No.6 Twenty Ten

number6

I'm keen. A few ideas floating around.

Always liked the loco depot right outside London Bridge, Brighton side, in pre-group days that was squeezed underneath a signal box and between the running lines.

Although I don't own any I am wondering about something in 3mm/TT after being captivated by Peter Bossom's Whatlington at Uckfield [and all his previous layouts!].

Or perhaps a son of Southerham and doing a narrow gauge chalk pit line that could work at right angles to the big brother.

Finally, packing in as much as possible is what I enjoy most of all so I am also toying with doing an end of the Pullman Works at Preston Park [as a memorial] and the Cliftonville curve and tunnel.

I learnt such a lot in the previous challenge that its hard to resist trying some more stuff out this time.

best of luck to all!

Raphael

Couple of other ideas. The 5th anniversary thing is suddenly more interesting a hook than 2010. As well as including a nod toward or reference to parts of other layouts and models I would never have seen had it not been for RMWeb.

Mineral 5:

This is a mountains to sea homage to the Stealth Bomber and Dunbracken... two of my favourite narra gauge layouts.

4118860485_0c4eaf8228.jpg

Tidemills:

This I like this one a lot. Also an homage: to Sandshifters amazing Shifting Sands. None of that here though its all shingle and mud. A miniature railway runs to the beach from Tidemills Halt between Newhaven and Seaford. Fiddle Yard could also connect to the beach standard gauge line which would have to be filled with Grampus wagons. A siding or two - perhaps an EMU stabling road - adds interest. Oh, and its also in the shape of a number 5 [and if you squint a number6]. Its going to have to squeeze down in size from what I've drawn here but I don't think impossibly so.

4119633488_3f5565525c.jpg

4119633322_daedbfc3d8.jpg

The Maths

I reckon that the Five would take approx 9sqft or 1296sq inches. Leaving around 4sqft for fiddle yards and hidden areas. These can be very narrow boards that following the curves and not big flat spaces. The curve is a Hornby 2nd radius - 438mm or just over 17inches. Probably would be better if this was a more natural transition curve and not curves and straights. The number is no known typeface - maybe it ought to be a FuturaXtraBold 5 like the sort Andy uses for the banners etc?!

4120301654_10d9444107.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived