Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/02/2022 at 20:05, The Johnster said:

One of my 1970s Canton bottom guard's link workings was a Radyr-Pensnett, originating from Abercwmboi. with these big hoppers, a class 8 train which I worked from Radyr to Gloucester for relief after secondmanning the loco off shed.  Stationmaster Mike will probably be able to furnish the headcode, loco was a 45 or 47, about half 3 or so off Radyr.  They were certainly impressive beasties, more so when you were walking down the long curved canyon between them and a rake of 21ton coal hoppers on the next road at Radyr to examine your train...  Going the other way, I remember the very impressive boom of doom noise they made over rail joints, but we had no booked working of the empties at Canton.

A bit late to the party.

Abercwmboi produced a smokeless fuel known as 'Phurnacite'.

Messrs Lunt, Comley & Pitt had a facility at Pensnett which was for the receiving and distribution of foundry coke (not smokeless fuel).

The foundry coke was transported in BR 20ton Coke Hoppers built to Dia. 1/152 (the type with solid steel sides, and no wooden coke raves) - those wagons allocated to the 'Pensnett' circuit had modified discharge chutes, and were branded 'Pensnett' on the wagon sides.

The 'Pensnett' traffic originated either at Radyr (coke from Nantgarw), or Llantrisant (coke from Cwm or Coed Ely) on an as required basis, and was for several years a Cl.35 'Hymek' diagram.

In 1971 / 1972 the train ran as; 8M64 20:06 Llantrisant - Kingswinford and 6V55 02:40 Kingswinford - Llantrisant. 

• Informative/Useful 5

• 1 month later...

I’ll just drop a couple of pictures of my current work in progress, reworking my 10’ wb Horwich rebuilds. I originally built them in the 80s from Mainline mineral wagons but didn’t upgrade the chassis.

B4F9018D-FBFA-44EB-A924-D3F66E4B790E.jpeg

587B6D3D-BC74-4E21-BF90-EB2A6D7F3115.jpeg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Something you had to keep an eye out for while walking around yards and riding on loco or shunting chariot steps.  Shunters would know the clearing points of each of the roads in their yards, and were able to use the knowledge to get an extra wagon in to cope with traffic, with this result.  Nowt wrong with it, but perhaps not best practice; you might be undone by buffers decompressing when you release the brakes, and pushing the end wagon out foul of the next road.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Something you had to keep an eye out for while walking around yards and riding on loco or shunting chariot steps.  Shunters would know the clearing points of each of the roads in their yards, and were able to use the knowledge to get an extra wagon in to cope with traffic, with this result.  Nowt wrong with it, but perhaps not best practice; you might be undone by buffers decompressing when you release the brakes, and pushing the end wagon out foul of the next road.

Something I learnt with childhood layouts, cram another wagon on a siding by pushing all the coupling together  only to find they creep

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, locomad2 said:

Something I learnt with childhood layouts, cram another wagon on a siding by pushing all the coupling together  only to find they creep

Sidings can never be too long...

And double ended ones are subject to vehicles shunted into the stored stock at the other end, not to mention that empty minerals, especially high sided hoppers, are prone to being shifted about by strong winds, and usually only the first couple have the brakes pinned down to hold them in place.  What was safe when the brakes were pinned might not be a few hours later when the wind gets up!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Useful to remind us that mineral wagons were once new, and didn't always have the appearance of being sent through a giant cement mixer. 

Paul

Despite what quite a few modellers seem to believe, regardless of era.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

One would certainly expect to see one or two fairly clean new ones in any longish train during the construction period, say late 40s to mid 60s, and an occasional recently repainted one for the following 20 years or so.  Unfitted examples tended to be very rusty towards the end of their lives, but otherwise a full train would display them in a full range of conditions.  They were not well cared for in general, but the sheer number of them and the extended period over which they were built meant that recently built or repainted examples were easy to find.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2