Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Premium

its a strip of Evergreen 100 0.25mm x 0.5mm plasticard strip glued on one side, left to set then bent round and glued on the other, then when it set I trimmed the ends and smothed the glue off the monitor - all done with contacta polystyrene cement... if that makes sense

Simon

Well that was incredibly fast Bob! Now I've never looked into this 3D printing thing, how do you go about getting them?

While thinking about station monitors, I've had a very tiring but productive day getting all the 'boring' bits of the layout construction out of the way. Today's successes include:

• Attaching the plywood sides to the layout (I had forgotten how exhausting sawing wood is!)
  • Attaching the backscene plates (blank at present)
  • Wiring the final point motor
  • Stress testing the electrical connections (shaking the layout and moving it about from room to room to find dodgy connections)
  • Building the first section of viaduct wall - very repetitive work, but quite pleased with the outcome

Here is a quick snap showing how the wall will look when in place (resting temporarily for the moment):

post-6666-0-40093300-1315327988_thumb.jpg

Next task on the list is to produce the final road surfaces and cut around the tram rails, build the curbs, paint the rough ground to the front of the layout, and then find a suitable bridge side before I can attach the viaduct walls.

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, a bit of belated progress today. I've been ill with a really nasty stomach/migraine thing for the past week or so, and have had plenty of time to sit and think about modelling, but no energy to actually do any until now.

Progress today has included:

*Final road surfaces cut around tram lines and glued down

*First stretches of pavement installed along the main road

*Viaduct and half-relief viaduct fronts built and glued into place

I'm starting to reconsider the large converted warehouse at the front of the layout - it is very tightly spaced and might be a little too big. If so, I will move this behind and have a smaller building in its place.

I've also completely designed, and sent for printing, the bespoke backscene. This time the main images are taken from panoramas of Salford (so in keeping with this "not-Manchester" location of the layout!), with additions suitably added to match the layout design, and the complicated method of blending images where the roads on the board meet the backscene. You can see an example of one (in mock up form) through the viaduct arches.

Once the backscene is in place, I am going to make a start on the ground work and details around the dual carriageway on the left hand side. I need to build the missing building to go in the corner, but then it is down to the enjoyable job of adding foliage, grass, signs, fences etc.

I am not 100% decided yet, but I have pretty much come round to the idea of recycling Ring Road into Cross Street. Almost all the scenic details (and possibly even a building or two) can be used on the new layout, though the main reason for contemplating its destruction is simply that I can't really contain 2 layouts (certainly not with one as large as RR) at home, and I just can't bring myself to part with it by selling it, so recycling seems a good option.

If I do so, it will certainly save me about £200 for all the scenic details I'd need to get from Japan etc - road fencing, cars, lorries and so on.

Either way, next job is to complete the viaduct sides, add the bridge on the right hand side, the backscene when it arrives, and then make a start on the track detail and OHLE.

David

post-6666-0-06336400-1316356098_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-59959200-1316356107_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-20693500-1316356087_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is a great layout its also got me excited because i have a baseboard the same size which is going to be an N gauge layout. The simplicity of the layout is great but its very realistic with the depth of the buildings. I like the addition of the tram too i think that is another detail that brings the layout to life. Excellent work :yahoo_mini:

Simon

Thanks guys!

Ben, the printed backscene I've designed is being printed onto two sheets of giant photographic paper (and only costing £38 including packaging and delivery), which has a thickness similar to light card. I've not had a feel of the propriety stuff you can buy, but I suspect its on much thinner, normal paper. On Ring Road I simply used UHU glue, and it went on with no problems at all.

The paper is excellent quality - its 'estimated' that on display in normal lighting, the colours stay fast for about 15 years, in storage, lasts up to 30.

Here's the 2 designs, you can see where I've added the extra roads to match the layout (there's a duplicate of 2 roads visible that doesn't make sense, but its to be completely hidden behind a building so I left it), and added/altered the heights of buildings to the right

post-6666-0-03792300-1316364697_thumb.jpg

Ring Road update - I have decided that recycling will be done this week. I have no sadness around this at all actually, loved building the layout, and showing it, but Cross Street is already stretching my skills even further, and its a layout I can actually run whenever I want. I think about 80% of the scenics off Ring Road will be used on Cross Street.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The printed backscene I've designed is being printed onto two sheets of giant photographic paper (and only costing £38 including packaging and delivery), which has a thickness similar to light card. I've not had a feel of the propriety stuff you can buy, but I suspect its on much thinner, normal paper. On Ring Road I simply used UHU glue, and it went on with no problems at all.

