BR Green - BR blue diesels

Piemanlarger

I seem to remember one or more 47s were repainted all over dark green to use up paint. (The ligher green wasn't applied). I photographed one of the last 47 remaining in green in the late 1970's at Llandudno Junction.

As regards rail blue, I gave them a second glance but that was all, usually because they were ex-works. I took up railway photography again as a relaxation in the 1970's only to realize how much I had missed since loosing interest in 1965. It came as a shock to discover the hydraulics had gone as it never entered my head BR would be withdrawing D i e s e l s...wacko.gif

Just 47256 as far as is known.

Just looked through a box of 10 X 8's and the last 47 I photographed in two-tone green was 47367 working an extra Boat Train for Holyhead on 20th August 1977. I'm looking through my diaries for a plain green 47 repaint!

You'll only find 47256 I think but even so photos of it are very rare, in 30 years I have only seen one.

I have umpteen of it as a two tone green one before I get beseiged!

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I appreciate this thread is mostly about 47s. However, one oddity I photgraphed in 1977 was one of York's scruffy 08s in green hauling a blue liveried A4 (Mallard) away from the York Stn Centenary exhibition. It was on the Monday of one of the May Bank Hols in that year but which one I can't remember, nor the 08s number. So even green diesels and blue steamers have a precedent.

Archived