Jerusalem Works - Withdrawn

Pinkmouse

• RMweb Premium

Just outstanding, no other word for it.

Love the door; nice to see someone responding to JSW"s padlock challenge. I'll have to see what I can rustle up...

George

Thanks chaps. Still some more cobbles to do once the other shed is built, so that job's not over yet, but it does give me time to recuperate. ;)

I look forward to seeing what you can come up with George!

The observant amongst you will have noticed that the small shed has gone walkabout. I just wasn't happy with the felt roof, so it was ripped off, and I'm in the process of replacing it with corrugated asbestos -cut individual sheets from the Wills corrugated glazing pack. I've also been adding some more details to the office, a few more windows, and I'll finally sort out the vent louvres. Pics later.

Ta Jim

Well, as promised, a few pics of the shed renovations:

post-6908-12708938085_thumb.jpg

Old roof removed, and new windows fitted. Not sure whether to add lead flashing around them, I'd do it if I were fitting them in real life, but the pics I'm working from don't seem to have any fitted.

post-6908-127089392809_thumb.jpg

Here's the Yard Gaffer's desk, complete with a few box files and some loose notes he's working on.

post-6908-127089402357_thumb.jpg

The lockers for the yard crew, scratchbuilt in the end from plasticard and thick catering foil for the louvred doors, (punched out with the end of a jeweller's screwdriver). I'm looking for a picture of a suitable stove for brewing up on, vital!

post-6908-127089419941_thumb.jpg

Construction of the roof vent, more cut veneer with card spacers. This will be dressed up neatly with trim when finished.

post-6908-127089428308_thumb.jpg

And finally, the Wills roofing ready for cutting into individual sheets. I've painted it first to get a little variation in sheets when I install it, but it will be weathered further later on.

• RMweb Gold

This just keeps getting better. Where can I vote? smile.gif The stonework is really superb, and it all has a very convincing spacious look to it.

I wonder what those notes that the Yard Gaffer is "working on" are really about? Wouldn't have anything to do with horse racing, would it?

I wonder what those notes that the Yard Gaffer is "working on" are really about? Wouldn't have anything to do with horse racing, would it?

Ney lad, it's nowt to do wi' horses. Gaffer's a whippet man... ;)

The roofer has been cracking on with the new asbestos...

post-6908-127116322348_thumb.jpg

...but has just stopped for a teabreak on the new stove....

post-6908-127116343401_thumb.jpg

A little touching up of the paint needed later methinks. And just 'cos I like it, a gratuitous shot of the roof trusses.

post-6908-127116334564_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That's looking realy good. I like the height to the walls, and the way you've blended in the old rock with the newer wall at the end.

The broad gauge track looks good too rolleyes.gif

Stu

Thanks Stu, praise indeed from the master of the tiny layout! :)

post-6908-127117288444_thumb.jpg

Right, one side of the roof is done, and I've added some lead flashing to the apex of the clerestory. This is made from aluminium glazing tape, cut into strips, and teased into shape with the end of a cocktail stick.

post-6908-12711729124_thumb.jpg

Just have to wait for the glue to dry off and I'll move onto the other side. Might make up some doors while I'm waiting.

Thanks Stu, praise indeed from the master of the tiny layout! :)

post-6908-127117288444_thumb.jpg

Right, one side of the roof is done, and I've added some lead flashing to the apex of the clerestory. This is made from aluminium glazing tape, cut into strips, and teased into shape with the end of a cocktail stick.

post-6908-12711729124_thumb.jpg

Just have to wait for the glue to dry off and I'll move onto the other side. Might make up some doors while I'm waiting.

Al,

This is looking fantastic mate B)

So much attention to detail in such a confined space.

Particularly love the stone walling.

Save some creativity for Eridge ;)

Mark

Ney lad, it's nowt to do wi' horses. Gaffer's a whippet man... ;)

post-6908-127116343401_thumb.jpg

No sign of the whippet

But is that evidence that its been there previously,on the floor beside the stove, to the left ....looks suspiciously like a dogs rag toy!!! <_<

Mark

• 5 months later...

Sorry folks, but due to very little progress in the last six months I'm withdrawing Jerusalem Works from the challenge. The layout will be finished eventually, but due to personal circumstances, not in time for the deadline. Fact is, I do this for fun and I want it to look the best it can when finished, and frankly, artistic inspiration has been at a low ebb recently, and I really don't want to do a half-a***d rush job that I'll regret every time I look at it. However, I will, (eventually) carry on, and any updates will be posted here. Good luck to the remaining competitors! :)

I'm sure they will, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the country suffering from lack of work and money ATM. Strange how it effects everything though, I've not been able to give Eridge the attention it deserves either, and as for other hobbies, I haven't picked up the guitar in months, I have a big pile of unfinished power amps for yet uncompleted active speakers I'm building, social life has gone downhill, but hey, I'm still alive, fit, and have a roof over my head, (though I do have to go chase up the council about my housing benefit today!). ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, a pity but very understandable. Even in it's current condition I'd say it was a serious contender, but I know what you mean about wanting to finish it off in your own time.

Glad to hear you'll keep working on it, and looking forward to follow future progress. I hope you'll feel the energy to pick up the guitar soon, too. :)

• 3 years later...

Archived