Morecambe & Wise

MRDBLUE17

Hi everyone,

The idea of this challenge is tempting me to join in and I have had this particular layout in mind for a future project for several years now as it would eventually fit in with my much larger plans for my ideal layout of the future. It also fits in well with the rules of the competition and I have found several facts about it that link it to the number 5!

Most of my railway models and equipment come from the Train Shop in Morecambe so it is a station I know well and can photograph it when I go and visit (potentially for my backscene). I have already done some searching of the net for photos that other people have taken and got some facts off Wikipedia to give me some ideas. I also have 2 boards that I had built and did nothing with that are 16.5 x 36 inches. These would be used for the first boards from the left of my paint plan of how the layout could look. The next 2 will be straight along the front edge again 36 inches long but will narrow along the rear edge. The bridge over the railway provides a perfect scenic break. The total area of all 4 boards comes in at 1953 inches so fits within the rules.

I have some spare track left over from building Rannoch and some points with some ZTC point motors which I could use as I will make this DCC ready and use my prodigy for control. I already have some suitable North Western stock including my Northern 153 which I recently fitted the Howes sound chip to which makes it fun to operate. The Branch to Morecambe also has a branch off to the right of the road bridge which serves Heysham harbour and Nuclear power station. This means a wide variety of DRS locos can run with a couple of flasks in tow or light engine.

Now some really not so interesting and quite tenuous links to the number 5:

* Trains to Morecambe mostly run in and out from Lancaster some of which start and terminate from platform five.

* The current Morecambe station was opened in May 1994 which is the 5th month of the year.

* Passenger services run using units with the number 5 in the Tops classification eg: 153, 158, 150 and 156.

* DRS locos running on the line include type 5 power in the form of 57's and 66's along with sub class 37/5's among others!

The only real issue affecting whether this will get built is time, I don't really want to get to distracted from building Rannoch but the challenge will be fun. It will get built at some time as I want to build Lancaster next and this layout will fit onto this perfectly as designed for this purpose and as it is self contained could be built to be exhibited in the future. I have quite a decent collection of DRS locos and there are 3 currently in progress by a well known member on here but I will save these for a future update. I will need to build a couple of flask wagons and I have just tasked my mother back home with getting me the Stagecoach bus in the Morecmbe and Wise livery from Paul at Barrow market. (She did add that there is no way I will get this built in time!)

Hopefully my paint plan will give you an idea of how it will all look. I am guessing the S-kits flask is the way to go - just wish I could enlarge my 2 N-gauge TPM flasks as I was really pleased with how they turned out a few years back as that would save some time! I think the layout will work out well and will provide enough operational interest on its own especially with sound fitted locos. Hope you like the concept and any questions, ideas inspiration please feel free to comment!

Thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have taken my plan forward with regards to this planned layout. As I already have 2 boards built I have been playing around with the track plan to ensure things will fit as planned. I visited Morecambe on Friday as part of my christmas visit back home and took some photos which I will add to here when they are uploaded. Whilst there I went to see Richard at the Train shop and got the other 2 points I need to build the layout being a 3 way point and a medium right hand point. I already had a few spare points for the rest and some flexitrack already. I have a Northern 153 with sound added and I also took the opporunity to add the Northern 156 in Settle and Carlisle livery. I have a contact back in Barrow for various Diecast vehicles and I have got hold of the Stagecoach Morecambe and Wise bring me sunshine special liveried bus to help set the scene. I will add some photos and get things moving with this hopefully at some point early in the new year. Whether I actually get this built in time remains to be seen as I don't want to detract from building Rannoch but it will be completed at some point in the future.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Looks a nice and prototypical modern project coming along here - nice one!

I too, like Morecambe very much and i think you have the possibility of an interesting variety of stock available.

Keep up the good work as there are not enough layouts that represent this part of the country!

All the best,

John E.

Hi Everyone,

John thank you for your comments - I have found the time to add a few photos - It was quite a nice day on Friday during my christmas visit home which was fortunate as the light was just going as I got to Morecambe but it did allow me to get a few photos so I can ensure my plan contains the main features to help set the scene within the planned space. Thought I would share a few for now to help create a better overall picture of how my plan should look when completed!

The Welcome to Morecambe Notice board that greets passengers coming by train

post-6863-12609160178716_thumb.jpg

The approach to the station from the road side

post-6863-12609160717707_thumb.jpg

The ramps up to the platform from road level

post-6863-12609161268728_thumb.jpg

General view of platforms and track layout - road over bridge in the distance will act as my scenic break in the plan.

post-6863-12609161942409_thumb.jpg

End of the line!

post-6863-1260916254756_thumb.jpg

The layout is going to be viewed from the other side so as the train movements can be seen - this also helps to fit the layout into my larger future plan where it will be a proper branch off the main line. Hope you like the ideas so far and if you have any comments or questions please feel free to join in.

Thanks for looking

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year!

Just before Christmas I purchased the only bits of track I needed to be able to build this layout a 3 way and a medium right hand turnout. Last night I was able to get the track work laid out and cut to size whilst watching the telly and will be able to get the other 2 base baords cut and built over my days off during the next couple of weeks so at least by March should have the track work all down and wired! Here a a few shots to show you the work so far. Even within my planned 12 feet I have had to compress the layout but will still retain the character of the real location as in the actual phots from my visit. The junction board is the entrance to the storage roads and the front track is the lead off to Heysham. This is the area that will be hidden under the road bridge and as in the real location the bay platform is only accessed from the main branch to the WCML and has no direct access to Heysham. The only slight issue is the loop only has access to the Heysham branch but the operation of the layout will not be affected by this very much - it just means the flasks will sit in the platform road whilst the locos run round.

post-6863-1262445798708_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1262445798708_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1262445841383_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12624458628271_thumb.jpg

The last shot gives you an overview from the road bridge end of the layout so far. Hope you like it and please feel free to add any questions or comments!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-12624458194043_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Mark, Hi

Happy New Year too!

Only just picked up this thread after reading between the lines about in in your other blog.

Looks interesting - Good to see you also have other projects to distract you from your main one - its good to juggle, especially when you become fed up with one!

Am interested in the 2mm TPM kits you built as mentioned in the text - any other information/photos on these?

Good luck with this anyway - will stay tuned.

Pete

Hi Mark icon_wave.gif

Looking good so far, keep it up!! icon_thumbsup2.gif

Your comment about leaving the flasks in the platform road whilst the loco's run round is exactly how they do it. I've seen it done several times. (That is when they're not top'n'tailed!!) They stop just after the road bridge and un-couple the flasks there so they are not left in the platform area whilst the loco's run round. HTH

I'm not sure you're aware that the two platform lines are completely independent of each other all the way from the east side of Bare Lane station. Both lines from there are bi-directional. It is therefore quite prototypical for two trains to leave either Bare Lane or Morecambe at the same time and travel side by side.

Also..... once a train has entered the line (with the Heysham Junction on) with the token from Bare Lane signal box, no other train can go on that line even if the first one has cleared the platform and gone off to Heysham. ( I believe this is being looked at to be modified in the future)

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hi Pete / Rob,

Pete I have the N-guage ones boxed on my desk so I will dig them out and take some pics for you - I was also working on putting together an MOD train of vans and have even modified a VBA with some underframe detail and added graffiti to another which you might like to see so I will maybe add them to a blog entry - I will let you know where once I have added them so you can take a look.

Rob - thankyou so much for all that info - that will help me to operate the layout in a more realistic way. I was aware of the 2 seperate lines running to Bare Lane but knew nothing about the token set up as I would have ended up running a DMU into platform 2 once the DRS locos or flask train had cleared for Heysham. I have had to compress the model so don't have much room up to the road bridge but I am looking at getting a couple of S-kits FNA's and fitting magnets and Kadee's to my DRS fleet so that I can run round or top and tail to suit - I will fit these into the platform road. I have only actually seen a 20 and 37 running light in and out of Morecambe on the way down to Heysham and various DMU's when I do get down to visit so your information will really help me. My long term plans even if this isn't finished in time for the competition is that one day it will form the branch off my WCML layout based on Lancaster as I like the layout of the station - I am not aiming for an exact copy but I do like the various bridges over the station the footbridge is also nice - the stone work looks quite hard to replicate so might opt for an easier brick built structure and base it on the idea the original was bombed badly during the war as happened to Barrow but that is a long way off at present. Morecambe is a good choice for me as it will allow me to run my DRS fleet. Like the look of that DRS 37 and RHTT in your photo!

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I'm glad I could help!!

I've got four of the S-Kits FNA's, they're a very nice kit. If you're going to fit Kadees to them I have a sugestion......... I have used 'Ribu' (I hope I've remembered the name correctly) coupling mounts. They're basically a chassis mounted version of the Hornby class 60 coupling system. Available from Germany. I'll dig out the full details for you later.

It would be easier for me to take some photo's to show you what I mean. (I'm just about to go to work, so I'll hopefully get them taken tomorrow morning!!)

The RHTT set was scratch built about 3 years ago before S-Kits released theirs!! (typical!!) I run it top'n'tailed with either 37's or 66's (All sound fitted). They can be seen running on either Bee Lane or Blackmill whenever I'm operating!!!

