Hafod Las Mk.II

Beardybloke

I've made the (hopefully sensible) decision to have a brief break from the construction of Blanche until I'm rather less frustrated. The upshot of this, however, is that some progress has been made on Hafod Las.

post-6718-127239111788_thumb.jpg

The wiring is almost completed - the only thing left to do is to attach the point polarity microswitches and wire them up... and at the same time to touch a couple of wire joints with solder. The extremely slapdash mounts for the microswitches can be seen next to the solenoids - they consist simply of a piece of wood and a cardboard spacer attached to the board with wood glue. The microswitches will soon be attached in the same fashion, and some test running will take place. Then all I need to do is to figure out where to put the magnets for the MSE couplings for it to be functionally complete... Oh, and build the traverser!

post-6718-127239111193_thumb.jpg

post-6718-127239112091_thumb.jpg

The control panel is functionally wired up, all vaguely colour-coded and labelled (red is the positive feed to section switches, and then either to the indicating LEDs or to the track itself, the green is paired feeds to point solenoids (hence being twisted) and the solitary sliver of orange wending its way through the panel is the feed from the CDU output - the return and the inputs are kept with the CDU under the board itself - to save having far more wires than necessary going to the panel (as there are already rather a lot!) Sides, ends and a base to the panel will follow in good time, as will actually wiring up the LEDs.

The latter are being left unconnected as I did have a nice simple plan for them when I was working on the idea of separate polarity switches for the points (hence the incredibly long green wires from the frogs in the original 'spaghetti' photo of the wiring) and now I have to figure out a simplish way of indicating the route set. A transistor or bistable circuit would seem to offer the simplest solution, apart from the fact that until the passing contact switch is thrown one way or the other after turning the power on, a false indication may be given. Add to that the fact that unless the controller has a decent voltage on it, they won't light up anyway...

Ah well, it seemed like a good idea at the time! I'll just pretend that I'm not an electronic engineer for a while :blush:

Archived