Industrial loco drawings

Hedfordtfc,

Hams Hall No 9 (RSH 7151) has recently been taken out of traffic on the Avon Valley Railway, Bitton, so if a trip to Bristol is within your means, then I am sure a request to photograph and run a tape measure over her would be met favourable.

HH No 9 was the last working steam engine at HH.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 2 weeks later...

Osgood,

I have been to Middleton and measured up Mary HC D577. They were very helpful, but the loco was in service and so we could not climb on her.

Also Statfold Barn Hunslet Archives have sent me a scan of a pipework drawing of D621, an 0-4-0 allocated to an RAF Ordnance depot. They had no General Arrangements of the early DM 0-4-0 locos. This gives the overall dimensions, but omits the front after the radiator.

I have a very poor photo of an identical loco from the same order: D622 at Wilford Ordnance Depot in Nottingham. D621 was a 100hp machine, whereas Mary was about 200hp, but the general appearance is about the same, although the cab was 6" shorter according to our measurements.

Colombo

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any drawings for the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST engine similar to that manufactured by Agenoria in the form of a 7mm kit (Reference: AM31)? I'm nooking after detailed drawings as I model in the 2mm:1ft scale, main dimensions would suffice.

Thank you!

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any drawings for the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST engine similar to that manufactured by Agenoria in the form of a 7mm kit (Reference: AM31)? I'm nooking after detailed drawings as I model in the 2mm:1ft scale, main dimensions would suffice.

Thank you!

I have a number of plans scanned as PDF's at home from Railway Modeller and Model Railway Constructor magazines...I can't recall if there are definatley any Hudswell Clarke's among them but I will have a look at what I have so far. I'm away at a friends at the moment so won't be able to look for a few days though.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone find me a drawing for a Manning Wardle 2-4-0T for the Millwall Extension Railway (MW 749,750,756\1880)?

Apparently there were drawings in MRJ 53\55\56 (just one of these?) & GERS Jo. 124-125.

I don't have access to either of these so a scanned drawing would be really helpful. They did resemble the Ravenglass & Eskdale original 0-6-0T but I don't know the wheel dia or wheelbase.

Intended for 7mm modeling project.

Thanks

Dava

Can anyone find me a drawing for a Manning Wardle 2-4-0T for the Millwall Extension Railway (MW 749,750,756\1880)?

Apparently there were drawings in MRJ 53\55\56 (just one of these?) & GERS Jo. 124-125.

I don't have access to either of these so a scanned drawing would be really helpful. They did resemble the Ravenglass & Eskdale original 0-6-0T but I don't know the wheel dia or wheelbase.

Intended for 7mm modeling project.

Thanks

Dava

MRJ 53 has a very detailed 7mm : 1' scale drawing and 1 1/2 pages of notes including comparitive dimensions with the R&ER locos.  The Millwal loco has 3' 6" drivers at 4' 10" WB and 2' 8" pony wheels.  AFAIK there's nothing in MRJ's 55 or 56.  Unfortunately I can't scan the drawing for at least a month but if you're not in a rush......  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

• RMweb Premium

MRJ 53 has a very detailed 7mm : 1' scale drawing and 1 1/2 pages of notes including comparitive dimensions with the R&ER locos.  The Millwal loco has 3' 6" drivers at 4' 10" WB and 2' 8" pony wheels.  AFAIK there's nothing in MRJ's 55 or 56.  Unfortunately I can't scan the drawing for at least a month but if you're not in a rush......  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ray.

Not strictly correct on MRJ's 55 & 56. Well no drawings, but information.

55 (Page 142) has 3 photos & some notes of the 2-4-0T's and 56 (Page 197) has some brief notes on livery.

Edited to correct Issue 56 page no. as per Ray below. Thanks for the info on my typo (my index was correct!).

Edited by kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

For anyone interested, here is a photo of the Millwall Extension Rwy Manning Wardle locos, more info can be found from the source of the photo at

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/north_greenwich/

post-14654-0-97360900-1428849036.jpg

They were said to be the smallest standard gauge passenger locos at the time (1880s) and certainly the smallest 2-4-0T. Attractive subject for a future light railway model I plan to build (2016?). They lasted in PLA service into the 1920s.

Dava

• Like 1

Thank you very much. There is no rush.

By this, I meant "I'm not looking after detailed drawings".

Hello there Valentine....right I've been through my scans, the ones I have so far and I don't have anything on Hudswell Clarke locos. At the moment all I have are plans for Manning Wardles. I do still have 60 copies of Railway Modeller to go through so I might find something in there and I'm still looking for job lots of Model Railway Constructor magazines so I might still come up with something but that may well be a while.

