Flixborough exchange sidings - WITHDRAWN!

Allegheny1600

Thanks for the interest Scottish Modeller and Leon!

I do appreciate people dropping by and saying hello, as it were. A visit along the lines of the Appleby Frodingham railway would be quite appropriate! The BYAs have arrived and boy! Do they look good, can't wait to start on them!

Must try and get more done on the layout tonight, been busy with other projects lately!

All cork is securely in place and after some working out, positions for under track kadee magnets decided and fitted.

On test, they seem to work quite well.

TTFN,

John E.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to show that i've not been entirely idle(!) over this past two weeks, despite recently suffering blocked ears and consequent vertigo (most unpleasant!) - heres a glimpse of recent progress!

post-6892-12723136569_thumb.jpg

This is the single slip ready to go in (permanently!). I'm not well up on the wiring for slips but following the instructions, it looks like four wires is okay!

You can also see the large square "holes" in the underlay for the kadee undertrack magnets as well as (just) the holes to drive the tiebars.

post-6892-127231505885_thumb.jpg

A view of the inner board joint now that the C&L connectors are in place. I made a mistake here and built them the opposite way round, never mind! I chose these as i think they should give the most robust ends to the track and as you can see, they provide a convienient way of getting power to these sections of rail.

post-6892-127231529929_thumb.jpg

Just an overview of the arrival loop and exchange sidings now that they are almost ready for tracklaying to start!

See you next time,

TTFN,

John E.

I think this should be a very interesting project when its finished - I find the railways around Scunthorpe, especially those which supported the steel industry, fascinating! There was so much variety is such a small area.

post-6892-12615349283031_thumb.jpg

I like that one :)

post-6892-12615347974438_thumb.jpg

This is the lovely little Yorkshire engine company "Janus" which i believe originated from nearby Scunthorpe steelworks - something else to be (eventually) incorporated into FES!

You know, I'm sure, that Judith Edge make a kit of this - however, unlike a couple of other kits, they don't yet do an HO version of this one. You could always ask nicely, on the basis that someone else, somewhere, might want another... !

I can only congratulate you on taking the plunge into creating your layout in such an... esoteric gauge. I really must make a similar effort myself one day, lest all my British HO stuff (and I've still got plenty of stock - more than enough, you might argue - despite the recent clear-out) remain forever hidden in a variety of storage boxes.

I have to say, too, that both the Mehano 66 and the Tillig track look absolutely first class. The end-on shot of the 66 shows just how well the combination of these two elements sits together.

On the passenger service front would a 142 fit in the platform? http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/WW/Multiple_Unit_Index.htm seem keen to offer thier kits in any scale.

If you could get the etches done but are determined for a 153, then it might be worth checking how close a match the bodysides are for a cut and shut as they are both Leyland National based.

Best of luck, this looks to be a really interesting project

Thanks Steve!

The other weekend i went to Scalefour North (lovely show!) and got chatting to Mike Edge (no relation!), i must have spoken nicely as he is willing to shrink the etches down to H0 scale on the Janus for a fee, of course! I'm sure it'll be well worth it as that will REALLY set the scene!

It was not the easiest of decisions to make, going H0 with this layout as it has ruled out my using the rather fetching Hornby class 153 to serve my little platform, never mind!

I had to decide whether to stick with 4mm and accept 4'1 1/2" track, go EM or P4, then be unable to use my US or Euro stuff on here if the mood takes me so in the end, H0 seems quite logical - for me!!!!!!

I doupt we will see your lovely Warship on here but......................I am in the process of Anglicising a Proto 2000 Alco (courtesy of a fellow Brit. H0 soc. member!) as ex S. Wales steelworks! Presumably transfered over to work at nearby Scunthorpe! So why not a hydraulic special!?!

Cheers,

John E.

On the passenger service front would a 142 fit in the platform? http://www.worsleywo..._Unit_Index.htm seem keen to offer thier kits in any scale.

If you could get the etches done but are determined for a 153, then it might be worth checking how close a match the bodysides are for a cut and shut as they are both Leyland National based.

Best of luck, this looks to be a really interesting project

Hmmm, very interesting thought, thank you.

Will consider that MOST carefully!

Cheers,

John E.

The other weekend i went to Scalefour North (lovely show!) and got chatting to Mike Edge (no relation!), i must have spoken nicely as he is willing to shrink the etches down to H0 scale on the Janus for a fee, of course! I'm sure it'll be well worth it as that will REALLY set the scene!

I'm sure you did speak nicely, but I'd be most surprised if most things weren't possible, for a fee...

