Progress today of a different kind!

2011-08-10164422.jpg

2011-08-10182800-1.jpg

2011-08-10182822-1.jpg

2011-08-10182840.jpg

2011-08-10164448.jpg

This shows the manual levers for the points. If the future bodes well for Hare's Run, I'll add a small desk section here and hook up point motors and swtiches to control the turnouts. (should have left those rods longer!)

For those of you thinking this is me putting off the decision regarding the ballast.....Correct! I'm hoping by getting the backdrops done, I can distract myself with some other features, while also keeping the sun off the scenery in the afternoons.

It also shows how there layout will be just over an inch wider all the way round.

While I continue to ponder the ballast, I'm hoping to get the platform glued down and then start adding/removing some of the contours to the site.

I'm after a just a plain blue background. Would people suggest just painting as is? Or suggest papering the panels? Or something totally diff?

Regards

Lee:)

It is silver sand from Jewson builders merchant, dried in the oven then put through a fine sieve. PM me if you want some, have about 10kg left!Track and boards look great! I still haven't ballasted Kingsbridge yard yet and track has been down 4 months.

Hi, My parents have a bit of a building project on at the moment, so I can nick some from their's, but thanks very much for the offer! I used a fine silver sand for my test piece but I thought the granules between the rails on your sample looked a little more course as opposed to the sand either side of your tracks. Is it just my eyes being slow, or have you used two different sands or is one more sieved than the other?

Now that is coming together nicely! Now let's see your first video of something running on this thread soon :-p

Thanks for the feedback steve! May have to get you to bring your weathered 08 n stock down for the first video! Some scenery n ballast wouldn't go amiss either! lol

Regards

Lee :)

Not much progress to report at the moment. Have been giving a lot of thought to the scenic side of the layout over the last couple of days, and while I choose the way to dress the back of the layout, I've started to build up a hill to the left side. The plan is that the scenic break will be a tunnel :)

2011-08-16193240.jpg

This is the only picture of note atm. I'm still debating if I should have light signals or semaphore. Will be putting a signal box between the tunnel mouth and the platform, although it may end up modelled as a closed box yet!

More soon :)

Lee

Really coming along nicely. I too use a test board for weathering of track and ballast, cheaper than messing up ones layout till you find what you like. In the picture above i see you too are messing with the backdrop, have you considered curving the corners?

Hi, thanks for the comments!

I will probably end up doing more test planks yet, but thingers crossed I can now get on with other things before then.

I wondered about curving the backdrops. My main concern is that unless it was a tight curve, I would get very close to the nd of the platform on the far end. I am probably going to settle for just painting the backdrop as opposed to using a photo scene etc, but I was wondering if I could use a thick paper to form curves across the corners?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Use flexible MDF, available in big DIY stores. Or aluminium sheet, from a metal factors,1mm thick should do, they can cut to size. Is pricey tho.

I would always curve the back scene if possible, it made a huge visual difference on my layout. Look at the way Chris Nevard did the back scene for Brewhouse Quay if you want a simple and highly effective paint technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

So I've been rather quiet for the last three weeks. It's been a rather busy time with general life getting in the way of anything layout related. Thankfully, the return to rails has been celebrated wit ha visit to the International N gauge show in Warwickshire today. A few goodies and a few more days before work hopefully returns, can now see me continue with Hare's run :D

So Firstly, a controller swap with my good friend Steve, now sees me with a DCC capacity. Naturally, this mean't I had to shop for chips today. Picked up three 6 pin chips from one of the stands, and have now got the rather difficult task of choosing which three locos get them!

Visits to the N guage society and the P&D Marsh stands has resulted in a couple of kits to get building, while seeing the new Dapol working semaphore signal has made my mind up on my signalling choice!!

Unfortunatly, my job hunt has taken a lot longer than hoped (although now thankfully resolved!), which has mean't Ebay got hold of some of my rolling stock recently :( Having said that, with me now having decided on a North Wales theme, my future rolling stock will be more focused on my scenario!

So onward and upward now! Should have some photo updates in the week and maybe even some DCC operating to report!

Regards

Lee :D

Hi All!

Time for a small report. I've chipped three of my locos in anticipation for DCC. With five machines to choose from, but only 3 chips, I took the easy route and chose the 24, 37 and 47.

2011-09-11111239.jpg

These three are plug-n-play in it's truest form! In fact, it took longer for me to chip my old 00 37 than these three combined!!! Thanks to the guitar playing, long nails made very short work of removing the body shells. This is a major bonus as my biggest reservation to N guage was it's DCC capacity. Of course, I'm sure the class 14 may try my patience someone more effectively!

I was intending to build my latest purchase (an NGS Shark kit brought at the show on sat) but after viewing Jonas's progress (here) on his Shark, the crazy idea of some DCC light action struck me. I've killed off a couple of hours with forum searches this morning, and I hope to have a rather cool project on my hands for another day now.

