Port Solent Boathouse Number 5 - an EHLR 009 layout

Guest 009matt

Which lighthouse?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Look at the lighthouses below. Which would be the best one to suit my proposal. I am not sure, I like bits of all 3. I will go with the majority!

• Hurst Point
    • St Catherines
    • Shoreham by Sea

Don't worry Jam, you're not the only one reading the Port Solent thread :)

Matt - congrats on getting the track wired up - I'm about 200 miles from Hafod Las at the minute so have only been able to plot some ideas... please do put photos up though, as I'm very interested to see how well the DAS infilling goes before I attempt it on mine.

Also, you could always document your build of the NGG16 - I've long been tempted by one, but it'll be a while before it happens... ;)

Oh, and Jam - my ears have just pricked up at the idea of an 009 Calshot... I've been quietly following your blog, so I'm intrigued about this one :blink:

Guest 009matt

Here are some update pics along with a tutorila for dassing as requested

DSC_0247-1.jpg

DSC_0248-1.jpg

DSC_0249-1.jpg

DSC_0250-2.jpg

DSC_0251-1.jpg

DSC_0252-1.jpg

DSC_0253-1.jpg

DSC_0254-1.jpg

DSC_0255-1.jpg

Tools required - one of these sculpting tools, a pack of air drying clay, jar of water , pva glue, spreader and a finger!

DSC_0256-1.jpg

DSC_0257-1.jpg

DSC_0258-1.jpg

DSC_0259-1.jpg

DSC_0260-1.jpg

DSC_0261-1.jpg

DSC_0262-1.jpg

DSC_0263-1.jpg

DSC_0264-1.jpg

DSC_0265-1.jpg

DSC_0266-1.jpg

Guest 009matt

Yes, das makes it soooo much cleaner. Just remember to use plenty of water when smoothing. Yes, they are both airfix, but I have not yet finalised their positions. I will too never touch polyfilla - dries too quickly (when at the correct consistency) and gets everywhere if it is too thin. Das is more like marzipan and only goes where you put it!

Here are some update pics along with a tutorila for dassing as requested

This must be the Spanish version!

And, in the immortal phrase: 'Das de way to do it!'

now, before I get my coat (it's cold here in switzerland!), can I just reassure you that someone else also is reading this thread?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest 009matt

Well, I have been hard at work over 1/2 term last week in preparation for the Midhurst exhibition on Sunday. I will post pics this weekend of progress as time is tight. There is still lots to do (airfix kits etc) but it will be operational on Sunday. I am really pleased with the way that it looks.

Guest 009matt

Whilst at NGSW, I purchased two Lifelike 0-6-0 chassis in order to make a garratt for the East hants. It will be constructed from mainly plasticard and fitted with DCC chips. Whilst talking to a friend on the way back about sound, he said a sound decoder/speaker would fit inside the boiler. I didn't like the idea, as as far as I was aware, sound decoders were £100 upwards, until on ebay, I found one of these for £25 including postage from USA http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120517067542&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT it has synchronized chuffs for articulated locos too.

The design will be a sort of cross between the one that Peter wallace has made on ngrm online http://ngrm-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=986.0

and http://users.powernet.co.uk/hamilton/bgpix/ngg11fn.jpg

Here is the design, followed by variations of colour schemes

ngg11_project.jpg

ngg11.jpg

southernngg11copy.jpg

lbscnggcopy.jpg

ngg11_projectwdcopy.jpg

I will probably go for either the WD livery or the all black livery - what do you think? Sorry for poor picture quality

Comments welcomed (not about orientation of cylinders please, I know about this, but I have to work with the chassis I have!)

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest 009matt

If it's not too late to add my say, I also prefer the WD livery ;)

Has Port Solent progressed? I know times have been quite busy lately.

The layout is certainly looking good in the photos from December. (Was it really that long ago?!)

All the best.

Hi Jam,

cheers, the WD livery has been built and will be runing on saturday (with sound!)

Port solent had a first showing at Midhurst, but needs a lot more befor it is finally finished, but looks great.

See you sat

Matt

Archived