What Might Have Been

• RMweb Gold

I recently started researching possible options for a new layout where I could run a variety of stock and not follow rigidly any specific location, rather a general area.

A bit of Googling brought up this document from the Justice Department Aborted Railway Projects which describes 216 Acts of Parliament which related to railways that were never built or abandoned a few years after opening.

I'm sure it contains a lot of material of interest to modellers who would like to build a layout on plans that might have been built.

My work involves (among other things) research using old railway plans and there are plenty of interesting aborted projects to be found in County archives. I recently plotted part of the route of a projected line which would have been a sort of railway M25 running west from Hertford and ending up at Reigate. How we could do with that now!

I have two might-have-beens that fill my scrap paper with doodles. Firstly, the planned extension by the LSWR from Dorchester to Exeter, across the Marshwood Vale. That was not too far-fetched, it nearly happened, and it supports my current layout w-i-p.

My second m-h-b though, is only just on this planet, and therefore of much greater interest (to me). Again, it concerns the LSWR, but this time they chose a suitable mainland starting point, and tunnelled beneath the Solent to connect with the IoW network. To take the proposal marginally short of the extreme, my fictional route starts from near Brockenhurst, and surfaces to connect with the IWCR north of and facing Newport. The named O2's, E1's, and A1x's would all be unaffected, but the smaller Drummond 4-4-0s would be permitted through the tunnel, as would the Adams radial 4-4-2T, and they could work through to Ventnor. I would also transfer some 50ft gate stock to the Island for passenger purposes. It would mean rewriting a wider chunk of history to suit my purpose, but politicians do that every day.

A fascinating document but it cannot tell even half the story. I know there were more than a dozen railway schemes for my own area, Wensleydale, but none appear in that list. As it was, our only line that was built - from Northallerton to Garsdale - died in the 1950s - even before Beeching. Talk about railway madness!

I like the idea of the railways proposed for Wharfedale - the Skipton - Kettlewell and Skipton - Wharfedale railways. What wonderful tourist lines they would now make.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A fascinating document but it cannot tell even half the story. I know there were more than a dozen railway schemes for my own area, Wensleydale, but none appear in that list. As it was, our only line that was built - from Northallerton to Garsdale - died in the 1950s - even before Beeching. Talk about railway madness!

I like the idea of the railways proposed for Wharfedale - the Skipton - Kettlewell and Skipton - Wharfedale railways. What wonderful tourist lines they would now make.

Ian

The document only related to railways abandoned by special Act, between approx 1867 and the 1890s. This had to be done to wind up the company and get back the deposit, up to 10% of the estimated cost, which had to be lodged before an authorising Act could be passed. Railway projects authorised before 1850 could be abandoned by applying to the Railway Commissioners for a Warrant under the Abandonment of Railways Act 1850. This was later amended to cover lines authorised up to 1867.

The document only related to railways abandoned by special Act, between approx 1867 and the 1890s. Railway projects authorised before 1850 could be abandoned by applying to the Railway Commissioners for a Warrant under the Abandonment of Railways Act 1850. This was later amended to cover lines authorised up to 1867.

If you include these earlier schemes, plus various later examples, then your original list has to be multiplied by a factor of.... well several I would think. Just looking at the scottish borders, my own particular area of interest, throws up quite a few. The Newcastle upon Tyne, Hawick, Edinburgh and Glasgow Junction Railway sounds rather grand. Or rather more down to earth, The Carlisle and Berwick Junction (with a branch to Hawick) Railway company. There is certainly plenty of scope to build a ficticious line based on real plans.

Bernard

Guest Belgian

My second m-h-b though, is only just on this planet, and therefore of much greater interest (to me). Again, it concerns the LSWR, but this time they chose a suitable mainland starting point, and tunnelled beneath the Solent to connect with the IoW network. To take the proposal marginally short of the extreme, my fictional route starts from near Brockenhurst, and surfaces to connect with the IWCR north of and facing Newport. The named O2's, E1's, and A1x's would all be unaffected, but the smaller Drummond 4-4-0s would be permitted through the tunnel, as would the Adams radial 4-4-2T, and they could work through to Ventnor. I would also transfer some 50ft gate stock to the Island for passenger purposes. It would mean rewriting a wider chunk of history to suit my purpose, but politicians do that every day.

The real one is almost more interesting, first being promoted in 1901. The tunnel was to commence in the Keyhaven marshes and I believe tunnelling actually started (at least, boreholes were drilled to assess the geology of the ground). It was to have emerged near to Yarmouth and was to have been worked by electric traction (the LSWR had already started to plan the electrification of its suburban routes) see these articles on its expectations.

JE

Guest Belgian

There were a number of railway schemes projected in the last decade of the 19th Century in the Western Highlands. These were all associated with the Kyle of Lochalsh line, which had only been built as far as Strome Ferry at that time.

The most interesting, one which nearly got authorised, twice, was a line from Garve to Ullapool. The Government had planned to support one line in this area and this line seemed to be a likely contender, with Ullapool being developed as a small port to serve the northernmost of the Western Isles, especially Stornoway. In the event the money went to extend the existing line from Strome Ferry to Kyle.