Out of the computer room, and into the railway room, progress continues under the baseboards. Firstly the final set of droppers were connected to the bus wires. (I couldn't do this while running in DC). A bit more work to clean up the wire work, and finally, a good half hour of playing...er... I mean testing, DCC on the mainboard is complete!

2011-09-13153853.jpg

I've been looking forward to finally operating the layout as it is meant to be!

Little scenic progress recently as I have a few niggles with the station platform.....moreover it's length. Of course we all wan't big platforms because it means bigger trains....But I think in my case, its a little overbaring on the rest of the layout....thoughts welcome.

2011-09-13161732.jpg

I've had a go at one quick detail while playing with wire the other day. One of the dropper wires that my "little helper" got hold of was dropped in an orange paint mix, which lead to the idea of using short lengths to represent the conduits that protect cables running under the rails.

2011-09-13153914.jpg

As for today, My "little helper" has been "helping" as good as she could! So far, she has pulled wires off the layout, chewed me screwdriver, and stolen a packet of scapel blades out of my toolbox! Thankfully she has now returned to chewing her own things!

2011-09-13155037.jpg

Other jobs on this week's agenda are getting the fiddle yard running DCC and looking at curving the backscene. Perhaps some more testing, and probably time to consider looking at ballast before I put it off forever!.

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Lee

I use ultra fine play sand for the line side and yard bits. If dyed right it can be used for almost any finish including cinder. Progress is great, I am just off to do some bits on my layout! Nice helper too. My (non)assistant dogs are 2 labs, both of whom are excellent at borrowing tools, thankfully they leave wire alone.

Hi all! Thanks for the kind comments!

Well progress has been very slow due to heavy traffic on the rails at Hare's run :locomotive:

Having said that, there has been some! Most importantly, I've finally won the battle with the tunnel walls. I've struggled to get plasticard sheets to stay in place on the portal plates, as the curve was too tight for the plasicard. I did try scoring the back of the sheet, which I've used to good effect scratch building before, but the moulded sheet was too thin, and where the scores met the mortar courses on the sheet, it kept snapping. The angle of the portal to the direction of the track also offered some trouble to get walls to meet up neatly to the portal walls.

The solution I came up with was to build a plasticard frame to support the lining in as I shaped it up.

2011-09-16165837.jpg

2011-09-16161428.jpg

2011-09-16161339.jpg

I've only given the lining a couple of light grey coats so far, so a good heavy grime wash or six should darken it up a bit in there. Now I've made my tunnel facing, I can mask the back of the backboard to reduce the light bleeding through from the back, to give that dark tunnel effect.

The angle of the portal to the display side prevents viewers looking down the tunnel so the 'mess' at the back is well hidden up. where the lining has been cut shorter and shorter, then too short, I'm left with a thin gap at its base as you can see in the pics. ballasting should rectify that, but I may just put a couple of courses of brick plasticard along the bottome to add a bit of detail, and ensure it's covered up!

Deffinatlyt been a learning curve getting that lining in there. I'm sure there were probably easier ways of doing it, but for the time being. I'm happy with the results so far.

As for the platform, I'm still not happy. I'm not sure what it is but it just looks to big. Perhaps its the lack of scenic support, or the overwhelming contrast against the pink, but I think I may have to rebuild it, or restyle it somehow. I'm also on the hunt for a good scenic selection of buildings. Some new scalpel blades would encourage me to start scratch building something, so a shopping trip is required!

I'm also starting to question the trackside details. The more I look at reference photos of the North Wales lines, I'm not seeing point motors or cable troughs etc. I may do away with these now and look at alternatives. I'm set on a Dapol semaphore once they get released and perhaps a signal box would sit nicely at the end of the platform area to complete the rail scene....

Anyhow, onwards for now!

Regards

Hi All!

Time for a small report. I've chipped three of my locos in anticipation for DCC. With five machines to choose from, but only 3 chips, I took the easy route and chose the 24, 37 and 47.

2011-09-11111239.jpg

These three are plug-n-play in it's truest form! In fact, it took longer for me to chip my old 00 37 than these three combined!!! Thanks to the guitar playing, long nails made very short work of removing the body shells. This is a major bonus as my biggest reservation to N guage was it's DCC capacity. Of course, I'm sure the class 14 may try my patience someone more effectively!

I was intending to build my latest purchase (an NGS Shark kit brought at the show on sat) but after viewing Jonas's progress (here) on his Shark, the crazy idea of some DCC light action struck me. I've killed off a couple of hours with forum searches this morning, and I hope to have a rather cool project on my hands for another day now.

Out of the computer room, and into the railway room, progress continues under the baseboards. Firstly the final set of droppers were connected to the bus wires. (I couldn't do this while running in DC). A bit more work to clean up the wire work, and finally, a good half hour of playing...er... I mean testing, DCC on the mainboard is complete!

2011-09-13153853.jpg

I've been looking forward to finally operating the layout as it is meant to be!

Little scenic progress recently as I have a few niggles with the station platform.....moreover it's length. Of course we all wan't big platforms because it means bigger trains....But I think in my case, its a little overbaring on the rest of the layout....thoughts welcome.

