Llamedos Loco

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

The Stationmaster creaks out of the armchair deciding to have a go ('hope springs eternal' might also be a good name for this one :rolleyes:).

Basic scenario is set on a through route in a Welsh valley nobody has ever heard of, it being a rather backward place which can't even get Welsh spelling correct (due apologies to those in the Principality). As the name implies it is yet another loco depot but a lot of research years ago led me to sketch out what I reckoned might be the ultimately typical Western shed layout and that is what I am going to try to squeeze into 2010 square inches, when I can find the layout sketch (I saw it earlier this year and put it 'somewhere safe'). The next step will then be trying to find somewhere to build it.

So the technicalities -

Dimensions - I haven't yet got a clue, apart from the acreage allowed (but it will hopefully ultimately sit in a corner site with a running line curved round it),

4mm scale,

16.5 mm gauge (or thereabouts where track has to be handlaid on pit roads)

Two road loco shed (style depends on finding suitable drawings and then being able to turn them into a building).

Era is 'latter years of steam' but with a little elasticity.

Operational potential - well it's an engine shed, so not too much of that.

Hopefully there will be several 'fives' in the result (If I get that far) but they are shrouded in secrecy (but I do know what at least three of might be).

So first part of the job is to find the layout sketch and see how to make it fit. Then it may be useful to finish wiring the garage to create somewhere to work. And crrrikey - I just had a look at pics of the previous, part built, layout and saw how much you can't get into 16 sqft with decent radius pointwork :icon_redface:

Basic scenario is set on a through route in a Welsh valley nobody has ever heard of, it being a rather backward place which can't even get Welsh spelling correct (due apologies to those in the Principality).

If Dylan Thomas can have Llareggub I'm sure you can have Llamedos wink.gif

Terry Pratchett already called it. But yeah, why not?

Because Pratchett's fans are on acid trips?? :D

Go for it Mike. I was considering a loco shed but I don't have enough locos.

• RMweb Gold

Well having said what I intend to do I now face the minor problem of seeing if it will fit :blush:

Having first worked out what size of loco shed I would like the first real step in actually planning something beyond the basic layout has been to see how it looks in plan form (having guesstimated some building dimensions off an extremely small scale drawing) and then setting that out on a convenient bit of mdf which happened to be lying around. At the same time I wanted to assess the possibility of incorporating a turntable even though the shed's allocation would be getting on for 100% tank engines - but interesting to see how it might fit, perhaps, maybe :icon_question:

So the fairly critical shed part of the layout has been drawn out using a system I call PPAR (pencil, pen & ruler) and then 'site tested' in a convenient corner of the drawing office (dining room)

post-6859-12585783190597_thumb.jpg

post-6859-12585783693651_thumb.jpg

All rather frightening - that sheet of mdf is 4ftx2ft, the shed building is c.20 inches long and at this rate stands a good chance of being modelled as a demolished building as it looks huge (but it will only accommodate half a dozen tank engines :rolleyes:).

Anyway even using a corner of the dining room proved quite conclusively that the big problem is going to be selecting the optimimum angle for the shed building because while my construction methods might well result in it being far from straight the idea is that it should be.

Anyway having now got the impression that overall it ought to fit in the site, with a couple of prep pits outside the front, I decided to trace it on to some sort of plasticky packaging material so that I could wiggle it about to see if a workable angle could be arrived at. In the meanwhile the turntable idea was duly buried - although it might possibly re-emerge at a later date when the only thing which will constrain size will be the long term site for the shed module, sorry 2010 Challenge entry (hopefully).

post-6859-1258578928866_thumb.jpg

Personally I am hoping that the stationmaster will consider alternative methods of keeping the baseboard off the ground.

:lol:

Was thinking this my self. Could claim mining subsidence!!!

• RMweb Gold

:lol:

Was thinking this my self. Could claim mining subsidence!!!

Next time I shall instruct the station cat to hold the board level (or try to put a table in the corner :blink:). Actually the 'mining subsidence does sound like a very useful excuse as I have been mulling over the possibility of 'a gradient' at t'other end for scenic reasons, and if I can't get things quite right.......

• RMweb Gold

Well we had quite a good day shopping at Warley and El Dottore was interested to note that the layout so far consisted of a packet of Code 75 rail ;)

However we have made a major advance on the 'five theme' thanks to the good offices of Dart Castings doing a little bit of mixing and matching and I can now reveal - subject to painting the little folk and their hound - that 'The Famous Five' (with due acknowledgement to Ms Enid Blyton) will be loco-spotting, and perhaps even have a permit to visit the shed, at Llamedos B) .

• 4 months later...

Archived