Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

London Toy Fair 2020 starts on Tuesday coming, 21 January, and runs for 3 days until Thursday 23rd. Oxford Diecast have said they are making their announcement about new products at the Toy Fair, and similarly for Oxford Rail.  So, new announcements next week!

My guess for Oxford Rail is the USATC S-160 2-8-0 from WWII. Oxford Rail have already tackled the war time theme with their WWII rail mounted gun, and the USATC was top of the 2019 poll, so there seems a neat synergy there.

My hope for Oxford Rail's 2020 announcement is the NER 20 ton wooden sided hopper wagon - after all, their lovely forthcoming J27 needs something to pull, doesn't it?!  I've wanted the hopper wagon to be available rtr for a long time - perhaps in 2020?

John Storey

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stentor said:

Can anyone tell me what dates the upcoming Oxford Invacar is viable?

I’m looking for a suitable Invacar for the mid 1950’s and I suspect that the Oxford one might be a little late.

Any insight much appreciated.

//Simon

I think the version being produced by Oxford first appeared around 1970 1960 and they disappeared from general use in 1977. Those loaned to users but owned by the Government were destroyed excepting a couple retained for museums but some that were bought by their users are still around.

From about 1970, the original small Villers engine was superseded by 500 or 600cc Austrian-made four strokes giving a top speed of about 80mph (if you weren't already disabled, you soon would be, IMHO) and 10" mini wheels replaced the scooter wheels previously used.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2020 at 19:24, PhilJ W said:

I like the bit about two Invacars being pulled over by the police on the M5 in 1978. They had overtaken a police car doing 70 mph!

They can still get a shuffle on when urged as below (high speed hooning from 16:00 onwards and see part one of the video for the precision engineering that made it possible).

BTW, the image on Hattons looks remarkably like the drawing in the Model 70 brochure, so presumably that's what Oxford are making? Twc special edition anyone?

• Like 3

A lot of these cars, and other similar ones, went to MoD logistic depots, such as the one near Burton-on-Trent (Ruddington?), to be issued to disabled ex-Servicemen when the need arose. They would be conveyed on Lowfits or Plates; one on the former, two on the latter. They would be roped down, with straw-filled sacks between the securing ropes and the car itself, reducing the risk of damage to the car.

In the early/mid 1970s, the Sunday Times launched a campaign to replace them with adapted 'normal' cars, due to the high accident risk and the low protection offered to the driver; they were successful, and what was to be called 'Motability' was launched.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

They can still get a shuffle on when urged as below (high speed hooning from 16:00 onwards and see part one of the video for the precision engineering that made it possible).

BTW, the image on Hattons looks remarkably like the drawing in the Model 70 brochure, so presumably that's what Oxford are making? Twc special edition anyone?

Near the start he drve past our (model railway) club house. 

On 05/02/2020 at 14:31, Fat Controller said:

A lot of these cars, and other similar ones, went to MoD logistic depots, such as the one near Burton-on-Trent (Ruddington?), to be issued to disabled ex-Servicemen when the need arose. They would be conveyed on Lowfits or Plates; one on the former, two on the latter. They would be roped down, with straw-filled sacks between the securing ropes and the car itself, reducing the risk of damage to the car.

In the early/mid 1970s, the Sunday Times launched a campaign to replace them with adapted 'normal' cars, due to the high accident risk and the low protection offered to the driver; they were successful, and what was to be called 'Motability' was launched.

Branston (as in the pickle)

• Like 3

Hello Oxford (diecast)

Would you consider a 1/76 Landrover Wolf?

There are plenty of varieties of body styles (hardtop, soft top and pickup) and colour schemes (nato green, desert sand, sand and green, green and white) ,to make several runs possible, and like a couple of dozen for my warflat train.

Please.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KDG said:

Hello Oxford (diecast)

Would you consider a 1/76 Landrover Wolf?

There are plenty of varieties of body styles (hardtop, soft top and pickup) and colour schemes (nato green, desert sand, sand and green, green and white) ,to make several runs possible, and like a couple of dozen for my warflat train.

Please.

Thanks.

There is a group on Facebook called 'Oxford Diecast wishlist models'  that is watched by the people from OD. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a group on Facebook called 'Oxford Diecast wishlist models'  that is watched by the people from OD. 

Thanks Phil 

Sadly I'm one of those Luddites who doesn't do Facebook.  I haven't worked it out yet.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/02/2020 at 22:41, Dungrange said:

In that case, an e-mail to Oxford Diecast would be more likely to be read than a post on here.  I did e-mail them with a couple of suggestions (wants) a couple of years ago and did get a reply.

That might be a useful thing for me to do.  I would like some 1970s 1980s construction / earthmoving action.  I have already bought the Fordson and JCB tractor type excavators but there is a list of others which I think would be very useful. Firstly a Track Marshall which could be used as a farm tractor but also "decorated" with bucket and backhoe and cab for construction work.  Competitors would be the Drott shovel loader or the Caterpillar traxcavator.  Also the JCB "centre cab" tracked 110.  

a "360" excavator in the shape of a Hymac 580, a JCB 8xx or a Poclain.

An off road dump truck - either a Foden, an Allis Chalmers or one of the Volvo articulated designs

Larger Caterpillar D8 or D9 and a scraper box.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Covkid said:

......     Competitors would be the Drott shovel loader or the Caterpillar traxcavator.  ......

......     An off road dump truck - either a Foden, an Allis Chalmers or one of the Volvo articulated designs  ...

Yes, a Drott would be very useful from the late 50's through to early 80's.

Oxford have announced an AEC 690 Dumper Truck in two liveries, one of which is Wimpey ;

https://www.hattons.co.uk/519556/oxford_diecast_76acd001_aec_690_dumper_truck_wimpey/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Covkid said:

That might be a useful thing for me to do.  I would like some 1970s 1980s construction / earthmoving action.  I have already bought the Fordson and JCB tractor type excavators but there is a list of others which I think would be very useful. Firstly a Track Marshall which could be used as a farm tractor but also "decorated" with bucket and backhoe and cab for construction work.  Competitors would be the Drott shovel loader or the Caterpillar traxcavator.  Also the JCB "centre cab" tracked 110.  

a "360" excavator in the shape of a Hymac 580, a JCB 8xx or a Poclain.

An off road dump truck - either a Foden, an Allis Chalmers or one of the Volvo articulated designs

Larger Caterpillar D8 or D9 and a scraper box.

They are bringing out an AEC 690 6x6 dump-truck https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p324877858/h2219ef4b#h2219ef4b )

, along with several 360-degree tracked excavators. I agree a Drott would be nice (BR used them, IIRC). One vehicle that might prove popular is the type of grab, that was mounted  on a back-to-front Fordson tractor; they were very popular with coal merchants.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

They are bringing out an AEC 690 6x6 dump-truck https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p324877858/h2219ef4b#h2219ef4b )

, along with several 360-degree tracked excavators. I agree a Drott would be nice (BR used them, IIRC). One vehicle that might prove popular is the type of grab, that was mounted  on a back-to-front Fordson tractor; they were very popular with coal merchants.

Yes Brian. That AEC 690 ticks the dumptruck box certainly.

Agree with you about the "coal merchant" tractoer grab. Every 4mm goods yard would have one !!  

• Like 2