The iD backscenes are on thick paper rather than photo paper. Where are you getting them printed, David? Once the backescenes are up it will really start to look good.

Edited by ian

Ring Road update - I have decided that recycling will be done this week. I have no sadness around this at all actually, loved building the layout, and showing it, but Cross Street is already stretching my skills even further, and its a layout I can actually run whenever I want. I think about 80% of the scenics off Ring Road will be used on Cross Street.

David

NOOOOOOOOOOO You can't dismantle Ring Road :cry: :cry:

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Gold

New layout is coming along very nicely :) how much are you recycling off Ring Road? Is it buildings etc in which case I see the reason. I would have thought if it's commercial parts though you'd get more from selling the layout.

I have been watching this topic with interest. Cross Street is looking great! Keep up the good work!

Shame Ring Road has to go, I have always liked that layout. But hey ho, at least many bits will be recycled onto Cross Street!

Heinz

Edited by Heinz57

Thanks guys.

Paul, having stripped the layout down this week, the only things NOT being recycled are the baseboards themselves, track on the scenic side, the embankment formation, and the tram line.

I now have a dream 'bits box' filled with lineside details, street lamps, signs, fences, shopping trolleys, people, cars, OHLE and signal gantries, as well as trees and bushes. I may have to run a competition to see who can spot which details are from Ring Road ;)

The (stunning) backscene prints have arrived today, and the quality is astounding - far better than the print quality I had on Ring Road. Matt finish, extremely clear printing, and excellent colour matching. Very happy with these! On my day off on Thursday I will be adding these, and progressing rapidly with the far left side of the layout, so I hope to be posting some images showing a dramatic leap forward in the layout.

David

I do all my graphics work in Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 (used to be called paintshop pro in earlier versions) - basically a cheaper version of photoshop, I've been using them for about 10 years. Very pleased with the effect, it only took a couple of hours to work up the two sheets from multiple images (must have been 11 or 12 I think) and it means (hopefully, and I will find this out on Thursday!) you can get the backscene to match the position of your roads. And it all started, as with Ring Road's backscene, with the brooding sky download from Scalescenes, which adds such drama to the scene.

David

A busy couple of hours this morning, and the layout has really moved forward. Still a lot yet to do in these scenes (particularly on the track and OHLE), but the 'landscape' is essentially complete in this small area.

I am over the moon about the backscene, it really brings drama to the layout, and looks so much better than a generic 'urban' or standard blue sky sheet. I am also 100% convinced recycling Ring Road into this layout was the right decision - my modelling skills have definitely jumped forward now, and the ton of scenic detailing now sat in my bits box means progress on Cross Street has suddenly sped up.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with how this has small section has come out, so on to the photos...

post-6666-0-93976900-1316697245_thumb.jpg

The block of modernised flats and completed dual carriageway. Once the OHLE gantries are on the viaduct, a 350 passing through this scene will make for a great shot. Apart from new road signs, all other details are from Ring Road

post-6666-0-34625000-1316697300_thumb.jpg

The backscene really helps give some depth to the layout, and adds to the suggestion that there is a huge city centre 'just over there'...

post-6666-0-90297600-1316697371_thumb.jpg

The Museum of Industry! I hadn't decided what sort of building I wanted in the corner - it was going to be pretty visible, so needed to be something eye-catching. On one of my many google 'walks' around the streets of Manchester, looking for inspirational buildings, I came across MOSI, and the tall arched frontage became my basis for the museum. Traffic lights and bollards are new, the fences, people and cars are all from Ring Road.

post-6666-0-84605000-1316697166_thumb.jpg

Here's an overall view of the left hand end of the layout. As far as the scenery goes, I am basically now sweeping from left to right, constructing each building at a time, and detailing roads etc as I go. I will probably do the next building (to go behind the Asda lorry), then switch to track details - I want to get the lineside down, OHLE masts up, and have a go at the signals, before tackling the station platform details and canopy.

It might look like I have done a lot, but this is about 1/8th of the ground work, 5 out of 13 buildings constructed, and with all the station/track work to do, there's a long way to go yet, but I am pretty pleased with how it is going so far.

David

• Like 3

Wow, that last post worth of photos was just superb.

If you ever get a chance you might like to try and use weathering powders onto your paper structures. It does work quite nicely and just takes the edge off the printed brick colour and overall uniform tone of the brickwork.

I tend to brush blacks and browns into corners and crevices.

Worth practising first before you ruin any of these superb structures you've made. They really are superb.