Thanks James.

(you may have just saved me £12 lol) Same one as I was looking at though I was going to buy another, finer airbrush to go with it as well as cleaning accessories etc.

I know these are seemingly budget products, but they do seem to have plenty of happy users, including many of the forum members. The best bit is I'm not paying (belated birthday prezzie from the rents) but I still want to make sure I get the right thing, and also have all the support equipment to look after it!

Fingers crossed I can order one this week though. My track could do with some weathering :D

Regards

Lee :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee

My airbrush is a fairly standard Badger and the tip is just a medium tip. I have never felt that I needed finer, but when I have larger areas to cover I have been glad that it is not fine!

TBH in my experience the major factor, apart from paint thickness, is finding a way to hold your models (I use bits of dowel wth bluetack on, that fit into holes in a wooden plank for drying.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Mr - love the building! what are you going to use for the window frames?

Simon

PS. Very jealous that your dog lets you stand around taking photos of trains... mine keeps on walking :(

Hi Lee

My airbrush is a fairly standard Badger and the tip is just a medium tip. I have never felt that I needed finer, but when I have larger areas to cover I have been glad that it is not fine!

TBH in my experience the major factor, apart from paint thickness, is finding a way to hold your models (I use bits of dowel wth bluetack on, that fit into holes in a wooden plank for drying.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks, I think I'm moving towards a simple kit with at reservoir tank. Get me started and room to expand. I guess it's not too hard to add brushes later, and it's not like I know what I'm doing yet anyway! LOL, I've aways pitted myself a against a tight learning curve!

On the leaf litter front, dried tea leaves work well and are free, plus you get a cuppa first.

Ummm, tea :D

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll start saving a couple of teabags up!

Looking good Mr - love the building! what are you going to use for the window frames?

Simon

PS. Very jealous that your dog lets you stand around taking photos of trains... mine keeps on walking :(

Thanks Simon. The building is certainly an improvement on the first attempt, though I realised how far from the "prototype" I'd strayed when I was browsing photos this morning. Totally wrong roof angle and haven't considered the chimneys....Still it was a basic frame to develope from :D

I've got a few Ratio accessories laying about, including window brass window frames. They are my first port of call. If they don't look right, well I've brought a ton of plastistrut in all manner of sizes...Perhaps I can prefab window frames from scratch. (Here's hoping the brass ones work out!!!!)

The pup loves the trains. Trains mean two things to her. One is that people in orange clothes are likely to be seen and they always stop and fuss her. Two, it means the cow field, and when there are no cows, she gets to come off the lead in the 'paddock'. My other half isn't so keen on the daily trek through the fields mind....I think she has twigged onto my alterior motives :P

Regards

Hey

Just a quick thanks for all the airbrush/compressor advice I've recieved here over the last week or so.

Made my order yesterday so hopefully will all arrive early next week! I've gone for a compressor with a tank and a couple of simple double action airbrushes as well as some additional cleaning tools....I figure I can add to it rather easily, and the compressor should never be outgrown while I'm modelling in N gauge :D

They took apart a large server cabinet at work the other day and asked me to deal with it's disposal. It had a large independant quadrupal fan cooling unit on it, so I'll be asking them nicely if I can filtch it, and looking to make a spray booth.

Otherwise looking forward to getting on with the layout today and hopefully another day of doing a little bit of everything :D

Thanks for reading!

The other thing that works well for extractors is cooker hoods, particularly the older flat ones, some also have lights. I used one for my big car spray booth for a while.

Thanks for suggestion...shame I threw an old one out last year, but oh well. It might be worth keeping me eyes open when visit the tip with the contents of my garage in the next couple of weeks :P

This is coming together very well, layer by layer. It's going to look great - breaking up the flat areas is key and you're doing that very nicely. Well done!

That's for the kind comments :D It's quite hard to judge how to best break up the spaces, especially as the scenic side of things was poorly planned. Bit by bit seems to be paying off though I'm still putting off the far end while I try and decide how best to scape it.

