Bmthtrains' 2010 Challenge - DLR in N

bmthtrains - David

David, you have some patience to be cutting out them windows, but 656, i think i would be a bit frustrated by then blink.gif laugh.gif

Looks good anyhow, and should be a great entry once its finished.

Keep it up mate wink.gif (and hope the buildings stay up aswell tongue.gif )

Ste smile.gif

Now doesn't that look nice? Well done , David - though if you are going to cut all 656 - you have more patience than me. Just think another 10 and it would have had to be called "Beastly Towers"! Between you, GravyTrain, Mr Nevard, Tetley Mills, and the gentleman building the Hebridean ferry(apologies, your name escapes meblush.gif ), we have some top class modellers on here

• RMweb Gold

Impressive start, I'm enjoying watching this progress.

One feature of DLR is the pace of change, and this leads to odd sections being abandoned or remodelled. Perhaps this could be used to hint at greater complexity without extra actual trackwork.

Dave

Would a cutter/stamp help?

Maybe take a piece of rectangular metal tube to the same size as the windows, and file the walls of the tube at one end to a sharp edge. Put a piece of wood that's a tight fit in the other end, then a sharp tap with a hammer with the stamp in position would cut the card.

Just an idea...

This is a very interesting project and the "baby Tower" is shaping up well. I've thought about the potential of modelling the DLR in the past but the challenges just seemed too formidable.

One comment - what period are you modelling , and what part of the system? It may seem an odd question but the DLR has been in business for nearly 25 years and has changed and developed radically in that time. EG Initial System structures were in a completely different house style to those on the Becton extension : they are getting few and far between now but the Stratford branch should still have a few stations like that . Places like Pudding Mill Lane and the new Stratford are a different style to the Beckton line

What stock are you choosing and in what livery? The P86 stock is long gone, and I think the P89 stock may have gone too. The B92 stock was very similar but had detailed differences. I think the latest stock may have broken the mould . Do you want the initial blue with red/white livery or the recent red livery? single, double or triple length platforms? The scenery is apt to change with period too, though if you are building a representation of the Tower, this implies 2 unit platforms and the B92 stock are already around

Thanks for all the comments! Work on the tower is progressing slowly - another 450 windows to do! :unsure:

As to the era, I am modelling a smaller version of 'now', so the vehicles will be B2k stock in the red and blue 'river' livery, but running as single units. The structures are going to be a hybrid of the earlier southern leg construction (for which Bernard Taylor kindly send me some plans), and the more modern airport leg (for which I have a ton of photos!).

Missy referred to that wonderful french airport model that was apparently at Warley this year - I've seen it several times before, and I guess this is the kind of model I'm after - something that is obviously a model (as in its a basic track circuit in a slightly unrealistic manner), but the uniqueness of it balances that out.

After this building is done, I will be convinved I can make this to an acceptable standard, and in the new year will start on the board - and learning how to model water!

David

Litlte progress on the building - although I have started looking for a lighting solution for the roof top flashing beacon. For now, I'm having a look at how the final layout design will come together, and in particular the size proportions. Here you can get an idea of how big these buildings are going to be!

David

post-6666-12609045157473_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

It will indeed be 5 Canada Dock! :D Among several 5s to appear on the model. The tallest tower would be about 13 floors, which is tall enough for me I think!

David

That sounds a great original idea for the 2010 Challenge, I've been on the DLR myself on a visit to London to see my Cousin a few years back now and can remember sitting right at the front of the train and being blown away about how futuristic it looked!!!!

Looking at some of the entries on this forum has inspired me to have a go and enter a layout!

Sammyboy

Archived