on the back is obviously not to be trusted!

Next is to confirm that the soundbox works with the system (fingers firmly crossed), clean the tracks, and think about the ballasting! And for AlastairQ, the wagon has been through the shop, has Kadees, a replacement brake-wheel, and a load and works fine - thanks very much!

Archived