Seaside Miniature Railway at the Stade, Hastings

bertiedog

The bases of the passenger cars, solid oak parquet strips, which can be sawn and milled to shape in a mass production jig for consistency, with seats made from sawn and milled wooden strip, added to the top, and recesses underneath for the bogies, (to be sourced, along with wheels).

post-6750-12587177942542_thumb.jpg

Wood stock for passenger cars.

Thoughts on the bogies are moving towards home made solid milled brass ones, inside bearings with false outer frames, easy to make and cheap, and also heavy and accurate, which a lot of the commercial ones are not.

post-6750-12587205897906_thumb.jpg

Three cars to each train, coupled with brass loop and drop pins, as they do not need auto coupling, except at each end for the Locomotives.

Stephen.

And a suitable Passenger Car design to suit the wood available, and brass inside bearing bogies. It can have false outside frames added to the bogies later on.

Pin and link couplings in each set, with rapido type on each end car for auto coupling to locomotives.

post-6750-12587236982091_thumb.jpg

Stephen

I did a design for an 016.5 Gauge Railcar, the outline of which can be easily adapted to run on 10.5 inch gauge track, (9mm 000).

post-6750-12587322676977_thumb.jpg

This will be done again for the Hastings Rock-a-Nore Miniature Railway Line, made to fit a RTR Tomix, or Kato, chassis as available. The over all size can be reduced about 20% to suit the narrower gauge. The Hastings Rock-a-nore line has no really defined loading gauge, but the size needs to be in proportion. A Brass, Wood and Plastic body, with interior as far as the mechanism will allow.

Stephen

The Fishing Fleet arrives today, or at least two have, courtesy of a local gift shop in Chatham with a pre-Christmas sale on, two wooden boats at ??15.00, the smaller ??5.00. I don't know how the FE makers could have produced these fine model boats for sale at these sort of prices! The shop have some more coming soon, different hulls, a crabber I think, so one of those to be bought when available.

Click on picture for full size viewer on most browsers

post-6750-1258828188331_thumb.jpg

The Scale Size is just about right for 7mm to the foot, the smaller trawler being nearer the real smaller Hastings types. I am not too bothered about the exact details, crabbers, bottom trawl or lines, they can be altered a bit, re-rigged with black woven silk suture etc, and given a full repaint to weather them for the beach. They will have Port Of Rye registrations added, this is the actual port registration for the Hastings fishing boats..

post-6750-12588282068726_thumb.jpg

The Hastings boats are beached to land, and moor up, and have strengthened bottom and runners, to be able to be dragged over the shingle on wooden baulks to the top of the beach, pulled by winched cables. These used to be steam powered, so one winch line will be portrayed with a steam boiler and engine, and another with a diesel and lorry axle gearbox winch. They stand in the huts at the top of the shingle.

post-6750-12588282188705_thumb.jpg

There's plenty of detail on the models as they stand, but nets and ropes can be added, catch boxes and fish, and of course, a full crew.

post-6750-12588282325502_thumb.jpg

They will now be stripped down to do the work, and detail more correctly for Port of Rye.

Stephen.

For those unfamiliar with the Line, there is a good pair of videos of the line in 1989/95, with the Bogie Diesel in operation, links to You tube below, first 1989 then 1995

Stephen.

Thank you for linking to my videos - having only just found this thread I was about to post them myself but instead will post a link to film I also have on youtube of 'firefly' in its new home.

Kerr's Miniature Railway 1997

and

Kerr's Miniature Railway 2009

Nick

Thank you for linking to my videos - having only just found this thread I was about to post them myself but instead will post a link to film I also have on youtube of 'firefly' in its new home.

Kerr's Miniature Railway 1997

and

Kerr's Miniature Railway 2009

Nick

Interesting video, many thanks. I was thinking along the lines of Firefly for the steam loco, it proved difficult to get a history of the Hastings line as such. I hope the line there is better run again in future with steam. The model is not an exact representation, anything suitable to the theme is to be run.

Stephen

A Steam Engine for the line can be based upon the 060 tender Loco that operated at Hastings few years ago, now long gone.

post-6750-1258720146328_thumb.jpg

Stephen

It's going to be good to see a model of one of HCS Bullocks locomotives - really looking forward to this! Not tempted to model it in its tank form then?!

post-6750-12590061077819_thumb.jpg

A bit more thought on the design of the track, and the inclusion of the far end Station at Rock-a-Nore, with a hidden reversing triangle, under the sheds. The line across the road will be under a bridge building, with mirrors to hide the track from view, giving the impression of a clear under road.

The revision will allow end to end running as well as around the main loop line, the proportions are altered to allow the changes, but will need to be worked out exactly before laying out the track bed on the baseboards.

Stephen.

post-6750-12590143564981_thumb.jpg

Bit more design revision tonight, with the run around loop at the Rock-a-Nore Station going back on to the triangle reversing track, (under cover of the buildings), and back, rather than a plain run around loop. This allows more space for the passenger stock to stand whilst the run around is done.

I think the track will now provide interesting operation, both loop and end to end, and the spare right hand end can be used for the East Cliff Funicular Railway as well. It just comes within the maximum size for the 2010 Challenge rules.

The bogies are under way for the passenger stock, but the wheels are a bit costly commercially, so I am making a batch on the lathe instead, 6.00 mm fine scale 9mm type NMRA profile, back to back, and track standards.