You probably already know this, having spoke to the other Mr Edge, but he has already produced two kits that I'm aware of in HO - the 165DS which appears on the website, and a small sentinel shunter which, AFAIK, does not yet.

As I said, I do like the look of your Mehano 66. Is the other in the same livery? And what have you done with your Roco shunter, livery-wise? I know they came in a variety of Danish and Dutch colours off the shelf - I suppose the latter could be justified quite readily on a layout such as yours. On the other hand, I've see on the British HO Soc website various convincing repaints into BR colours, and even locos with modified shells to look more like "true" 08s (rather than 11s!).

If you're looking for more modern stock to leave lying around your sidings, have you seen Electrotren's car carriers? These look identical to the sort of things that lurk in their dozens in the sidings next to the M6 in Birmingham.

I'm sure you did speak nicely, but I'd be most surprised if most things weren't possible, for a fee...

You probably already know this, having spoke to the other Mr Edge, but he has already produced two kits that I'm aware of in HO - the 165DS which appears on the website, and a small sentinel shunter which, AFAIK, does not yet.

As I said, I do like the look of your Mehano 66. Is the other in the same livery? And what have you done with your Roco shunter, livery-wise? I know they came in a variety of Danish and Dutch colours off the shelf - I suppose the latter could be justified quite readily on a layout such as yours. On the other hand, I've see on the British HO Soc website various convincing repaints into BR colours, and even locos with modified shells to look more like "true" 08s (rather than 11s!).

If you're looking for more modern stock to leave lying around your sidings, have you seen Electrotren's car carriers? These look identical to the sort of things that lurk in their dozens in the sidings next to the M6 in Birmingham.

Hi Steve,

I have the 165DS in H0 (still in it's box!) and only became aware of the sentinel shunter at Wakefield! I believe Mike Edge has also done a H0 version of the Taurus for a customer in Spain but cannot remember if it is the full spanish version or a shrunk down British version!

Yes, i too really like the Mehano 66 (especially in R4C livery), my other one is in plain grey DLC livery so it is not too criminal to repaint! My Roco shunter is currently a full NS "dutch" livery version with DCC but "one day" will get it fully Anglicised. I'd actually like another one so i can have one in highly suitable RMS locotec livery, the other in EWS DBS!

Unfortunately, over the years i've merely been collecting British H0 stock with a view to building a layout "one day" so i've got most items but have done little more than give them the occasional run out! I don't see my Eurostar ever getting to the wharf!

Thanks for the Electrotren link - they do some very nice stock, at a price!

Cheers,

John E.

...Thanks for the Electrotren link - they do some very nice stock, at a price!

Cheers,

John E.

However, beware the versions with cars included. They cost more, the cars are poorly painted Siku diecasts and thus not as good as Herpa or Wiking, and most importantly, they are VERY firmly glued in, so can't be easily swapped out for something more realistic without damaging the wagon. Ask me how I know...angry.gif

• RMweb Premium

We have the RH 165 0-4-0 and 4wh Sentinel in production in HO, the Taurus kit mentioned is for the Spanish version which has a different shape cab and wider platform than the original. We also have a couple of sets of etches for SR 11001 in this scale and three 3'6" gauge NZR diesels (Dsc, RH 165 0-6-0 and Hitachi 0-4-0) - the RH 165DE 0-6-0 is essentially the same as WR PWM650. All these have been produced in response to requests from various sources - the RH 0-4-0 was originally supplied to someone in South Australia, the Sentinels for Denmark. It is very easy to produce the etches to any scale, we charge for tooling costs (£52 for one 18"x12" sheet) + some for my time re-drawing and the etches themselves at our usual rates. This does not include any mouldings, pattern making is more expensive, although occasionally suitable patterns are already available from other kits. For example the fuel filler is already done for Taurus and is the same as fitted to Janus locos. HO etches are normally produced in .012" brass, the original 4mm ones are .015".

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your comprehensive listing of all the H0 scale locos you have produced / are producing - very useful information to me as my memory is quite useless i'm afraid!

Most interesting how far and wide your kits / prototypes have gone from these shores. I'm sure that British H0 has plenty of potential - in the worldwide market!

I will in due course be sending you an email regarding the "Janus" as i do want to go ahead with that - soon!

Cheers,

John E.

• 3 weeks later...

HI

Just been looking at your layout,what i would like to know are the C&L connectors easy to fit,as i am looking at buying some for my layout.

Keep up the good work .

All the best

Darren

• 1 month later...