The most comprehensive review of the Millwall Extension Rly Manning Wardle 2-4-0s I have found is in London's Dock Railways Pt 1 by Dave Marden.  A great selection of photos.

A very similar Sharp Stewart 2-4-0 HARO-HARO, ex Jersey Railway and Manchester Ship Canal construction, ended up on the Woolpit Brick & Tile's Railway in Suffolk:

http://www.elmswell-history.org.uk/arch/railway/haro.html

Edited by Osgood

Hello there Valentine....right I've been through my scans, the ones I have so far and I don't have anything on Hudswell Clarke locos. At the moment all I have are plans for Manning Wardles. I do still have 60 copies of Railway Modeller to go through so I might find something in there and I'm still looking for job lots of Model Railway Constructor magazines so I might still come up with something but that may well be a while.

Thank you very much for your efforts,

There is no rush, if you come across with some drawings, let me know.

Best regards,

Anyone got drawings for the one in Dava's profile pic, by any chance? Lincoln Archives have the Aveling and Porter drawings but that one isn't among them. If anyone knows of a drawing it will save me from having to try and find the nearest design in their collection.

• RMweb Premium

Graham

Its the Glenlossie Distillery no 3766 of 1896 shunting Aberdeen Docks in 1915 from their collection

I'd like a drawing of it too!

Dava

Its the Glenlossie Distillery no 3766 of 1896 shunting Aberdeen Docks in 1915 from their collection

I know that is the identity generally attributed but I don't believe it is. In my opinion it is the Balmenach Distillery loco 4066 of 1897. There is another photo of the one in your picture at Aberdeen harbour showing the other side and there is a photo of the Glenlossie loco which is definitely of that distillery's loco as it has Glenlossie on the nameplate on the side of it. For me there are just too many differences for it to be the same loco as the one at Aberdeen. The cylinder block is a different shape on the Glenlossie loco compared to the Aberdeen Harbour one. Glenlossie has round sandboxes whereas the Aberdeen one has square ones. The cab steps are very different and the cab side window is a different shape. The Glenlossie loco has a small platform outside the cab on which is mounted the brake lever, the brake rods are outside the wheels and the loco does not have the lamp irons near the roof.

On the other hand there is a photo thought to possibly be, but not confirmed as, the Balmenach loco which matches the one in the Aberdeen harbour photos in all those respects. The only visible differences are the Aberdeen loco has a running board at the side of the boiler and the sheet guarding the motion which projects from behind the gear wheel casing on the right hand side is larger on the Aberdeen one. Both those features look to be later, "home-made" modifications and both are similarly absent on the photo of the Glenlossie loco too. 

I suppose it is possible that the Glenlossie loco was modified extensively between delivery to the distillery in 1896 and 1915 but it seems far more likely to me that it is the Balmenach loco which has had a running board fitted than the Glenlossie loco that has had a significant number of seemingly pointless cosmetic modifications. I know there is supposed to be a record or recollection of the Glenlossie loco travelling to Aberdeen but if it did I don't believe it is the one that is the subject of the photos.

There were only two other Aveling and Porter locos known to have worked at distilleries in the area. The replacement for Glenlossie built in 1924 and the one supplied to Benriach and Lochmorn distilleries in 1896, but that was a 2-2-0WT similar to the preserved Blue Circle Cement one, so both those can be ruled out as the one at Aberdeen. There was also one supplied to Mosstowie Quarry near Elgin, No 4141 which was also an 0-4-0WT. I have never seen it suggested that this might be the loco that worked at Aberdeen though and have no idea what it looked like. 

As you can probably tell I have been researching these locos as I am planning a model of Cromdale station with the Balmenach Distillery branch. That is why I am looking out for a drawing. If nobody knows of one I will get back to the Lincoln archive and see what I can find. Then I only have to try and build it in 2mm FS. :D

Edited by Graham Hughes

• RMweb Premium

Graham,

You may well be right, before posting I tried to check and found a photo of the Glenlossie loco but not one of the Balmenach one. I don't recall having seen a photo I know to be the Balmenach loco but if it is the icon here I'm delighted.

I am also interested in the Cromdale branch, walked it from the station a few years ago and it will influence a 7mm scale model in the future. Your plan to do this in 2mmFS with an Aveling Porter fills me with respect. I'd also be interested in a drawing and may be visiting Lincoln in the near future if that may help.

Now off for a wee whisky!

Dava

Your plan to do this in 2mmFS with an Aveling Porter fills me with respect. 

