Progress looks good Lee, the platforms don't look to bad in the last couple of photos.

Also how do you find the static grass in N?

Graham.

Thanks Graham! The platform is certainly coming along, and I'm a lot happier with it that I was before. Another coat along the side walls and smudge of black wash shall finish it off nicely. The top surface is gonna get rubbed down and re-done I think. It doesn't show in the photos, but the surface is too dark I think, and there are a couple of pot holes that'll easily swallow a passenger or two if not filled!

As for the static grass, The applicator was great, although I did give myself an electric shock....A suprisingly easy occurance!! The media I used was dug out of a box from years past when I was into my games workshop wargaming. Without wanting to be too depressing, I am rather hoping to go for a dull, toned down and damp scene, which I think will be more fitting of the North Wales prototype!

I'm going to run some tests with the static grass around some trackwork, along with some of the WS scatters. As my initial test wasn't convincing as a widespread cover.

That is coming along nicely and I second the platform comment mentioned above. For static grass ive used Woodland scenic light green on its own, but also blended in their medium green and burnt grass in places. Enjoy the hobby shop!

Thanks Sephen! I was actually meaning to ask you what you've used, though I'd seemed to remember reading that it was the WS stock. Your grass-work on Gloucester Road has set the bar for N guage greenery IMHO, and I'll be re-reading your posts before I take the dive on my layout. I love the tonal variations you've achieved, particularly around the mesh fencing at the container terminal.

Looking closely at your 'boxfile' scene, the fibres you've used seem finer, and certainly more straight. I think my mistake on my trial with the applicator was rubbing the fibres through the seive, causing them to curl up. In future, I'll follow the instructions and just tap the end of the applicator.

On that note, I certainly shall enjoy the trip to Northampton for some model shop browsing!

Thanks again for your comments :)

Regards

Lee

The last photo you have posted is showing some nice subtle colour variations already - I like it!

Keep up your trials - I am watching with interest... ;)

Thanks Steve!

I'm wanting to get some scratch building done and I'm trying to find a decent N gauge scale'ish' corrigated plasticard, or something to that effect. Has anyone got any suggestions? My local shop (thats not very local) never seems to have anything suitable in stock. The plan is to have some low relief buildings on the backdrop, and they will probably either have corrigated steel cladding, or be of brick construction with corrigated roofs. In the meantime, I might just get on with my station building a bit!

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

Have you seen these:

http://www.unitmodel...?id_product=304

or these:

http://www.unitmodel...?id_product=313

HTH

Cheers

Lee

Hey Lee, Thanks for the links! They may come in handy, and there are some interersting little details on that site as well that may prove useful either here on on my next plan :D

Regards

Lee

Little sucess on the layout front at the model shop.

They didn't have the static grass in stock, and the only corrugated material in N was some small sheets by Ratio. They feel like a resin and are rather thick, and not really the size I needed. That said I remembered an article in one of the mags about usine plasticard sheets as formers for foil. I've got a plan!

In other purchase news, I got another seacow (two more to go!) and a BR Mk1 FK in Blue/Grey livery. A start towards the passenger aspect of Hare's Run station. Also got a couple of Bachmann 6 pin decoders so my class 108 is now digital. That is a bonus!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a day of scratch building so some photos then!

Regards

Lee :)

Hey, Just a small update. Never seems enough hours in the day!

Just a quick concept model for a scenic building.

2012-01-08163507.jpg

And a quick start at the front of the building.

2012-01-08185611.jpg

My progress using foil was dragging so I decided on this occasion to just use the plasticard panels for the building. It's roughly based on a building I've seen pictures of at Penrhyndeudraeth, North Wales. The building should end up a red colour, and it's loose prototype was an explosives works by the railway. Hopefully, it'll project an inch or so into the scene, and leave enough space for a path and fence before the ground slopes away on my layout.

I'll add some guttering to hide the panel joints and aid the corners. FIngers crosed this will get me on the way to sorting out my station building! I've got a good stock pile of plasticard now, and a weak bank balance until the end of the month, so I imagine the cutting mat will be my home for the next couple of weeks!

