Hi all.

Today, I've been practicing and playing about with the track & ballast effects I want to put onto the layout.

A few pics first

2011-07-21211808.jpg

2011-07-21211853.jpg

2011-07-21211918.jpg

I've started by simply spraying the track and ballasting in the ususal fasion. I've then use GW washes on the sleepers, though I think this has made them more brown than possibly wanted. The oil patch though, I think works rather well! I don't normally pay much attention to the track, though I want to do more to add realism this time round. Any suggestions/improvements would be welcome!

I'm debating if its worth painting the rail chairs or if this might just make the whole thing stand out too much?

Onto the platform painting for now. Thanks for looking.

Regards

Lee :)

Stevo, thanks your advice to use wet n dry paper for the platform surface really looks the part!

2011-07-22141435.jpg

2011-07-22141651.jpg

Of course, I probably wont get to finish this as I'm running out of scalpel blades!

Regards

Hi Lee,

Just been catching up on your thread. It's looking good I like the platforms, the ballasting looks pretty good though the ballast loooks a tad on the large size is it the woodlands N gauge stuff?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comments. I used to use N gauge ballast on my 00 layout. I think this is Peco ballast, though its in an unmarked sealed bag from years ago, so I'm not sure. I need to buy ballast before I can start on the main layout. Can anyone recommend the best stuff for N?

Thanks

Hi all.

Today, I've been practicing and playing about with the track & ballast effects I want to put onto the layout.

A few pics first

2011-07-21211808.jpg

2011-07-21211853.jpg

2011-07-21211918.jpg

I've started by simply spraying the track and ballasting in the ususal fasion. I've then use GW washes on the sleepers, though I think this has made them more brown than possibly wanted. The oil patch though, I think works rather well! I don't normally pay much attention to the track, though I want to do more to add realism this time round. Any suggestions/improvements would be welcome!

I'm debating if its worth painting the rail chairs or if this might just make the whole thing stand out too much?

Onto the platform painting for now. Thanks for looking.

Regards

One observation I'd make is that you've used quite chunky ballast by the looks of things, I'd consider trying something a lot finer than that to my eye anyway.

I reckon you could get something much finer.

Good idea to try it on the plank first!!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

A google search for suggestions seems to turn up Woodland Scenics - fine as a popular choice....frustratingly, there are few pics of this product down with the tracks! Has anybody used this product before? would you suggest this is a better ballast form, or suggest a different brand for N ?

Managed to finally getthe full platform covered with wet n dry paper. deffinatly looks better than just painting it! I'll need to top up my scalpel blade supply mind! took three to cut one sheet into the lengths for the platorm!

Thanks again,

Hi Lee

I have used the WS fine ballast before and I used a mix of 50% Grey blend and 50% Brown. You will probably notice straight away how much smaller the 'granules' of ballast are - here's a pic of how that turned out (ignore the loco):

post-4186-0-66259300-1311361923_thumb.jpg

If you want to try some of this I have several tubs of brown and sevral of grey blend (all un mixed) spare that I am never going to use. Drop me a PM and I can send a container of each to you if you wish.

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Sorry, its been a bit slow this week. The good weather has pulled me out on the bike and of course the camera! I've managed to get to the model shop this week mind, Aside the mandatory agon purchase, I've got a few bits to start detailing the scenery around the rails this week.

Mostly, I'm trying to plan all the things that should be done before ballasting, so the cable trenches and signals are on the agenda! I've also decided on a rough location for my layout! I've decided to place it somewhere in the depths of North Wales. I thought it would help me design and choose the scenery for my layout, and with Steve's help, I've been browsing a rather helpful site and gather ideas for running trains. I may have to get my hands on a class 24 in the new future ;)

I'm no expert with signalling, so I was wondering if anybody could help me!? Can anybody advise me what signals would be required?

signalquestion.jpg

Skill dependant, I'm intending to use working led signals. I have a couple of kits to test from NBrass that I got last year at Warley. Any help most appreciated with type/location.

Right, back to the grind...Lawn needs cutting!

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

I have used and been impressed with Green Scene ballast. The light grey colour (Code number 408) looks particularly good IMO - although the particles are mainly grey there is some variation in colour with browns and rust colours too, which gives a realistic appearance.