Hi Darren,

I'm so sorry that it's taken me a month to reply to your query - that just shows what the state of play on the layout has been like recently!

The C&L connectors are quite easy to fit even though i did make a mistake with mine!

Firstly, make sure you have a decent set of woodworking tools - in this instance a 15mm flat wood bit, a (very) sharp set of wood chisels and a 2/3mm drill bit. Oh! A decent electric drill, preferably with slow speed control. Also, pliers, soldering iron, flux etc.

Next, sufficient packs of connectors as it's one pack per baseboard/track crossing!

Assembly

Fold up the connectors as per instructions, with the "C&L" markings remaining visible (to the outside!). I had to use some brute force and ignorance to obtain a clean 90 degree fold but it is possible without too much work! Dab of flux onto the folds and solder rigid! Clean off flux!

Marking up

Across the width of the baseboard, select the two outermost rails of all the tracks crossing the baseboard (assuming these tracks are on the same level!) and use these to gauge where the connectors should go, butting the top surface of the connector to just underneath the bottom of the rails.

The centreline of the connector should be vertically below the centre of each individual rail (plumb!).

Once you have marked up the two outermost connector posititions, you should be able to draw a line between them, then all you have to do is plumb up all the other rails.

This is where i made my mistake - i plumbed up all the connectors from their own individual rails, then when i had fitted them, the top edges all needed a fair bit of heavy duty filing to get them all in the same plane! I won't be doing that again!

Use a fine, sharp metal marker like a scribe to mark the centre point of each connector through the hole helpfully provided and either the same or a pen/pencil to mark around the connector.

Fitting

Once all connector locations are established, it's time to get out the 15mm flat wood bit, preferably with some black or red electrical tape wrapped around at about the 2mm mark as you don't need to go any deeper than that! Nice and slowly, drill each connectors round section out, keeping drill as true as possible! Tip: To help this, observe how much material the flat bit is removing and from where - easy to correct if you're going a bit lobsided!

After that, simply use a good sharp hand (wood) chisel to clean out the vertical sections of the connector - straight up to the track! Evidently, if track is in situ, take care here to avoid damage to track and the chisel!

All i then did was fit the connectors in place, secure with about three Hornby track pins in each and thats it!

Extras

Do a quick check across all the connector tops to ensure levelness, if not level, hopefully a touch with a file will suffice!

Locate all tracks across board and solder in place.

I then drilled a 2mm hole through the centre of each connector and all way through the baseboard end frame, track feeds can then be brought through these and soldered to the connectors - virtually invisible track feeds!

Assumptions

1. That timber/ply/(MDF?!?) baseboards/ends are being used.

2. Said ends etc are at least primed if not painted!

I think thats it!

I hope thats useful to you (if you haven't already done it). I hope it doesn't sound too complicated - it really is much easier to do it, than to write how to do it!

Cheers,

John E.

P.S. PM sent!

• 3 months later...

Great progress! I intend to model something inspired by Flixborough too, exept i want to model the wharf area. If you didn't know already, RMS employ 2 HNRC shunters. I know one of them is an 08, but i dont know the name of the other. Search Flixborough wharf in Fotopic.net if you haven't already by the way. Theres some good pictures! Also, where is the location of the exchange sidings? I dont remember seeing them on google maps.

Also, where is the location of the exchange sidings? I dont remember seeing them on google maps.

Hello Jack and thanks for kind comments!

Flixborough exchange sidings exists only in my mind!!!! The nearest thing in real life would be Normanby Park sidings nearby although completely different to my model! I did originally want to model the wharf itself but simply did not have the room to do it justice, along with having to comply with the space rules for the 2010 challenge!

Must get on with this asap as time is running out quickly!

Cheers,

John E.

Great progress! I intend to model something inspired by Flixborough too, exept i want to model the wharf area. If you didn't know already, RMS employ 2 HNRC shunters. I know one of them is an 08, but i dont know the name of the other. Search Flixborough wharf in Fotopic.net if you haven't already by the way. Theres some good pictures! Also, where is the location of the exchange sidings? I dont remember seeing them on google maps.

Wasn't there a Class 20 employed there for a while?.

According to my copy of 'Quail', the exchange sidings (Dragonby Sidings)are about two miles from the junction with the main line at Scunthorpe, more-or-less on the site of the old Normanby Park steelworks.

The sidings can be seen quite clearly on Google:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Flixborough+Wharf+Ltd,+Scunthorpe&sll=53.624718,-0.684373&sspn=0.085315,0.219383&gl=uk&g=Flixborough,+Scunthorpe&ie=UTF8&hq=Flixborough+Wharf+Ltd,&hnear=Scunthorpe,+North+Lincolnshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.617447,-0.639246&spn=0.001333,0.003428&t=h&z=18

Wasn't there a Class 20 employed there for a while?.

