Port Solent Boathouse Number 5 - an EHLR 009 layout

Guest 009matt

Which lighthouse?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Look at the lighthouses below. Which would be the best one to suit my proposal. I am not sure, I like bits of all 3. I will go with the majority!

• Hurst Point
    • St Catherines
    • Shoreham by Sea

Guest 009matt

I can't resist a challenge. After being inspired by the coastal scenes on Dunbracken and Calshot, I really want to do something with water and a boat. I have a Revell WW2 boat (can't remember until later) and therefore will be set during WW2. My EHLR for those of you in the know, has a fictitious history, with the line extending from the original Petersfield to Alton, northwards to the RAE at Franborough and douth to the terminus at Port Solent (via the route of the Horndean Lt Rly, purchhased by the EHLR before it was closed, and regaguged to 2'3". I also am in awe of Troels Kirk's lighthouse, so would like to include a lighthouse. Not sure of the trackplan but I like the idea of the Port Solent station being a small passing loop, with an extension line on to the dockyard scene, ending at boathouse number 5. Traffic will support passengers and ammunition and maybe the odd aeroplane part. I would like to have some cameos of some famous leaders visiting the site (the guy often with a cigar in his mouth!)Plan to follow when I get the chance (3 day old baby to think about plus 2.5 yr old to entertain plus work and exhibiting EHLR and building the Oetscherbartal layout in the loft)

ps-1.jpg

board profile 1836 square inches (edited due to calculation error - thanks JohnDMJ!)

there should be a 6" striprunning along the top connecting it all together!

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I like the sound of this! B)

Will certainly be interested in seeing this one develop. I need to grab some ideas for scenic scope on Calshot and if you get this sorted than i'll be very interested in seeing it!

Boy would I LOVE to do a new layout to tie in with Calshot. Won't be allowed to though :(

I'm wondering whether to break up my Catalina and use it for wagon loads considering it won't fit on the layout?

Anyway, I can see a lot of scope for this layout. Will you be able to link it to the EHLR - i'm guessing it would be difficult considering the EHLR is circular.

The RAF launch boat would be an interesting boat, it might even be the one you have?

Guest 009matt

I like the sound of this! B)

Will certainly be interested in seeing this one develop. I need to grab some ideas for scenic scope on Calshot and if you get this sorted than i'll be very interested in seeing it!

Boy would I LOVE to do a new layout to tie in with Calshot. Won't be allowed to though :(

I'm wondering whether to break up my Catalina and use it for wagon loads considering it won't fit on the layout?

Anyway, I can see a lot of scope for this layout. Will you be able to link it to the EHLR - i'm guessing it would be difficult considering the EHLR is circular.

The RAF launch boat would be an interesting boat, it might even be the one you have?

The boat is a vosper. Why not enter the developments of Clashot as an entry? It could qualify, as by looking at what you've been up to, it's almost an entirely new layout.

There may be possibilities of connecting to the donut!

Could you have the Catalina in a hangar being constructed? Seems a shame to break upa a model.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I suspect Calshot is a little too far ahead in construction to be entered? Plus i've no idea of the size of it - particularly with the (unbuilt) fiddle yard.

Although I have kept its construction well documented on the old forum. The Catalina is huge compared to the hangar (i've probably built it too small) so the wings would have to be taken off and the whole plane chopped in half, showing only the nose...

Interesting, would the two layouts ever be exhibitable together?

It would certainly look good with a branch off to some docks or suchlike, only I wouldn't know where or how you could connect your two layouts up.

Being part Caulkhead, my vote also went down to St Catherine's; I like its octagonal tower, which is unusual!

Now, to be an authentic model, you need to get its flash signature correct as well!

Guest 009matt

Yup! used to spend a lot of time at Yaverland, too. The I had my wings clipped. :icon_wave:

This page might be a little more relevant, though! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Isle_of_Wight#Caulkheads_and_other_Island_terms

I read that one too, but as the list came up, there was the one about pterosaurs, so thought I would make a joke!

[This one is not a joke]I am still waiting for you to put up an H0m layout as an entry to the challenge.[/This one is not a joke]

I read that one too, but as the list came up, there was the one about pterosaurs, so thought I would make a joke!

Now why am I not surprised?

[This one is not a joke]I am still waiting for you to put up an H0m layout as an entry to the challenge.[/This one is not a joke]

The impossible, we do at once, miracles take a little longer, patienter, mon ami!

Guest 009matt

Baseboard arrived today, courtesey of JohnDMJ courier service! (thanks John)

It is a piece of HD polystyrene 5cm thick It has a length of 5'5" and a width of 2ft. It will be faced with cardboard to protect the edges. It will be fragile, but other layouts seem to be OK (Chris Nevard's Ctacott is built out of foamboard)

I will add a photo later of the basic layout, but it has changed from the original!

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant, that should be a boost to get underway if you ever needed one. I know you have discussed the fragililty (Is that even a word?) of the cardboard, but perhaps a few tests would be appropriate (And I don't mean breaking the polystyrene!) just to make sure. However, I am sure it will be fine, as long as you use good strength cardboard. I'll be awaiting the basic layout, and I have read your comment on my profile - don't tempt me! They'll chuck me out of the house!

• RMweb Gold
I've read it too. 009Matt - behave yourself!

:lol: He can be very persuasive as you and me both know ;)

It has got me thinking though... :blink: Perhaps next year? Perhaps even a combined effort?

4mm ply or MDF might provide better protection.

Indeed, perhaps construction of the baseboards may be more suited to something similar (but better) to what i've done on Calshot?

4mm ply arranged as uprisers with the HD polystyrene fixed onto the horizontal supports between the ply uprisers? Just a thought...

Indeed, perhaps construction of the baseboards may be more suited to something similar (but better) to what i've done on Calshot?

4mm ply arranged as uprisers with the HD polystyrene fixed onto the horizontal supports between the ply uprisers? Just a thought...

Ah, you haven't seen this yelofoam then. A solid block, for example 600mm x 2500mm x 50mm of very high density foam ostensibly for insulation but makes a very good baseboard, I've seen one company trying to sell baseboards ready made with this in a 1/4" ply surround for ??75+! It really only needs a frame to support it.

• RMweb Gold

Oh right, that would explain it. Just how expensive is it for them to be selling it at ??75+?

Sorry Matt, have your thread back! I'm thinking about getting a book focusing on all the narrow gauge railways around the Solent, inc the RAF Calshot one and many others - may be worth a look? A further look at Southampton's Quayside Railways

Guest 009matt

I have decided to egdge it with 2x1 pse timber, strong but shallow wenough. and will allow easy fixing of the backscene. I am uploading pics as we speak. At 5'5" it is quite long (I'm used to my little circle. I will commence fitting of baseboard holders for MBahn tomorrow! An 8x2 sheet cost ??10.78

Guest 009matt

20112009614-1.jpg overall view with vosper mtb hull in corner.

20112009616.jpg Hunslet no 567 tried for size by lighthouse foundation. Looks like it will be baseed on st catherines!

Guest 009matt

I have framed the board now to provide some extra protection with 2x 1 pse wood. I have also cut out a gap at the back to accept a piece of wood that will be a simple makeshift traverser. The trackplan has had to change as I bought some settrack from the local model shop which was 10.5" radius - I was worried about keeping a 9" curve of flexi track stuck to the board! The feel of the layout is a shunting puzzle witha through line, to offer some interest, along with a passenger railbus shuttle courtesey of Clarabelle. The real challenge for me is using PVA glue, rather than my favoured glue gun, as it just melts its way through the board.

Matt

Guest 009matt

Looks good there matt,

what sort of planes are you going to put in the hanger?

I think Supermarine Walrus would look a treat there.

keep up the good work,

Will

Hi Will,

I like the look of that. It was originally going to be just boats, but flying boats - hence the link with RAE at the other end of the line!

The boathouse interior will be obscured from view. I may even put a sliding door that opens when goods enter. I might have it as a repair shop for flying boats. I will just have parts going into it.

Invercloy - the radius at both ends is 10.5" I am going to try and avoid too many cliches about military served railways - rows of soldiers/sailors on parade etc.

Matt

Archived