London Minories

ian

• RMweb Gold

I can't decide which of the two top possibilities for my 2010 layout I should choose. Both would be part of putative bigger schemes and both have some parts laid in for when I get a new stock of round tuits.

Option 1 is N gauge using 2mmFS Easitrac and copperclad points. This will give nice looking track to go with the latest N gauge models. (No, I'm resisting the siren call of 2mmFS - the ability to run things straight out of the box is a given.) The challenge layout would be a contemporary steel terminal in the West Midlands.

Option 2 is OO9 using code 40 rail and copperclad sleepers. Again this will give nicer looking track than the Peco project. It will feature a W&L(ish) station on a slightly modified W&L (let's call it the L&W). Set in the 30s under GW stewardship (argh - a GW branch line:icon_mutter:).

I really can't decide, so help me out here and vote!

Option 1 is N gauge using 2mmFS Easitrac and copperclad points. This will give nice looking track to go with the latest N gauge models. (No, I'm resisting the siren call of 2mmFS - the ability to run things straight out of the box is a given.) The challenge layout would be a contemporary steel terminal in the West Midlands.

I'd like to see that as it could break new ground for N! Mix the BH with FB and the result would be very realistic.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the best tradition of these things, the answer is none of the above.:P

I can't separate the steel terminal from the main 'West Midland Lines' plan without causing major upset somewhere and I don't have the time to build a load of W&L stock, so...

I have decided to add a bit to my putative 'West Midland Lines' scheme to give a London terminus for some services and cut down on the number of trains spending their time underground in the fiddle yard. Some of the trains need pit ponies, not locomotives!

So, my entry will be 'London Minories' (bet you can't guess what the track plan looks like) which is actually a 4 platform Minories variant with no loco road - we are contemporary N here so it is all MU and double ended trains.

The layout will use 2mm Association Easitrac with copperclad points at 2mm gauge but set to accomodate N gauge wheelsets - a test piece has shown that this will work with current generation N RTR stock and will give nicer looking track without the necessity of re-wheeling.

Whilst I am at it I will throw in full automation with colour light signalling and hopefully one or two operating features.

As the station's long term destiny is to be an overgrown, oversceniced set of storage sidings I shall restrict it to the railway boundary in the time-honoured model railway style.

The general inspiration is Marylebone, especially as it will play host to my Wrexham & Shropshire set and the Chiltern Railways London-Birmingham service. I intend to base the station building and roof on the Scalescenes large station kit and have the concourse open to view from the sides.

The platforms will cope with two 3-car units although I only intend to operate single 3-car sets. This will give plenty of room for a full length W&SR set if Dapol release a suitable catering coach and a four-car excursion rake top and tailed with something suitable.

I've drawn it all out in Templot using B8 turnouts and it is looking good to go.:D

• RMweb Gold

The contractors are in and working on the station building. Based on the Scalescenes large station building doubled up to marry up to a pair of overall rooves. Here are the two rail side fontages (the road side won't be modelled for the Challenge) awaiting attention from the shopfitters.

post-2-12627811022507_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

post-2-12629408998945_thumb.jpg

As it was far too cold to go in the garage to work on Hatton Parkway last night I made some shop fittings for the WHS outlet.

Ian, the WHSmiths counter looks a bit bare, if your layout is to be present day, there should be JUST enough room to pass your money over, you'll need lottery card rolls dispensers etc on there too.

Good work there...

Penlan

• RMweb Gold

Ian, the WHSmiths counter looks a bit bare, if your layout is to be present day, there should be JUST enough room to pass your money over, you'll need lottery card rolls dispensers etc on there too.

Good work there...

Penlan

'Can I interest you in some half price sweets?'

'No thankyou'

Those bookshelves are great.

Nearly forgot, the track plan...

post-2-12625858880689_thumb.jpg

Nice and simple, I like it. :) What stock are you planning to run? N gauge is getting quite spoilt for choice with multiple units now. 150, 153, 156, 158, 170 and Voyagers. Not to mention the Meridians and 142s in the pipeline.

• RMweb Gold

cromptonnut - The shop fittings came from the Scalesecenes Corner Shop kit - the till is part of a chip shop cooker.

Karhedron - Chiltern 168/1, Wrexham & Shropshire 67/Mk.III/DVT formation and an excursion rake which could be anything.

Hatton is still suffering from sub-zero temperatures, so the first-fix electrics have been installed in half of the station building at London Minories.

post-2-12630391197547_thumb.jpg

post-2-12630391377765_thumb.jpg

cromptonnut - The shop fittings came from the Scalesecenes Corner Shop kit - the till is part of a chip shop cooker.

Karhedron - Chiltern 168/1, Wrexham & Shropshire 67/Mk.III/DVT formation and an excursion rake which could be anything.

Hatton is still suffering from sub-zero temperatures, so the first-fix electrics have been installed in half of the station building at London Minories.

I find I am quite concerned in these days of health & safety and the alarming angle of your fire exit sign Mr Morton, please don't tell me the eyesight is going as well!

• RMweb Gold

I find I am quite concerned in these days of health & safety and the alarming angle of your fire exit sign Mr Morton, please don't tell me the eyesight is going as well!

Nothing wrong with the eyesight Kev, just replicating the high-quality artisan standards of the average contractor.rolleyes.gif

(Ducks to avoid incoming)

• RMweb Gold

Progress continues on the station building. Now that the two sections are joined together I know how wide to make the baseboard ( about 10").

post-2-12633649725582_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-2-12642689273422_thumb.jpg

I have been cutting out supports for the overall roof from 80 thou plastic card with the Scalescenes artwork welded on. Ten down, ten to go :icon_confused:

• RMweb Gold

Okay Ian, you are now responsible for me planning ANOTHER N gauge layout! I definately want to try my hand at a terminus now, having seen that!

David

You know it makes sense!:rolleyes:

looking at the last of your pictures I somehow immediately thought of Marylebone station! Might be the modest size of the buldings, the red brick and typically early-20th century style lintels from the scalescene kit, or maybe its the cl.168? Something def. makes me think Marylebone!

Will

• RMweb Gold
The layout will use 2mm Association Easitrac with copperclad points at 2mm gauge but set to accomodate N gauge wheelsets - a test piece has shown that this will work with current generation N RTR stock and will give nicer looking track without the necessity of re-wheeling.

This is something I hope you could expand on? there was similar style thread on the old forum.

The layout and plans look great also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-2-12654467490659_thumb.jpg

Whose bright idea was this. Escalators and stairs built from individual steps. And I've got another set to build for people going down.

Mutter, mutter.

This is something I hope you could expand on? there was similar style thread on the old forum.

Will do, when I get that far. There's a little bit here.

Something def. makes me think Marylebone!

Spot on Will, that's the inspiration so I must have got something right!

post-2-12654467490659_thumb.jpg

Whose bright idea was this. Escalators and stairs built from individual steps. And I've got another set to build for people going down.

Mutter, mutter.

Will do, when I get that far. There's a little bit here.

Spot on Will, that's the inspiration so I must have got something right!

You'll upset Mr Joyce by not buying his 'scators, you do realise that, don't you?

You'll be telling me they're in the wrong scale next!

Too large you'll say...

Archived