The airbrush kit arrived and now it's just a case of waiting until payday next week to order a load of paint n thinners etc! The layout has a visitor in just under two weeks time so a big push will hopefully happen soon :D

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

I know it's been a long time (for me at least) since I posted an update. The truth is that very little has progressed. I've added a couple of trees and a bit more static grass, as well as a couple of small details, but essentially I've gone to real work instead.

Today, I had a visitor in the form of Jonas and his rather impressive engineers train! Plans had been made to do a load of weathering, however a stupid company ruined that when the paints I ordered arrived just in the nick of time, only to be completely the wrong ones :(

Still, a base coat was achieved for my building, and steve set to work on the class 37. In no particular order here is a bunch of photos from today's running!

2012-03-08190217.jpg

2012-03-08164707.jpg

2012-03-08164637.jpg

2012-03-08164412.jpg

2012-03-08164113.jpg

2012-03-08164052.jpg

2012-03-08164036.jpg

2012-03-08163844.jpg

2012-03-08163641.jpg

2012-03-08163557.jpg

2012-03-08163452.jpg

2012-03-08163409.jpg

2012-03-08162635.jpg

2012-03-08162612.jpg

2012-03-08123951.jpg

2012-03-08123853.jpg

2012-03-08123841.jpg

2012-03-08123821.jpg

2012-03-08123700.jpg

2012-03-08123509.jpg

2012-03-08123418.jpg

Big thanks to Steve for the 37 weathering and the visiting 08 and engineers train! It was good fun to see trains at work on the layout too :D

Fingers crossed the correct paints shall arrive soon and I might just be able to get on with some decent progress soon!

Regards

Hi Lee,

Some nice pics, looks like you had fun playing trains. I do like those Dogfish wagons and the weathering on the class 37 looks great. It's a shame about the big couplers though. Is there a finer scale coupler available?

Cheers Peter.

It was only after viewing the pictures we realised the very least we could've done was take the coupling from the front of the 37...!

Many thanks for the hospitality Lee, and the layout looks even better in the flesh than the pictures. Just don't let me drive next time (derailments a speciality!)...

All those blue diesels! Looks very good Mr :D

Simon

Thanks Simon! A long way to go yet, and it will certainly enhance the scene once all the diesels become DIRTY blue :D

Hi Lee,

Some nice pics, looks like you had fun playing trains. I do like those Dogfish wagons and the weathering on the class 37 looks great. It's a shame about the big couplers though. Is there a finer scale coupler available?

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. It was certainly fun to get the yard filled up with stock, and I think Steve had a great time behind the controls :P (Will it be enough to get his to start one of his own I wonder!)

I think I may have to get a rake of Dogfish now, and Steve is a bit of a weathering king! Hence him having his paints to hand in case he'd brought a wagon on our model shop trip. (A clean wagon would have been a crime afterall!)

As for couplings, that's one thing that doen't shrink with the rest of the detail :( The Dapol magnetic couplers are far better than the standard rapidos but still upset the front of the loco's looks. If I wasn't modelling an end to end layout, I would be seriously tempted to do away with the couplings and detail the fronts properly. Alas, not this time round.

It was only after viewing the pictures we realised the very least we could've done was take the coupling from the front of the 37...!

Many thanks for the hospitality Lee, and the layout looks even better in the flesh than the pictures. Just don't let me drive next time (derailments a speciality!)...

Thank's Steve. Next time we will have to be more careful with the couplers! The 08 looks stonking from the Cab end with all it's detail. You'll have to get over to this part of the country more often!

It's a shame a certain company botched the paint order for the weathering. It's tuned up today with a note asking if a particular paint was in a package.....MUPPETS!! they haven't specified which package and I gave them a list of what was in it yesterday...They packed it afterall! Still, I can get on playing with the airbrush now!