If you need any more info about Morecambe or Lancaster stations and operating practices let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

That would be great! It was just an idea I had to make operating this layout a bit easier and hands free. I saw Bee Lane at Preston show last year as I had come down from Edinburgh to Barrow for my mums 60th. It was a very good show and had plenty of time there as I left the wife shopping in the city centre. Bee Lane was my favourite layout being a WCML modern image setting that does make me a bit biased. I remember seeing the flashing warning signs which is a feature I had not seen working before on a layout and having the branch junction also provided me with some inspiration for running the Morecambe branch off my future Lancaster layout.

Thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

There has been one major advantage over the last week or so with me not being able to get on here and that is work has been progressing on my layout project as time allows and I have now got the very end board track laid with a ZTC point motor and decoder fitted and dropper wires attached. Board two next to this has had cork sheet laid track cut and shaped to fit and SMP copper clad sleepers glued in place at the ends. I am hoping to get holes drilled and dropper wires which are cut ready to solder onto the underside of the rails. Track is all cut to length and shaped for board three but this will require more work as need to unsolder some ZTC point decoders from on old unfinished project to fit in place. Still can't get pictures on but will try later this week all being well. For those interested in DRS nuke trains the local Barrow paper has a report and video clip of 66432 and 66422 with the first return consignment of waste for Japan. This can be found at www.nwemail.co.uk

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Everyone,

There has been one major advantage over the last week or so with me not being able to get on here and that is work has been progressing on my layout project as time allows and I have now got the very end board track laid with a ZTC point motor and decoder fitted and dropper wires attached. Board two next to this has had cork sheet laid track cut and shaped to fit and SMP copper clad sleepers glued in place at the ends. I am hoping to get holes drilled and dropper wires which are cut ready to solder onto the underside of the rails. Track is all cut to length and shaped for board three but this will require more work as need to unsolder some ZTC point decoders from on old unfinished project to fit in place. Still can't get pictures on but will try later this week all being well. For those interested in DRS nuke trains the local Barrow paper has a report and video clip of 66432 and 66422 with the first return consignment of waste for Japan. This can be found at www.nwemail.co.uk

Thanks,

Mark

Looks good - keep up the good work - We took the train from Preston to go to a Guitar Shop 2 weeks ago I have not been to Morecambe in 12 years or so (I forgot there was a Model rail shop) immediately as I got of the train I was hit by a wave of inspiration - I took one or two shots on my mobile while the missus stood there shaking her head with the "here we go again" look will be doing something based on Morecambe - 18" by 7" ohmy.gif single track

Modern shelter CCTV etc lots of detail extensive use of good quality photo backscenes - not pinching your idea but thought it was somewhat of a coincidence - Thanks.

Hi Crisis Rail,

Glad you found some inspiration - please let me know when you get your projected started as it is certainly an area of interest to me and would like to follow yours progress. Will you model it with Northwest stock as well? Did you get the chance to visit the Train Shop in Morecambe whilst you were there. I have been going to Richard for around the entire 20 years he has traded and it is simply one of the best train shops in the country. I regularly pay a visit despite living in Edinburgh! If you didn't get chance you will have to have another visit at some point!

Mark

Hi Crisis Rail,

Glad you found some inspiration - please let me know when you get your projected started as it is certainly an area of interest to me and would like to follow yours progress. Will you model it with Northwest stock as well? Did you get the chance to visit the Train Shop in Morecambe whilst you were there. I have been going to Richard for around the entire 20 years he has traded and it is simply one of the best train shops in the country. I regularly pay a visit despite living in Edinburgh! If you didn't get chance you will have to have another visit at some point!

Mark

Mark

Yes - a coincidence we went to Promenade Music - didnt realise about the Railway Shop I will be going back.....started the diorama on Tuesday with the excellent PECO platform edging - I will not be doing Morecambe exactly as such it was just the general layout and platform plus your photos and headshunt that I thought where "modellable" especially with the Hornby "bus" shelter for a waiting shelter of sorts - I was equally inspired by Windermere on a recent visit - Northwest stock - my son has a Northern Rail 158 in Red Grey although I prefer todays livery with some skateboards Railtours and Engineers freights thrown in. I will be using the excellent International Models backscenes for depth (attached) most probably the Distribution Depot as I think the retail park is too far away - although I will be buying both... good stuff - keep your photos coming - Cheers...!

Hi Crisis Rail,

Will look forward to watching yours progress - very much like those backscenes you will be using - I have not seen those ones before just the country scenes and they look very good. I am planning to create something for Morecambe using actual photos and hopefully when I visit again will get some bright weather to get some more photos taken for this purpose. I will add some more photos from my last visit when I start work on the bridge and station building but could do with getting some more detail shots to get some dimensions right. My plan for this will be to get my mother to stand next to things so I can then work out the scale from knowing her height.

Let me know when you have added some pics of your project so I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mark

Archived