Littledale Light Railway

• RMweb Premium

I've not posted in this area before as I've not had much need to, but I thought that outdoor modellers might like to see the achevements of an acquaintance of mine. This is the culmination of a 16 year project, with extensive remodelling of the garden to accommodate embankments and a girder bridge, and a railway which somehow does not overshadow the fact that the garden itself is also superb. The garden is occasionally open to the public under the NGS (yellow book - Cumbria edition) and also is opened for charity events advertised locally. The railway has a very decent run with very challenging gradients and curves and the loco needs to be worked hard on the 1 in 23 climb to the front of the house. The loco is utterly superb!

Edited by 45156
  • Like 12

Stunning!

My long term dream is to buy somewhere large enough to do something similar. More likely 5", 71/4 is just too expensive.

Would love to see this railway, but don't get up to cumbria very often. I am next up there W/C 6th August, but it would be to much to expect that this coincides with an opening...

• RMweb Premium

but it would be to much to expect that this coincides with an opening...

Unlikely, but I'll PM you if it does turn out that he's got something on.

BTW he's actually just over the border into North Lancashire, not Cumbria - he's in the Cumbria Yellow Book because they NGS for some resaon put him in that book (to do, I think with the fact that most of the Cumbria entries are closer to him than the Lancashire ones most of which are in the Ribble area).

Excellent film there Stewart, although one has to see it live to appreciate the civil engineering that was involved in the construction. If the young chap driving is the son of the owner he was a nipper when I first saw the garden. I feel really old now. :(

Geoff.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent film there Stewart, although one has to see it live to appreciate the civil engineering that was involved in the construction. If the young chap driving is the son of the owner he was a nipper when I first saw the garden. I feel really old now. :(

Geoff.

Geoff - that is indeed true - the importation of many tonnes of hardcore, and the use of the spoil from digging the pond to make the embankment was a mammoth task, and I remember seeing the work in progress when I walked the dog. The girder bridge which was made by one of the local farmers who had welding skills, is standing up well. Also I remember the owner saying that the embankment had affected the natural drainage of the garden, and he had to run field drains through the base to cope with the build up of water. I'd guess that this is one of the most ambitious garden railways in the North, if not in the UK.

I am not sure whether the lad is the owner's son or not, but just to make you feel even older, I asked the owner where his son was today, and was told that he wasn't around as he had just bought a house, and was down there getting sorted out.

Film's not mine, it was posted by the owner's son who said I could link to it from here, so I did.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Film's not mine, it was posted by the owner's son who said I could link to it from here, so I did.

Since found out that the person who posted was the young lad driving the loco, and who is the grandson of the guy who built the loco - so is not the owner's son, but the owner did, nonetheless agree to my linking to the video - I guess I misunderstood what he was saying

• RMweb Premium

Just found out that the next open day as part of the National Gardens Scheme is 19th June. Admission is £3.50 and proceeds go to a good cause. Train rides will be available so here's hoping for fair weather.

Geoff.

I too saw the posters in the paper shop, but regrettably will not be able to go on this occasion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just discovered that the original link has stopped working, as the person who posted it has closed their youtube account, so I've changed the link in my original post to the video that Chris (the owner's son) has put on instead.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Advance notice for anybody in this area - Heywood House (home of the Littledale Light Railway) is having an open garden day for NGS on 24th June from 11 am according to the Yellow Book, and that normally means that the railway is operating. If you are visiting, please be aware that this is NOT a railway open day, it is a garden open day with railway running, so it's not likely that there will be lots of like minded railfans there, but there will be the green finger brigade in large quantities. Admission is £3.50 and a ride on the train is usually £1.00 extra.

Edited by 45156

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the kind comments!

As the "owners son" a very prestigious title!, I cannot take credit for the video posted at the top of the topic. That video was taken by a vistor although to this day I'm not sure exactly who. The previous video the topic refers to was taken by the builder of the engines gradnson as mentioned above, he did close his youtube account but has since reopened it. I have put some links below to some videos of the engine and railway.

