Warship scavenger fans

Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Evening folks

Having recently obtained a pair (Swindon and NBL variants) of Shawplan etches, I unpacked them last night to start work on my NBL 43 project.

The Shawplan blog site has pics of the 43 etch fitted- but has anyone given this a go yet, and has any handy hints?

My NBL pack has the etch for the roof walkway frames but no mesh which is present on the 42, whereas the image on the blog has mesh for the 43 etch. Am I missing a piece from mine? Before I drop Brian a line any info gratefully received.

I've spent years searching for a decent shot of the roof of a 43, and was interested to hear that D832 has always been fitted with NBL-style fans, so a visit to Bury or some detail photos of her should be helpful.

Neil

Evening folks

Having recently obtained a pair (Swindon and NBL variants) of Shawplan etches, I unpacked them last night to start work on my NBL 43 project.

The Shawplan blog site has pics of the 43 etch fitted- but has anyone given this a go yet, and has any handy hints?

My NBL pack has the etch for the roof walkway frames but no mesh which is present on the 42, whereas the image on the blog has mesh for the 43 etch. Am I missing a piece from mine? Before I drop Brian a line any info gratefully received.

I've spent years searching for a decent shot of the roof of a 43, and was interested to hear that D832 has always been fitted with NBL-style fans, so a visit to Bury or some detail photos of her should be helpful.

Neil

Hi Neil,

The NBL Warship fan grilles are quite a bit different to the Swindon built examples.. here is a pic of D832 at Bury..

post-437-0-02446600-1308780617_thumb.jpg

You will notice the main circular mesh is the same but fitted on top of the frame whereas the Swindon version is underneath (flush with the roof), and that the diamond pattern mesh is only fitted at each end of the walkway as opposed to the full length version fitted inside the tray that covers the circular mesh as here:

post-437-0-19130200-1308781128_thumb.jpg

You should have these small pieces of mesh in the pack.. if not, let me know and I'll send you some!.. ;)

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian - extremely helpful shots there - yes I don't have the mesh in the 43 pack, I'll drop you a line separately.

Geoff- thanks!! - Ignored my number 1 RMweb rule think/research before posting! D832A bit closer to home then.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

D832 is now undergoing a repaint at Williton on the West Somerset Railway.

If anyone wants detail shots let me know what you need and I'll see what I can arrange - I know someone who volunteers as a diesel fitter/driver at the WSR ;)

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update:

my contact has confirmed that when he goes down there next (could be a couple of weeks) he'll take any photos required, inside, outside, wherever.

A donation towards the cost of the paint for D832 would be in order though ;)

• 5 months later...

Archived