Let's see if I can manage it first. It might end up that the Aveling and Porter is "away for repairs" and the distillery have "borrowed" a more conventional (and, quite co-incidentally, easier to build) loco to fill in. ;)

• Like 1

I'd also be interested in a drawing and may be visiting Lincoln in the near future if that may help.

Look what I found online earlier. IMG_8952.jpg This one seems to be the same type as Glenlossie but with the addition of the full length running plate and splashers. I think The Balmenach one was close enough that I can use the basic dimensions of this drawing. Differences in measurements are going to be negligible in 2mm scale.

I may be wrong about the Lincoln archives. What I was assuming to be the engine number on the drawings lists turn out when I look more closely just to be the archive drawing reference. They certainly have a GA listed for the replacement Glenlossie loco of 1924 and several detail drawings described as redrawn from originals of 1897. They only built four of these locos in 1897 so there's a good chance they would be the right ones for the Balmenach loco. It would really need someone to examine them to try and identify which locos are from which drawings, there doesn't seem to be any way to do this just from the archive lists.

Edited by Graham Hughes
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know that is the identity generally attributed but I don't believe it is. In my opinion it is the Balmenach Distillery loco 4066 of 1897. There is another photo of the one in your picture at Aberdeen harbour showing the other side and there is a photo of the Glenlossie loco which is definitely of that distillery's loco as it has Glenlossie on the nameplate on the side of it. For me there are just too many differences for it to be the same loco as the one at Aberdeen. The cylinder block is a different shape on the Glenlossie loco compared to the Aberdeen Harbour one. Glenlossie has round sandboxes whereas the Aberdeen one has square ones. The cab steps are very different and the cab side window is a different shape. The Glenlossie loco has a small platform outside the cab on which is mounted the brake lever, the brake rods are outside the wheels and the loco does not have the lamp irons near the roof.

On the other hand there is a photo thought to possibly be, but not confirmed as, the Balmenach loco which matches the one in the Aberdeen harbour photos in all those respects. The only visible differences are the Aberdeen loco has a running board at the side of the boiler and the sheet guarding the motion which projects from behind the gear wheel casing on the right hand side is larger on the Aberdeen one. Both those features look to be later, "home-made" modifications and both are similarly absent on the photo of the Glenlossie loco too. 

I suppose it is possible that the Glenlossie loco was modified extensively between delivery to the distillery in 1896 and 1915 but it seems far more likely to me that it is the Balmenach loco which has had a running board fitted than the Glenlossie loco that has had a significant number of seemingly pointless cosmetic modifications. I know there is supposed to be a record or recollection of the Glenlossie loco travelling to Aberdeen but if it did I don't believe it is the one that is the subject of the photos.

There were only two other Aveling and Porter locos known to have worked at distilleries in the area. The replacement for Glenlossie built in 1924 and the one supplied to Benriach and Lochmorn distilleries in 1896, but that was a 2-2-0WT similar to the preserved Blue Circle Cement one, so both those can be ruled out as the one at Aberdeen. There was also one supplied to Mosstowie Quarry near Elgin, No 4141 which was also an 0-4-0WT. I have never seen it suggested that this might be the loco that worked at Aberdeen though and have no idea what it looked like. 

As you can probably tell I have been researching these locos as I am planning a model of Cromdale station with the Balmenach Distillery branch. That is why I am looking out for a drawing. If nobody knows of one I will get back to the Lincoln archive and see what I can find. Then I only have to try and build it in 2mm FS. :D

2mm Aveling & Porter? I've been down that road!  Getting one to work proved challenging! :banghead:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1345/entry-11886-a-long-standing-project-revived/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1345/entry-15025-aveling-porter-the-twiddly-bits/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1345/entry-15052-the-aveling-porter-steps-out/

Mark

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The  December Railway Modeller has a 4-page article by John Treays on Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST locos, with drawings of 5 variants and a good selection of photos. Its principally of use to those modelling in 4mm scale and using the ARC resin body kits on the L&YR Pug chassis. Nothing wrong with that. Drawings of Barclay Pugs are surprisingly hard to come by.

See the ARC kits at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76530-arc-models-new-range-of-4mm-scale-products/page-8

Its less useful for those modelling in larger scales or building their own chassis. Only one drawing shows detail below the running plate and the variations in cylinder size, wheel diameter etc. which affected the overall sizes considerably, from the elegant to the thuggish, are not mentioned. But its a useful introduction to the ubiquitous uber-Pug. The definitive drawing and photo collection for this varied and long-lived loco type yet awaits. University of Glasgow apparently holds the Barclay archive and drawings. Someone is going to have to go and mine them, one day! (maybe they already have).

Dava

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...