rails of sheffield

david heath

Another Lion has escaped from Rails and has arrived today in excellent condition as it was very well packed! Just finished running it in and it runs like a sewing machine even through some fairly complex pointwork with no signs of a wobble or hesitation. