Port Solent Boathouse Number 5 - an EHLR 009 layout

Guest 009matt

Which lighthouse?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Look at the lighthouses below. Which would be the best one to suit my proposal. I am not sure, I like bits of all 3. I will go with the majority!

• Hurst Point
    • St Catherines
    • Shoreham by Sea

Guest 009matt

Being part Caulkhead, my vote also went down to St Catherine's; I like its octagonal tower, which is unusual!

Now, to be an authentic model, you need to get its flash signature correct as well!

I have closed the poll, the design will be based upon St catherines, the poll was there for the basic shape/construction etc, but will be modified to fit my layout. Hope Warley was good

Matt

Guest 009matt

Thanks, the layout is coming on, I have painted the board edges black and tracklaying will commence soon. I have to get the traverser working too.

Matt

Guest 009matt

It si purely a simple piece of mDF that will slide back and forth, with 3 or 4 tracks alignment by little loop and pins a la DMJ!

Matt

Guest 009matt

Uh Oh, what am I being roped into now? (or accused of?) :rolleyes: :icon_lol:

Just simply your fiddle yard electrical continuity approach - little bolts that are soldered to the rail and can be slid in and out to the relevant conectors

Matt

Guest 009matt

Take 1 pack of BT1 and mix with one pack of BR2 from your local Folly delicatessen. Baste generously with Fry Powerflow and cook thoroughly with a hot 50W iron and multicore.

Season liberally with rolling stock until satisfaction can be gained.

This isn't just any model railway, this is a 009 model railway........

Guest 009matt

Just been doing more reading about MTB's, wikipedia throws up the following image! Lots of things seem to be extremely coincidental, I write it, then check the history and it all matches (witha little fudge factor) Spooooky

Royal_Navy_MTB_5.jpg

Guest 009matt

Hi all - if anyone has any comments that would be good!

Been working hard this afternoon- we have the sea bed 'DASsed' ready for painting when dry, with some clear silicone caulk as the waves/sea.

track is also down but as the PVA is still wet, I have not tested yet, but pushing pins into foam is fun.

06122009671.jpg

06122009672.jpg

06122009673.jpg

06122009674.jpg

06122009667.jpg

Matt

Looks cracking, Matt - I like the impression of space from the dockside area - I definitely reckon you've got the balance right between open spaces and operating interest!

I also like the idea of having a continuous run, as I'm planning the potential of one into my Hafod Las re-hash, something that wasn't really feasible on the original as I couldn't imagine a loco running into a mill at line speed! How are you planning on disguising the 'N' track? I'm quite interested as I'm going to have to do the same on Hafod Las...

John - I'd be inclined to think that the torpedo boat would be about right, once the caulk's been added - they had pretty shallow draughts, and it could always be depicted as undergoing a replen, and therefore light in the water?

John - I'd be inclined to think that the torpedo boat would be about right, once the caulk's been added - they had pretty shallow draughts, and it could always be depicted as undergoing a replen, and therefore light in the water?

Agree, but it would only be sitting on its keel like that in a dry dock! :lol:

Agree, but it would only be sitting on its keel like that in a dry dock! laugh.gif

Hmm... there is that! Suppose the DAS seabed could always be made a bit murkier so that it looks deeper by the dockside, as though it's dredged... then the Vosper won't ground itself on its way out laugh.gif

Guest 009matt

I have followeed a tutorial in Shepherd Paine's Diorama book, where after clever painting and the right amount of caulk, it will (should) look right and not as if it is dredging. The front end of the ship has a part of the keel out of the water usually - it doesn't seem to follow the black plimsoll line. This even occurs at rest as many photos will show.

I will be using carefully sculpted Das to infill the tracks to create a paved/cobbled/concrete look. We have done this on the club's oo dock section of the layout and it looks good.

Thanks for comments.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 009matt

RNAS Port Solent (HMS Avocet) is the official title of the dockyard - would have liked hms aubrey, but rnas tend to be named after birds (particularly 'wet' birds)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 009matt

Seems like I only talk to myself on here! Anyway, I have wired and tested all of the track, which is working fine. I now will start to infill the tracks with DAS. Photos will be added later on this week

• RMweb Gold

That's great news, i'm sure i'm not the only one who reads this thread though Matt, it would be nice if others did comment. I'm intriqued as to how you do the infill using DAS, I will certainly use it for a future project.

How many locomotives do you have at current? I'd like to know what chassis and bodies you use for your locomotives. The only chassis I can find of use is the tram chassis like you suggested. I know you mention using N gauge locomotive chassis. Is there a particular locomotive chassis you often use?

TIA,

Jam

Guest 009matt

That's great news, i'm sure i'm not the only one who reads this thread though Matt, it would be nice if others did comment. I'm intriqued as to how you do the infill using DAS, I will certainly use it for a future project.

How many locomotives do you have at current? I'd like to know what chassis and bodies you use for your locomotives. The only chassis I can find of use is the tram chassis like you suggested. I know you mention using N gauge locomotive chassis. Is there a particular locomotive chassis you often use?

TIA,

Jam

locos - backwoods ngg16 garratt under construction ( comes with chassis units for builder to construct) http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/009kits.htm (about of a 3rd down)

sierra leone hunslet http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DMDL01&style=&strType=&Mcode=Parkside%20Dundas%20DL01 on a grafar outside framed 08 shunter, with con rods added from scrap n gauge loco along with pony wheels - lovely runner and looks great too.

Bo-bo diesel - knightwing body on Dapol 73 chassis

0-6-0 diesel - Dapol plastic drewery cut down body on Bachmann plymouth switcher

clarabelle - on a Bachmann gp50 chassis

'sir handel' ertl on a tram chassis

scratchbuilt manning wardle on a Dapol prairie chassis http://www.hattons.co.uk/ProductList/bargains2.asp?m=24&p=6&s=2

vale of rheidol whitemetal kit on a Dapol ivatt 2-6-2 chassis - this has an original Hornby (not nmra comp) so does not work correctly with my prodigy system :-(

when it comes to chassis, there are n drive productions ( quite pricey, but designed for a purpose) http://www.n-driveproductions.com/ and fleischmann 0-4-0's are popular.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Matt, that's brilliant. There are always a few bargains on Ebay to be had so I always keep an eye out just to make sure. I'll only need one locomotive at present but I hope one day i'll be able to aquire more. [Don't tell anyone] I've even drawn up an 009 plan again based on Calshot [/Don't tell anyone]

Good luck with the project!

Guest 009matt

There are always a few bargains on Ebay to be had so I always keep an eye out just to make sure.

Just be careful - some of the stuff on ebay can be useless. Generally the older the mechnaism the worse it is.

Look at this site for more guidance. The guy has produced an amazing model and offers lots of help and guidance, but can on occasion come across as being quite negative towards anything that isn't a perfectly built model - we all have to start somewhere!

http://www.009.cd2.com/how_to/getting_009_to_work.htm

matt

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Matt. I know the stuff on ebay can be very dodgy. I think i've got the names of the best mechanisms to use. The only thing I would buy off ebay is the tram chassis or a loco body. (There's a GEM kit for one of the locos that used to work at Calshot on there at the moment) It seems the hardest thing about 009 is finding the right chassis! Thanks for the link too.

Jam :)

Archived