I'm in!

Taigatrommel

I'm up for having a shot at this, if only to get me motivated to do some work on layouts which are otherwise making glacial progress.

Option 1, and the longest dormant, is Austrian narrow gauge in H0e. so far there's landscape and some track laid, but the most recent activity was removal of the Roco points and their replacement with Atlas. At this point it awaits reinstatement of the loop and reballasting, plus a lot of scenic work. It is 72" x 29" with 10"x10"x14.14" triangular cut-outs at all four corners, giving a total area of 1888 square inches.

Option 2 is a German standard gauge terminus in H0, which is ballasted but not wired. Other work so far has been limited to platforms and a low relief station building. Scenic area is 8' x 1', plus a 4' x 1' sliding plane fiddle yard (or possibly cassettes- I've only built the scenic boards!), giving an area of 1728 square inches.

Option 3 is the wild card. The New Zealand Association of Model Railway Clubs has a competition for Convention 2010 to build a layout within the area of an A3 piece of paper- ie approx 193.5 square inches. I'm currently playing about with 0-14 track templates to come up with a workable plan, and the idea at this moment is a British brickworks. I have a few KB scale bits (and I'll have to buy some more!), so at last I find myself doing something with them.

If I felt masochistic I could enter all three... and I'm still trying to work on my layout which is too large for this competition!

Progress? Already?

I've stuck some bits of paper together and somehow put together a wagon without welding it to the workbench. The exact arrangement isn't firm, just a general proof of concept. The two left hand lines would enter a works building, loaded trains in one door and empties out the other- the arrangement should allow me to simply run a couple of trains around without needing to move the loco from one end to the other- this won't score highly for operations!

post-6973-12584263987331_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Archived