Also being done on the lathe is a set of custom track roller gauges, and a special adjustable three point gauge, compensated for the tight curves involved, six inches maximum.

Stephen.

Working through the basic dimensions of the Fishing Net Shop Houses, quoted by the Fisherman's Museum of Hastings website as averaging 30 foot high, they seem to be based on 8 foot cubes, the sizes are shown in feet on the photograph shown below. Some are bigger and some shorter, some have cellars dug to the bedrock under them.

8 foot equals 56mm in 7mm to the foot scale ( not 1/4 inch O scale as in the States), so about 2.2 inches square, and 30 feet equalling 210 mm, so about 8.26 inches high. This is a bit smaller than I first thought, but it will save space etc., within the layout, just fine. It reduces the build a lot, Depron frames will work just fine, with a wooden strip over lay added to he plastic frame work. The wood will be oak, stained black oak, and painted thin black as well, with lighter, dry brushed, highlights.

post-6750-125909803093_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

I am unsure as to whether the Hastings line ever had a turntable at the Rock-a Nore Station?? None there now, or recently, but it appears to have one in some early shots, but the shots are partial, not showing enough to confirm.

Any experts or locals out there??

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the traditional net shops are surprisingly small. There are also a few smaller shacks made from upturned boat prows which might make a nice detail.

I can't advise on the turntable as I only know the place as it is now, but I do like the extended plan and I'm looking forward to seeing progress.

Looks like an interesting project Stephen, it's nice to see more O9 layouts. I found it a very satisfying scale to work in for my experiment, although that's 1:48 on 9mm track so a slightly wider prototype gauge.

A couple of possibly useful points regarding mechanisms: The Kato 4W chassis will run happily around 100mm radius curves, and is a decent mechanism for the money but needs lots of weight. I also saw a very promising looking Tomix bogie chassis with a large (relatively) flywheel - I haven't tried this personally but it might be worth considering.

Cheers,

Will

A couple of notes on scale and track sizes, for 101/2 gauge Miniature Railways

7 mm to the foot is the nominal UK scale ratio, therefore 1:43.54 , which is O Gauge in the UK, but not in the United States, where 1/4inch to the Foot is used, therefore it's 1.48 O Scale.

9mm track, (000)
, is therefore 9 x 43.54 = 391.85 mm or
15.4 inch gauge.

In
/
US O scale it would be 9 x 48 = 432mm or
17 inch gauge.

For Exact Scale
10.5 inch in 7mm it would be 266.7/ 43.54 =
6.125mm
, so
Z gauge
track could be used as nearest.

In
/
inch
O scale
it would be
inch, or
5.556mm,
smaller then
Z gauge.

Therefore using 9mm track does not portray 10.5 inches exactly, being nearer to the RHDR 15 inch gauge, but the difference can be lived with.

The alternative is to adjust the scale, it be 1:29.633 scale to make the 9mm track equal 10.5 inches, but this increases the buildings size and proportion, and makes figures more difficult.

So nominally it remains at 1.43.54, as a 15 inch gauge, so that O scale structures and figures can be used.

Now the track plan can be finalised a bit more, cutting down a bit, and adjusting the proportions for the exact sizes of the fishing net lofts, all within the 2010 square inch limit of the RM Challenge.

Stephen

Looks like an interesting project Stephen, it's nice to see more O9 layouts. I found it a very satisfying scale to work in for my experiment, although that's 1:48 on 9mm track so a slightly wider prototype gauge.

A couple of possibly useful points regarding mechanisms: The Kato 4W chassis will run happily around 100mm radius curves, and is a decent mechanism for the money but needs lots of weight. I also saw a very promising looking Tomix bogie chassis with a large (relatively) flywheel - I haven't tried this personally but it might be worth considering.

Cheers,

Will

There's a Tomix Bo-Bo on order from Hong Kong, I will post on it as soon as it arrives, should fit a bogied Diesel body or railcar.

Stephen

post-6750-125918519165_thumb.jpg

Revised again, buildings in corrected real sizes, and a possible arrangement of the net houses for best effect, and the sheds covering the triangle and loop extension across the road, to be hidden with mirrors set across the road, John Allen style.

Minimum curves at about 6inch, which should suit most N gauge mechanisms.

Loads of things to make, small items first, and stored, and starting on the track, all PC paxolin board, to be cut into strips etc., and more rail section to be bought in. Most track will be direct to the baseboard, or on Depron sheet if I can source the thin version of the plastic foam sheet.

Stephen.

post-6750-12593341733419_thumb.jpg

Consideration of the room area available in the house, and the layout costs, led me to re-draw the line, as in the plan.

It means better access around the layout, and simplifies the Rock-a-Nore station, which is vital to the line. The loop is covered at the right hand eastern end, without any wasted space, with a cover over the road, again with mirror to hide the track completely from view underneath. The third storage line may be cut as well later on.

It allows more beach space for fishing huts and boats, tractors etc, and gives a more open look to the shingle area, whilst still allowing for the addition of the Cliff Railway over the sidings. The wall of the sidings will be modelled on the real shops etc along the Rock-a-nore road, in very low 3D relief.

Any comments on the design? with due relation to the real line, shown on the drawing.

post-6750-12593360524651_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of Fisherman's Museum

Stephen

With a slight modification to the lead in, you could make the hidden sidings all the same length as here:

stadeparallel.jpg

The approach is the same radius as before.

Yes, much better arrangement, the loop is nowhere in real life, but it makes it interesting for running,

Stephen

Archived