It's about halfway down the page: http://www.green-scene.co.uk/products.htm

cheers

Ben A.

Hey thanks for the interest Dom! I'll need to get me head down over the next week and get some work done before I have to go and do some real world work!

Ben, thanks for the info. It's about time I make my decisions regarding ballast, although I still need to get the details around the track finished first mind!

Thanks again to the chaps over at the signalling part of the forum for their help today! I'll be sure to start making the signal kits soon!

I've made a temproy station from a kit i brougth the other day. I can quite honestly say its the worst model kit I've brought in my life! missing parts, voids in the moulded plastic, barely any parts fit properly, and the thought process into designing the moulds has left sprue marks on the model face when they could have easily linked to less obvious areas on the pieces. Needless to say, It's not worth a photo! Thankfully it is only a stopgap building while I get around to scratch building something proper.

I'm very keen to get a ballast train sorted for the layout so when I'm next graced with a paycheque, a couple more sealions and a shark are high on the order list. I should think I'll spend tomorrow weathering the two hoppers I've already got :)

Proper update soon!

Regards

Hey all

Well I was hoping to have got a bit further by today. After spending 45 minutes meticulously brushing around woodland scenics ballast into a piece of track, I totally screwed it up when I tried to add the pva/water mix to adhere it. Prob too much glue as it just collected in globs and picked up all the ballast. This would have been a major fail if it hadn't been on a test piece.....What ya know, I've learnt something over the years!

With that minor disaster averted, I'll try again tomorrow. However, from one disaster to another!

2011-08-05151628.jpg

This won't be my crowning achievement any time soon! Thankfully, it's my first ever attempt at brass work and is also a test. I have a list of tools I may need to consider having to hand for the next attempt, and towards the end, I realised the benefit od the maginfying glass on the holder! Amazingly, despite all that rough soldering, it does actually work, and I will have a go at painting it, just to see how bad it really is! I have another one t build over the weekend for a bit more practice. Having built them though, I'm not so sure the site will warrent a 3 aspect signal, and - if any - would more likely be a 2 aspect. (please correct me if I'm wrong!) The more practice, the better I guess!

Onto something slightly more sucessful, I've done a bit of weathering this week too.

2011-08-05175252.jpg

2011-08-05175452.jpg

This VGA has seen a couple of washes from the GW range and some drybrushing on the ends. I think it might see a couple more yet, and probably needs a bit of grime on the ends to finish it off. I Changed the couplings to the shorter shanks - as supplied with the wagon. They were a nightmare to change and I've gone and lost the spring for one of the ends too. It landed on the dog as she was under my feet and was swiftly carried away when I tried to retrieve it!

2011-08-05175323.jpg

2011-08-05175431.jpg

I've also started on the first sealion wagon. (I've included the second as a comparison)

Again mostly just washes applied. Particularly like the rusting effects on the white rails. I've also darkened the bogies and painted the wheelsets, as the turned metal finish showed up quite a bit. Need a bit more work on the inside of the hopper. Might even start from scratch as I wasn't too pleased with it. Along with the second hopper, I have a brake van to start on next week and sometime this month need to get hold of a shark kit to build on my ballast train set.

The heat recently has had some adverse affects on the platform (house as a flat roof and lots of glass!) so some remedial work is urgently needed on that before I can start ballasting the main layout. Hopefully that will all get sorted next week!

Regards

Lee

Hey man,

Weathering is looking great - see, it's addictive! VGA sides are very effective. As for the inside of your sealions, the pics I have seen usually show a much more rust coloured shade - perhaps that's why you're not happy with them? As always, the best pics are on Paul Bartlett's site...http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion/h1f877a4b#h1f877a4b.

Keep posting those updates!

Steve

Thanks for the feedback steve

That link is one of the main pictures I was using for reference. By chance the wagon number on the model is 982637 so I guess a very close prototype if wagon numbering works in the same logical manner I have in my head LOL!

I'll try and rust up the inside a bit more. the cream finish on the wagon deffinatly isn't what I'd expect from a used wagon! I'll be re-attempting theballast as well today all being well!

regards

Lee

Some progress today experimenting with Ballast.