According to my copy of 'Quail', the exchange sidings (Dragonby Sidings)are about two miles from the junction with the main line at Scunthorpe, more-or-less on the site of the old Normanby Park steelworks.

The sidings can be seen quite clearly on Google:-

http://maps.google.c...003428&t=h&z=18

Aaaah, you see, i did see this on google maps, but i assumed it had nothing to do with the flixborough branch.

Yes, there was a class 20, but as far as i know, it was owned by HNRC, and has been done up now. Heres a picture of it now.

http://tomcurtisrailgallery.fotopic.net/p58152577.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, today seems to be the day for withdrawing from the 2010 challenge so i'm hearby taking 'Flixborough' out of the running!

I haven't done anything on it for months now and have got too many other projects (some railway, some business!) on the go or on the horizon.

That said, i would still love to complete this layout although, as i alluded to in the begininning - it might well be as a small US layout!

Many thanks indeed to all who followed and made comments on here, very much appreciated thank you!

I may even have a go at 'Flixborough' in N gauge as then, a closer to full length train can be brought in to be broken up and the small sections then taken down to the docks.......one day, perhaps?

As Ian (Olddudders) said, i would be happy to progress this layout somewhere that allows for the development of the layouts that didn't make it but still adhere to the 2010 rules!!

Best of luck to the remaining entrants!

Cheers,

John E.

That's a shame - I was especially looking forward to your original idea in British HO. I've never seen a Mehano 66 or a Roco EE shunter used in anger on a layout. At this rate, I'll have to start something myself - horrifying thought!

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve,

All is not lost!

Although 'Flixborough' is withdrawn from the 2010 challenge (as I knew I would not get it to a good state in time!), the layout is still in existence but is currently stored in my attic! One day, I will get all fired up again (when, I don't know!).

However, I have now got a new project on the go and in British H0 too!

Guess I better start something in "Layouts" soon, eh?

Cheers,

John E.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,
Well, after a bit of a break through the wonderful spring/summer we had, when I got plenty of gardening and outdoor constructions done (or, almost) plus many, many other jobs taken care of, my thoughts are turning back to model railways.
I've had quite a clear out of these, too!
All my various '00' interests have been disposed of along with my German 0 gauge and a heck of a lot of my US H0!
This has finally given me chance to focus my mind more and it is a blessed relief. My principal focus is now on German outline H0 and while I will be progressing my 'big' layout in the spare bedroom, lately thoughts have turned to resurrecting "Flixborough" once more but this time based in Germany.
The name has to change of course so from now on it will become "Flix-bezirk und hafen" which literally means "Flix district and harbour", not exact but "borough" translates to Stadtgemeinde - not very readable to English eyes! Also, I am ‘Berserk’ myself!
Rather than continuing to be inspired by British industrial railways, I am now inspired by German ones, namely the Osthannoversche Eisenbahnen AG (OHE for short). This is a railway in the north of Germany that mainly operates just to the south of Hamburg although like a lot of today’s private operators, also runs freight trains over the main DB network as well as on it’s own private lines.
The company was started in 1944 from a conglomeration of smaller lines, originally using secondhand steam locos purchased from the state railway and later, from DB.
This is how I came across the OHE as it is where one of my favourite classes of steam loco ended up in 1949, the former Prussian BR76 4-6-0T, I had wondered why I could only find DRG versions of this loco!
I think the 1960 (still with steam) version of this railway would be fascinating to model but until I can make or acquire OHE versions I will stick with a more or less bang up to date era VI version plus, I can go visit this version!
Some of the modern equipment is equally as fascinating as the former steam fleet as until very recently rod drive 0-8-0 diesel hydraulics were in use along with three massive centre cab C-C hydraulics, one of which has been rebuilt into a unique prototype. Plus, all the latest motive power is in use or has been demonstrated on this line from small 4 wheel Shunters to the enormous 5000Hp Voith Maxima!
So, I can go to town with modern motive power, I can run multiple various liveries not to mention a large range of goods but best of all; I can indulge other interests too!
I will discuss these at a later date. I also have a couple of completely suitable diesel units with which to run a (DB) passenger service.
Also, now that I am no longer restricted by the 2010 challenge limitations of building in 2010 square inches, I can expand the surface area of the layout - considerably.
Watch this space!
John E.

Archived