As for the layout, I'm having a bit of a mind blank for my carpark area (in front of the big building) Funnily enough the carparks of rural termini tend not to feature in many photographs, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to form it. should I use gravel or a tarmac representative?? The other end of the layout is also a complete blank atm, though I mostly plan to ignore this until someone runs a batch of etched fencing of a particular style. (everyone seems to be out of stock atm!) Signalling is another hard choice as well. There's the Dapol semaphores on the way or do I go to Absolute Aspects for a 3 aspect colour light signal. oh choices choices! :D

Any suggestions on any of the above much appreciated!

For the time being, I'm going to focus on the buildings and some weathering, while eagarly awaiting for Dapol to release it's NEM pocket kit so I can finally complete my coupling conversion!

Thanks for reading!

Nice to see the update with trains running.

Thank's Stephen. Guess that's what it's all about at the end of the day :D

TIme is against me this weekend so when SWIMBO popped out, I made a mad dash for the airbrush. I've learnt a few things (code for I've made some mistakes!) The test subject again was my large building, so a bit of toning down was the intention.

2012-03-10141819.jpg

2012-03-10141834.jpg

Nothing perfect. In fact for some silly reason I took the airbrush apart before I started and failed to do it up tightly enough so I lost a little control on the paint flow. Still, I'm happy the building isn't bright red now and I think although it'll take some time, I'll get a better grasp on the idea of layering the colours. I think the building just needs to be lightened a little now, then I can clean up the accidents and add the last few details to finish it.

Sorry there's not much of an update but hopefully next week will be more productive :D

Regards

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

Good to see you've christened the air-brush!

I've not used mine much yet, mainly due to fear, its a good idea to practice on something like the warehouse before you set it loose on more expensive things. In the first picture you can definitely pick out the differences in shade on the corrugated bits. As with many things in this hobby I think 'less is more' is a good mantra - its always tempting to play (or spray!) a little more when you've already cracked it.

Some nice pictures from your running session too - bluetastic! That last picture really shows up the sense of space you have with this layout.

Cheers,

James

Thanks for the kind comments James.

The idea of merely putting paint to a loco has scared me since Day one of the suggestion and I've been painting things for years. I've never had any experience with an airbrush though so that idea was totally off the cards until I found myself with a load of frame dirt mixed up LOL.

Steve did a stonking job weathering my class 37 the other day, but the fact it had already been weathered made it an easier choice to recieve my first airbrush attack :P

2012-03-11194139.jpg

2012-03-11194148.jpg

2012-03-11194155.jpg

The Seacows got a go first, though their base colour doesn't really help the dirt show up. These need some serious re-working I think, but hey, they were just the unlucky wagons I picked up first :P

2012-03-11194101.jpg

2012-03-11194118.jpg

2012-03-11194046.jpg

The 37 was also unlucky enough to be at hand. I just wanted to break my fear of working on a loco, and I thought a very fine muddy spray along the base would just add a bit to Steve's oil and smoke residues from Thursday.

I didn't think this went too badly tbf. Still a lot to learn about airbrushes and paint though!

2012-03-11194241.jpg

Comments / suggestions most welcome :)

Regards

Lee :D

with regards to the car park area:

from my experiences, not at termini but of station and even small village car parks that have not had much money spent on them are that they have, at some point, been surfaced, but not for a few decades, a bit of the surface has worn away showing the cobbles or even the base of dirt under the applied surface with lots of pot holes and puddles that require you to both drive at 5mph and pick your route carefully to avoid grounding the car!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi James.

Im afraid its sad news for this layout :( It took a fatal blow while I was having work done in the house, and thats one of the reasons I've been away...That and starting my pilot's licence.

I have new plans (bigger and better of course). Sticking with BR Blue and North Wales, but going up the mainline. Theres a link to my new layout blog in my sig if it takes your fancy.

Hare's run was a massive learning curve so I hope that although the layout is no more, I'll be up to my new challenge! Plenty of scratch building, and open space to enjoy the locos going by! Just need to get a few more weathering lessons in from my good friend Steve!

Regards

Lee

Archived