The Ladykillers

clemf

Just had a completely mad idea. I'm an ealing comedies fan and The Ladykillers is one of my favorites. I also had relates that lived in New Cross back in the 60's and there place backed on to the goods yards which were hidden behind a high wall so you could hear things going on but not see them. So I thought I could sort of use the inspiration from both and try to come up with a 50/60 London based goods yard.

Not as mad as I thought, there a layout called Copenhagen Fields which looks like the North end of the Copenhagen Tunnel to me (might be wrong). The Ladykillers was set at the south end.

...and said layout has a cameo from The Ladykillers

post-6843-12590746065826_thumb.jpg

(apologies for the slightly fuzzy image, but I was about at the limit of the camera's focus!)

Kevin

Not as mad as I thought, there a layout called Copenhagen Fields which looks like the North end of the Copenhagen Tunnel to me (might be wrong). The Ladykillers was set at the south end.

And - according to BRM, The Gresely Beat too.

Penlan

Bit more thinking been going on. Its going to be in O gauge but more a diorama covering the house, tunnels, mainlines and viaduct. Haven't worked out the sizes yet so not sure how much I can fit in. I'll post a track plan once I get a chance.

• RMweb Gold

Copenhagen Fields will be at the Watford Finescale Exhibition in February 2010 and later on in the year, at Warley. The layout features the street which appeared in The Ladykillers and has a small goods yard (dubbed Mrs. Wilberforce's Yard) in about the right location. We've had to take some liberties with the geography of the area to make a layout that is a viable exhibition display. What we don't have is a model of the lopsided house. It only existed as a film set. We often debate whether or not to include it.

Some layout info is here:

http://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/docs/copenhagenfields.htm

Part of the layout's exhibition display is a video screen showing much of the Ladykillers background footage that was never used, courtesy of Video 125 and of course, the late John Huntley. John visited the club and invited us to come and see the footage before it had ever been made public. It's quite remarkable footage, 35mm colour & sound. The Ealing films certainly had a sense of real atmosphere and I never tire of watching any of them.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know or have any decent photos of the south end of Copenhagen Tunnel. I've found a few on google images and it looks like the three tunnels are all on different levels. If anyone has any measurements that would be even better or I'm going to go the guesstimate route. Pictures of the viaduct just south as well would be usefull.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having watched the film and sketched out the track outside the tunnels, (which are a lot more complex than I remembered) I don't think I can fit it in in O gauge. As you need to fit in 7 tracks, 3 embankments and a signal box in the width of the layout you would end up with about 4 foot of track to shuffle up and down on. I could do only 2 of the three tunnels which would narrow the width to about 20 inches so I could lenghten it to 100 inches. So do I narrow and lenghthen or go down to a smaller scale to fit more in?

• 2 months later...

Archived