Any Question Answered

Pixie

Just found your 'any question answered' thread which brought a wry smile to myself...

many years back a certain resin cast trader had upon his stand a sign denoting 'ask any question' to which a non modelling friend of mine approached and said quite sincerely... how do submarines work, you fill em up with water and they sink so how do they come back up?.... the traders look was priceless..

acceptably not a 2 mill' issue I know

mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Although I've been a member of the 2mm Fine Scale Association for only an year I am definitely a beginner in building tracks and turnouts. I've tried the Easitrac system and rail soldered directly to the PCB timbers onlybut I'd like to try Versaline sometimes.

I can say that I found the PCB turnout construction easier than Easitrac and much enjoyable; and, for a shunting yard, I'd say it isn't so important to have that prototypical daylight given by raising the rail on the timbers.

What I still need to experiment in track building? TOUs. The tiebar from a PCB slipper looks like is the easiest to build. I tried the fuse wire coiled on a PCB slipper in vertical plan and it looks better and maybe, reliable. My problem is to find an easy to build Turnout Operation Unit (what's underneath the baseboard) - I'm still studying...

@Jerry: a few photos of your tie-bars / TOU assembly would help a lot. Anyway, thank you for the description.

For my TOU's I am simply using the sleeper method with a hole drilled in it to accept the wire from a slow motion motor.

how do submarines work, you fill em up with water and they sink so how do they come back up?

I seem to recall there is tanks of compressed air on board, so when they want to resurface the compressed air is pumped into the flooded chamber to force the water out. Bouyancy then rises, so up comes the sub. When it's at the top the air tanks refil and the same happens again. Not sure what happens if the air tanks fail and I'm sure that my scribblings are incredibly basic. But y'now, we aim to please. ;)

Now, can anyone let me know the meaning of life at all? Or why Nestle stopped making the awesome Secret Chocolate bars? Or why I'm not snuggled up to Lily Allen each night?

Pix

Edited by Pixie

Again I was told by a number of people that a moving sleeper was unsightly and unreliable, I have found it to be niether. Some of the tiebars I have seen described look very elegant but look a fiendish fiddle to make and I have my doubts about their robustness.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for this - most usefel! Certainly the tie bars on Highbury are far from noticable and if they're as strong as you say then they must be a good solution. I think the main concern is the PCB delaminating, but I really think the forces involved in 2mm pointwork wouldn't be able to do this, unless the joint had been over heated on solder.

The Tucking Mill idea is a good one - I'll give a whirl!

Cheers,

Pix

I thought it was Katy Perry?!

Either would do! Pixie Lott can be quite foxy, but the whole name thing could cause issues so best not....

...err... anyway, better steer back to something a bit more on topic. The Sterotype Police will say we're starting to move away from our adenoidal image. ;)

Pix

Guest Natalie Graham
Or why Nestle stopped making the awesome Secret Chocolate bars?

They still do, but just aren't allowed to tell anyone about them. They are kept in the national reserve of red cast iron platform vending machines in the tunnel under Box Hill. ;)

I feel almost guilty returning this thread to boring sensibleness, but on the subject of tiebars, Keith Armes does a rather clever one, using a PCB sleeper on its end with wire wrapped around and soldered to the blades. Rugged bit of kit with only the edge of the PCB sleeper on show. You do have to cut a groove for it in your baseboard top, but that's a minor issue. I'd also echo Jerry's comments about moving sleepers. In 2FS you need to look hard to spot what's going on.

Alan

Sticking with the subject of tie-bars, and using sleepers for that purpose, I have successfully used tiebars sleepers made from filed down fibreglass strip. Into these I drill a pair of holes and I insert a pair of 4mm turned coach door handles (I kid you not), retained by 12ba washers soldered on underneath. The fibreglass is very strong, and the inserted door handle 'flats' are spaced so that the inside edge of the point blade solders to them. They are low and flat-sided tiny rectangles, so a good strong solder joint is acheived, and they rotate as the sleeper moves so that no strain is put on the solder joint, and the wheel flanges pass well above the minimal solder meniscus so no bumping over solder blobs.