More pic's soon :)

Regards

Hey Steve

The mock up was just over 200mm. The first attempt is just under 300mm so quite a bit of a size change. Ran out of the corrugated panel and in my frustration, I've probably rushed this. It's definatly a victim of spending too much time staring at it.

I'll be leaving it for tonight now, then try some rafters and gutters to shape up the corners and rough edges. Somehow, I have achieved three different examples of an Inch during this model...I really should have had that cider before I started....Oh well at least it's been waiting for me in the fridge!

Some pics to round the night off.

2012-01-08223030.jpg

2012-01-08223101.jpg

2012-01-08223121.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Really nice looking layout Lee, The detail on N gauge locos, is amazing, I gave up N gauge as it started getting expensive! I'll follow your progress with interest. It looks to be a really nice little layout!

Regards,

Cameron

Lee, that's looking great! Keep persevering, I am sure it will look even better when you have applied some paint and it is blended into its surroundings a bit.

Great work. Keep up this progress bud! Will definitely be bringing up some bits to play with next time!

Hi

Thanks for the comments chaps!

I don't have any advanced plans to exhibit the layout. I've designed this layout intentionally to teach me some of the skills I have lacked in previous attemts, and to just get a layout to a standard that could be called finished!

I want this layout to be moving towards exhibition standard, as I'd love to have an exhibition layout in the future. I can't see this layout hitting that mark, but if I was invited to a local gig as a floor filler, I'd have to accept :P

Steve, I imagine your refering to yourself! lol, any help would have to start a few days before the show getting all my rolling stock weathered! LOL.

Tonight's progress started by hacking the platform surface apart, and re-filling the top. Although I'd painted it to see what it was like, The inevitable occured with the original plaster being too thick, and shrinking in the middle of the platform. I wasn't happy with the surface colour anyway!

A bit more sanding once I get away from the forum should hopefully have the level surface I was after. Unfortunatly the dog ate an important hoover filter the other day so I can't hoover the dust particles off the layout from all this sanding. No loco running for me any time soon :'(

Thanks for checking out my layout :)

Regards

Looking good Lee, Don't you just love it when the dog helps with modelling, Mine has a liking for Farish packaging.

Graham.

Thanks Graham.

I always wear socks when working on my railway.This may seem like a random comment, but it's not!

In the event of a dog-related railway emergency, remove sock and throw out of the room. The dog is instantly pacified and will resort to rolling on her back, holding the sock up with her front paws, while proceeding to destroy it.

An total disaster involving my blue 47 was narrowly averted this very afternoon! LOL

I hope you don't keep any stock in the boxes!

Regards

Lee :D

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your comments on my layout and from your link I have taken a look at yours for the first time just now and really like the work so far. The scratch built station building looks very nice and also very neatly done as well especially working in 2mm! I am also impressed by your track colouring as it gives the right effect for a terminus with a dirty worn look to it. Its also good to see you using the static grass as well as it really does make a difference. I have seen it used very well on Petes china clay layout on here and it just looks so realistic. Greenscenes do some nice shades which I think suit British layouts well, their spring grass has some nice dark damp green shades which might be just what your after?

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hey,

A little bit of progress on the new scenic building....

2012-01-10201524.jpg

A bit of drybrushing on the brickwork, and some carefully placed 'gutters' hide the worst of the panel lines. I'm not decided if I might make some proper doors with windows in, or just leave these blue escape doors as is. The corrugated part of the building will painted a pale red colour, but I've decided to wait for my birthday next month, as I should be getting an airbrush, and I think this will do more justice than my paintbrush skills.

I was going to jump straight in and start making up some signs and bits for the building (now a generic factory of some form) but it struck me that the signage would probably have been a lot different in the late 70's / early 80's. So do I sand my platforms tonight or sift through google for an hour or two? lol! I imagine it will be the former to start with!

I thing some form of chimney will be added to the scene, possibly two. I also think some lighting may be involved once I've got my fence and path in place around the building. probably take an exhibition or two for me to find the little details.