This years open days were on the 3rd and 24th of june, sadly the 3rd was cold and wet and so subsequently very quiet although it did improve towards the end of the day, the railway was of course running. The 24th fared much better and although we had a couple of showers by 2pm or so the sun was out and the weather most pleasant. Thank you for the advertisment, the charity days often do quite well but as the NGS is such a good cause we could always do with more visitors!

Although the garden and railway are open publicly just two or three times a year the railway is run for pleasure much more frequently.

Thanks

Chris

A video taken ont he 24th

Our recent visit to weston park, including the odd shot of yours truly driving!

I think this is the orignal video the topic was based around

And a video of the 2009 7 1/4 AGM showing both engines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN4sEo89rRs

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

To drag an old topic up...

This years dates for the Littledale Light Railway public running are as follows. Please be aware these are garden open days where the railway will be running as well.

This years dates are for the National Gardens Scheme and the RNLI Morecambe

http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/gardenfinder/garden.aspx?search=type:advanced-pc:la46hb-d:10-dr:6&id=18773

23rd June (NGS)

11-5 - £3.50 Admission

7th July (NGS)

11-5 - £3.50 Admission

14th July (RNLI)

Times and prices to be confirmed!

As ever at each event Teas, Coffee and Cakes will be available at additional cost however it is all for charity and for a good cause.

Garden / Railway Address

Heywood House

Littledale Road

Brookhouse

Lancaster

LA29PW

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's a few shots that I took this afternoon of the line in action

Taking water in preparation for another run

post-103-0-61045700-1373209418_thumb.jpg

Getting to grips with the 1 in 40 up to the front of the house

post-103-0-80248000-1373209456_thumb.jpg

Approaching the girder bridge

post-103-0-19192200-1373209547_thumb.jpg

Coming back through the station after the first loop

post-103-0-22999100-1373209623_thumb.jpg

Passing the folly

post-103-0-26052700-1373209734_thumb.jpg

View across the garden to the tunnel mouth (train just about visible) - gives you an idea of how exensive the garden is

post-103-0-48337300-1373209772_thumb.jpg

General view of station area

post-103-0-87320600-1373209968_thumb.jpg

The railway is open to the public again next Sunday 14th as part of an open garden day for the RNLI and even without the railway is well worth a visit as it is an incredibly attractive garden, which the railway complements, rather than overwhelms.  Admission is again £3.50 with once round the garden behind no2 being an extra £1.00 - and all for a very good cause indeed.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Well I'm blowed, I've lived a mile from this railway most of my life and I had no idea such a wonderful railway [and garden]existed! Not quite true, I have spotted track behind the front gate but never got round to approaching the owner to chat about it. It was Miss Heywood's house when I was a lad.

What a splendid achievement!

Edward

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There was one on 13th July - which I missed as well - DOH.  Sorry Colin - I didn't see your post.   And heartbreaking - two locos in steam...

Not sure whether they are planning any more

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi, The railway is quite close to where I live. I did have the open days in my diary, but was gutted that I missed them due to working those days. Are there any more open days this year?

• RMweb Premium

Not sure, and I haven't seen the owner recently - usually there are three open days a year - two for the NGS and one for a local charity (Lifeboats or similar) and the NGS are normally in June, and the charity one in July, so I'm guessing we've both had it for this year.

Where do you live, Colin? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind comments. The open days have finished for this year, we did indeed do two for the NGS and one for the Lifeboats. They Heywood Society also visited us this year to see both Tarn Beck and Afon Glaslyn in steam. As yet we have not confirmed any dates for next year.

However, the plan is for both engines to be at the 7 1/4 AGM this year down at the bath and west show ground.

As some videos from this year have been posted above I won't repeat but there are least 3 if not 4 good videos taken by the Anderson brothers. Eagle eyed viewers will notice the addition of additional freight stock in the form of two tool vans and a brake van which takes us up to a nice rake of L&B style wagons.

• Like 2