I operate them with wire-in-tube, operated by a sliding switch which switches the polarity of the crossing as well as moving the point blades. If anyone is interested I can stick a couple of photos up.

For what it is worth, I tried thin pcb strips of sleepers end on with wire twisted round for the pivots, but found them prone to breaking and quite hard to set up. I also tried inserting lace pins into them, bent over and found them even harder to make reliably. You pays your money and takes your choice ........

• Like 1

Sticking with the subject of tie-bars, and using sleepers for that purpose, I have successfully used tiebars sleepers made from filed down fibreglass strip. Into these I drill a pair of holes and I insert a pair of 4mm turned coach door handles (I kid you not), retained by 12ba washers soldered on underneath. The fibreglass is very strong, and the inserted door handle 'flats' are spaced so that the inside edge of the point blade solders to them. They are low and flat-sided tiny rectangles, so a good strong solder joint is acheived, and they rotate as the sleeper moves so that no strain is put on the solder joint, and the wheel flanges pass well above the minimal solder meniscus so no bumping over solder blobs.

I operate them with wire-in-tube, operated by a sliding switch which switches the polarity of the crossing as well as moving the point blades. If anyone is interested I can stick a couple of photos up.

I am interested in your TOU and I think some photos will help a lot.

Thank you,

Steve,

I remember you mentioning this on the 2mm VAG some time ago and was thinking about your method when reading some of the posts above. Some photos of the arrangement would be very useful.

thanks,

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I have found that moving sleeper tie bars with a hole drilled through the middle tend to break either side of the hole even in 0 gauge. I had one break at an exhibition and managed to loop a piece of cotton round the joints to the blades and hold the assembly together. End of exhibition layout packed away. Next exhibition my co-operator commented there's a piece of cotton caught round the tie-bar. The cotton lasted the whole two days with my co-operator muttering 'What are you like' from time to time.

Don

• RMweb Gold
I have found that moving sleeper tie bars with a hole drilled through the middle tend to break either side of the hole even in 0 gauge.

On Tucking Mill I have added a small washer to beef up the hole but Highbury is just a small hole in the middle of the sleeper. I must have been lucky as in almost thirteen years I haven't had one break yet.

Jerry

If an interloper can be allowed from the uncouth world of N, can I possibly ask what does the 2mm world favour for the use of locomotive lamps? In particular BR era.

I've used the Springside lamps on a few loco's and whilst they are OK I do tend to feel that there must be something better available from the 2mm world.

Guest Natalie Graham

If an interloper can be allowed from the uncouth world of N, can I possibly ask what does the 2mm world favour for the use of locomotive lamps? In particular BR era.

I've used the Springside lamps on a few loco's and whilst they are OK I do tend to feel that there must be something better available from the 2mm world.

We all scratchbuild them, although getting the wicks trimmed to scale length to get them to light properly can be a real pain. :jester:

• Like 2

There is/was an article in the magazine (later reprinted as part of a book and now available on the magazine archives DVD) about scratch building lamps. It didn't detail how to make the wick though. I can't think of another readily available source of lamps, other than springside.

I am thinking about having a go at a modern image 2mm layout. What do 2mm modellers do about converting the wheels for 2nd generation Farish and Dapol DMUs though? I see this note on the products page "NB. Class 150/x requires slightly different pin-point axle length, this is under development." and I assume the older 158 and 170 DMUs are covered OK.

Generally, 2mm scale doesn't seem to cater much for modellers of the 1990s and beyond, apart from plain Easitrac with concrete sleepers. Would I be better to stick to N gauge, with handbuilt points?

• RMweb Gold

Generally, 2mm scale doesn't seem to cater much for modellers of the 1990s and beyond, apart from plain Easitrac with concrete sleepers. Would I be better to stick to N gauge, with handbuilt points?

It may be easier to stick with N but the track and wheels will not be as good and may start to bother you. All the N gauge models can be converted and I expect more mdoern stuff will be produced from the 2mmSA if the members want it. With the ease of converting modern stock to 2mm I image the number of members modelling the modern scene will grow. However the choice is yours.

Don