Thanks for looking :)

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your comments on my layout and from your link I have taken a look at yours for the first time just now and really like the work so far. The scratch built station building looks very nice and also very neatly done as well especially working in 2mm! I am also impressed by your track colouring as it gives the right effect for a terminus with a dirty worn look to it. Its also good to see you using the static grass as well as it really does make a difference. I have seen it used very well on Petes china clay layout on here and it just looks so realistic. Greenscenes do some nice shades which I think suit British layouts well, their spring grass has some nice dark damp green shades which might be just what your after?

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Thanks for the comments Mark. I've not looked at greenscene's stuff, so I'll check them out. the static grass applicator is hopefully going to be an important part of getting the right look here. fingers crossed it pays off!

Lee

Hi

Not so much an update, as a request for help.

I'm looking for some fencing to go in front of my building, and I've got it in my head that it would be a mesh security fence 6/7' high .

I've seen a fantastic example of this on the excellent Gloucester Road, but the US supplier of that has a minimum order value, and once the international shipping is paid, well I've spent more on the fence than the rest of my scenery. (here)

I've seen the 3 spike security fence by Pete Harvey. This looks great, but a bit late for my era.

I've done google searches but only found rather poor examples, and I can't beleive there isn't a UK varient out there somewhere!

Any information greatly apreaciated!

Regards

Lee

Hi

Thank's for the suggestion Graham. I believe that is of the modern variant (like the 3 spike stuff) I'm trying to find a prototype picture from the 70's of this stuff but everything seems to be of the mesh fence variety. Shame because I have lots of things I'd like to order from the N-brass shop!

Regards

Lee

Hi all

Just a little update on progress, while I browse the internet making lists of things to buy on payday!

I've been working on the platform for a week or so now...still not got it right. Guess I got to take the rough with the smooth!

2012-01-14180105.jpg

(Apologies for the pun)

I'm getting peeved with the general disagreement that the platform has with me. I just painted it today so the imperfections may stand out a bit better. A quick sand down tomorrow, then I'll be spot filling with a model filler. Then I think a coat or two of primer and sanding and I should be there. A bit of masking will be required as my hand-painting skills have depreciated over the years - demonstrated by the white line.

Onto something a bit more exciting, I've started "greening" the place up a bit.

2012-01-15013445.jpg

This is a 60/40 mix of woodland scenics 'blended turf - earth blend' and 'fine turf - green grass'. Mixed then sieved, the end result is probably more like 70/30 in favour of the green. I've used a thick pva to get this down, and it will darken up after some hairspray I reckon. I wish I'd had the patience to wait for the static grass to arrive, but I needed to see green on the layout. I will probably end up applying a coat of static grass to this at a later date, but it depends on how dense the tree work gets on the hill.

I've read recently about a finer static grass that's more suitable for N or even Z gauge. Will have to consider trying it out.

Slightly OT here, but of interest. Due to the pup reaching her first season (don't worry, that's not the interesting bit!) I've taken to walking her at around midnight to save meeting other dogs. It's been a great week on the railway, with all the nocturnal beasties out n about!

2012-01-11234516.jpg

2012-01-12003355.jpg

Work started on Monday night to renew trackwork on the WCML slow lines at Stoke Hammond. I really do feel for the residents with the hellish noise, but for me it was excellent! The track machines, road-railer excavators and the seacows out in force. A constant wizzing and thumping and horns sounding! Then tonight work commenced in lifting the new signal gangtry into place over the four lines. More road-railers and a rather large crane. I apologise for the rubbish night photos (mobile I'm afraid) but has been an interesting set of events to watch.

Also while this was going on, pairs of 86's on intermodals trying to keep the speed up on the fast lines, a DRS 37 on intermodals, and a Virgin 57 doing it's thunderbird thing have all kept the line an exciting scene through the witching hours! Nothing like some real line action to get you inspired on the model scene :)

Finally, with the ballasting and seacows from this week's engineering works in mind, Here's a couple of my own YGB's 'in service'.

2012-01-15014003.jpg

2012-01-15014039.jpg

Thanks for reading!!

Archived