2011-08-06201949.jpg

This is just fine sand which was sprayed with the track and then painted....not the most effective method, but certainly probably the most time consuming.

2011-08-06201934.jpg

2011-08-06201908.jpg

2011-08-06202010.jpg

These three make use of woodland scenics fine ballast. It's about a 70-30 % mix of the grey and brown. I've also tried using a brown wash over half the ballast to see what it comes up like. As I'm hoping to capture a more run down yard, I'm quite tempted to use the darker finish in some areas certainly. I may retain the clean or cleaner ballast finish into the platforms!

I've also played with a bit of green scatter and static grass. Amazingly, over all the layouts and attempts I've made in the last 15 years, I've never really got as far as ground textures, or considering how they look alongside the ballast. Still got a bit of playing to figure out how to best get that "nearly-retired" look of the siding lines. Rediscovered some good pics of Colwyn Bay ard just before it closed on the net.

One last pic.

2011-08-06202437.jpg

I was looking for plastic strut to model the cable troughs for the side of my line. I was recommended 1.6mm however the local model shop didn't stock anything less than 2mm. On the WCML next to me, the troughs measure just over 12'' so I thought this might do. Ironically all the North Wales pics I've looked at, it seems to be narrower. I thought I'd put the strut by the track and compare it anyway.

Please let me know what you think to my tests so far!

Regards

Well, After trying to fix heat damage to my platform and subsequently making it worse, I turned my hand back to the ballast for a short while.

This is another tone on the ballast. A bit lighter than the previous. A bit of oily weathering also, again just washes. Probably needs couple more, though the gloss 'ard coat does give a decent wet finish.

2011-08-07155827.jpg

2011-08-07155846.jpg

Hopefully this week, I can get away from test pieces and start ballasting some real track! lol. For the time being, this is good practice I guess.

Regards

Lee

Hi,

The woodland scenic product is still large in scale, unlike the sand, which is probably closer the mark. I'm not sure if using sand for the ballast might just make the rest of the ground textures harder to achieve though?

I might still have a role for the sand in the ballast. Like you say, it would be good for yards, and looking at the second pic on this page, I think a sand base with a rough scattering of ballast would be perfect. (or so I'm hoping!)

I think a couple more tests using the sand might be in order. Including how it pre-colours before applying it to the layout (good job I have another few days to fill!)

Thanks for the feedback!

Lee,

Another fan of the sand here bud. Oil stains look great mind!

As for the yard picture you posted, could something like the ash after a bbq/fire be used to get a similar effect?

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Nice results with the test ballasting mate. Have you ever thought of using chinchilla dust instead of the usual scinic offerings. Of course you will need to colour it but thats why god gave us the guy who invented the airbrush. Its very fine sand and quite cheap. I have used it b4 but I don't have any pics.

Regards Lez.Z.

Hi Lez.

I've heard about using the dust before, and as it is, I keep Degu's. Annoyingly, they've been given the last of their dust it seems, so I'll have to go shopping :( As for airbrushes...Not so hot with them...I do need to get a better one and have a proper go really mind.

So the sand seems to be winning hands down atm.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee.

Your ballasting is looking good and the weathering fantastic. I personally think the picture with the "plastic" cable trunking in it looks the best. The cable trunking looks a bit overscale though.

I model in OO and have just started using n gauge ballast which to my eye, looks close to scale.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Andy

Thanks for the positive feedback! I like the possibility of contrast with the Woodland scenic ballast, even though its a little large for scale. The trunking is def out of scale for the area I'm modelling, from the pictures I've found so far. It is in scale with the local trunking, but I will be reverting to something a little more realistic when I next get to the model shop. It's going to me a monumental tast to ballast your layout Andy! But your right, N gauge ballast does work well for 00. It's what I used to always use.

Steve, thanks for the comments. I'm starting to think the sand may be too fine, but I will keep entertaining both media until I'm ready to lay the ballast. Then I'll have to make a decision! As for the ash idea, I just disposed of a massive ash pile. It might just work as you suggest, but I fear I'll be a mesy experiment!

For anybody looking to ballast in N gauge atm, I think this thread has some good ideas.

Regards

Lee

Archived