Later the same line was again a possibility just after the First World War, this time being suggested as a narrow-gauge line using war-surplus track and equipment, including WD 4-6-0 tanks!

Another proposal was a line along the length of Skye itself, both standard and narrow gauge schemes being drawn up.

JE

• RMweb Premium

The real one is almost more interesting, first being promoted in 1901. The tunnel was to commence in the Keyhaven marshes and I believe tunnelling actually started (at least, boreholes were drilled to assess the geology of the ground). It was to have emerged near to Yarmouth and was to have been worked by electric traction (the LSWR had already started to plan the electrification of its suburban routes) see these articles on its expectations.

JE

I seem to remember many years ago, a layout in Railway Modeller made to represent one end of the proposed tunnel line. I can't remember if it was the island or mainland end, but it was set in Southern days, and used steam instead of electric traction.

It is unlikely that all lines on the IoW would have been electrified. Also, there would still have been Ventnor tunnel to navigate, which prevented muchstandard stock from venturing too far south.

So, there is still plenty of potential for exotic locos and names.

I have the parliamentary papers at home for the extension of the Aldwych branch to Waterloo in about 1962 or 63. the route was approved but never built.

I seem to remember many years ago, a layout in Railway Modeller made to represent one end of the proposed tunnel line. I can't remember if it was the island or mainland end, but it was set in Southern days, and used steam instead of electric traction.

That would be Captain Richard Kirkby's O Gauge "Exbury and Lepe", which was (is?) set at the mainland end of the tunnel.

Although mainly steam, I believe a 4-COR (Nelson) appeared in later years, though I don't recall 3rd rail ever being fitted.....

Richard

• 6 years later...

There were a number of railway schemes projected in the last decade of the 19th Century in the Western Highlands. These were all associated with the Kyle of Lochalsh line, which had only been built as far as Strome Ferry at that time.

The most interesting, one which nearly got authorised, twice, was a line from Garve to Ullapool. The Government had planned to support one line in this area and this line seemed to be a likely contender, with Ullapool being developed as a small port to serve the northernmost of the Western Isles, especially Stornoway. In the event the money went to extend the existing line from Strome Ferry to Kyle.

Later the same line was again a possibility just after the First World War, this time being suggested as a narrow-gauge line using war-surplus track and equipment, including WD 4-6-0 tanks!

Another proposal was a line along the length of Skye itself, both standard and narrow gauge schemes being drawn up.

JE

Noooo, I'm sure I have read about this being built. :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Abridged-History-Andrew-Drummond/dp/1904598099

• RMweb Gold

Another"WMHB" is a link from the Highland mainline at or near Dalwhinnie, to the WHL near Spean Bridge. This would allow a direct service between Fort William & Inverness, and cut the journey time between Glasgow & Fort William by something like an hour or more, plus, presumably, allow more freight traffic.

I read about this scheme, which I think was only ever a proposal, in an old Modern Railways from about 1977. Always thought a link to the Highland mainline would have been sensible, but I guess it would have led to abandoning the section south of Spean Bridge to Crianlarich-and I'd miss travelling across that section.

Another"WMHB" is a link from the Highland mainline at or near Dalwhinnie, to the WHL near Spean Bridge. This would allow a direct service between Fort William & Inverness, and cut the journey time between Glasgow & Fort William by something like an hour or more, plus, presumably, allow more freight traffic.

I read about this scheme, which I think was only ever a proposal, in an old Modern Railways from about 1977. Always thought a link to the Highland mainline would have been sensible, but I guess it would have led to abandoning the section south of Spean Bridge to Crianlarich-and I'd miss travelling across that section.

If this had been linked with a continuation of the Ballachulish Branch to Fort William it would have created a more useful rail network in the West Highlands. Not so romantic, though.

I also wonder what would have happened if the connection at Crianlarich had been east to north - would the line through Callander have survived instead of the route through Glen Falloch?

Yes, I remember reading that around that time as well, although I recall it as Tulloch-Newtonmore; places that at the time were to me, as a 10-yr old in the Midlands, just so incredibly remote and exotic.  Now they're just places I drive through.

This was being promoted as replacing the expensive to maintain section across Rannoch Moor, although it would have left the Oban line on it's own, and reducing journey times from Fort William.  This also depended on having an electrified Highland Main Line, and tilting APTs in squadron service....

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I remember reading that around that time as well, although I recall it as Tulloch-Newtonmore; places that at the time were to me, as a 10-yr old in the Midlands, just so incredibly remote and exotic.  Now they're just places I drive through.

This was being promoted as replacing the expensive to maintain section across Rannoch Moor, although it would have left the Oban line on it's own, and reducing journey times from Fort William.  This also depended on having an electrified Highland Main Line, and tilting APTs in squadron service....

Yes, that's right, it was Tulloch-Newtonmore. I can't lay hands on the mag in question, it's in a box somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Controversial, I know, but I've always thought, with Scotland's abundance of hydro-electric power schemes, that the Highland Main Line would be an ideal candidate for electrification.

Archived