2011-09-13161732.jpg

I've had a go at one quick detail while playing with wire the other day. One of the dropper wires that my "little helper" got hold of was dropped in an orange paint mix, which lead to the idea of using short lengths to represent the conduits that protect cables running under the rails.

2011-09-13153914.jpg

As for today, My "little helper" has been "helping" as good as she could! So far, she has pulled wires off the layout, chewed me screwdriver, and stolen a packet of scapel blades out of my toolbox! Thankfully she has now returned to chewing her own things!

2011-09-13155037.jpg

Other jobs on this week's agenda are getting the fiddle yard running DCC and looking at curving the backscene. Perhaps some more testing, and probably time to consider looking at ballast before I put it off forever!.

Thanks for looking! Like the look of your helper wait till she grows up,like the layout. Chris.

Regards

Lee

Thanks Chris, Steve!

Despite the lack of photo evidence, I've made some progress! Mostly on the landscaping side of things. Unfortunatly due to the slow speed that it takes for PVA to take hold on the foam, it's a slow process that will probably take a couple more days. Thanks to Steve for dropping the idea of raising the landscape up to the platform. I've done some research and looking at the old goods platforms at the old station at Blaenau Ffestiniog, I've got some ideas on improving the station scene. Of course I will now have to start the platform from scratch but oh well! The little bit of progress so far;

2011-09-18202104.jpg

I've also taken the dummy electric point motors off now. I'll add a ground frame for the sidings and other details from a signal box for the main lines/loop in the station.

I've also worked on the tunnel walls and surrounding frame. Basically I have completed the plasticard box that holds the wall in shape, and smothered everything in matt black paint. I've also added a back plate with a smaller portal to reduce the light bleeding in from the rear. Unfortunatly my black wash has evaporated so I've not finished weathering the liner yet, but more progress in the week should see it finished and finally glued down!

To show how much darker it is now,

2011-09-18202127.jpg

Finally, I've spent the last couple of hours considering my station building. As I keep going back to the Blaenau Ffestiniog photos I've found, I decided to base my station on the old building that closed in 1982. It was build in the 50's and is quite a uniform and simple design I guess. I've not got any dimensions and little more than two or three decent photos of the building, however, it's just a rough guide.

So for the first time, I've drawn up my plan! (usually I'd just start cutting)

2011-09-18202006.jpg

It's been a decade since I've done any graphic drawing :paint: , but this roughly depicts my plan. The side building probably won't happen...it's sort of an afterthought. The main building is quite symetrical. Front and back will be the same, with the exception of a small veranda over the double doors on the platform side. The prototype looks like it's been smoot rendered, though I think I will make my example in a stone brick format. I'd love to say that I want to put lights and maybe even a smoke generator in the building, but I'll save those ideas until I've actually attempted to build it first!

I've scratch build a stone loader before but never a building so any major troubles, and I'll head to the scratchbuilding side of the forum,but if anyone does see any glaring mistakes/ideas then please tell me! I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions :)

Onward for now! Thanks for reading!

Regards

Lee :dancing:

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

Been a long time I know :( Many distractions, fund drains and general back to work'dness (yes, I just invented a new work!)

Still, I've been moved from my railway slumber, thanks to Steve's inspiration (his blog http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/815/entry-8067-the-plank/) I thought I'd start a plank of my own to get me warmed up, and although this will probably progress faster than the layout (by means of a practice and testbed) I've started work again on my main layout!

I'll put some pics up when the plaster bandage stuff dries, though as it's rude not to put at least one picture up.

2011-12-04204824.jpg

I've started making trees from Gaugemaster seafoam....this was the first attempt, and is a scale 10 meters high in N guage. Rather impressed with the authentic look and ease to produce. a few things to try with the seafoam yet, so I'll keep experimenting for now :)

Thanks for reading :)

Lee

That's a good looking tree, is it on a twig or wire frame?

Hi, It's actually a natural product and is called Seafoam. I picked up a box of it at the model shop, this particular stuff is by gaugemaster.

2011-12-10185118.jpg

Once it's cut down to size.

2011-12-10185728.jpg

I've used a wash to darken the trunk and branches on this one.

2011-12-10190450.jpg

The branches are quite supple and can be manouvered a little, though too much and they will snap off. My only quarrel is that the box is so fully stuffed, the seafoam has been flattened and taken on a bit of a low relief shape. Great for trees at the back of a scene, but otherwise, it's a bit more fiddly shaping the tree up..

I'd suggest a pair of tweezers come in handy to pick out the unwanted material and to gently bend the tree into shape. Then it's plenty of hair spray and scatter.

2011-12-10191529.jpg

Which foliage is that? Have struggled to find suitable N size leaves. Plenty of fine foliage from usual places but that stuff looks really good for larger leafed species.

I've used the gaugemaster leaves medium green scatter for this. I was recommended this by my local model shop.

Compared to the ready made offerings in N this method will get me more trees for my money, and they don't look too bad either! I'm gonna be trying some hedges as well with the offcuts.

Regards

Lee

Archived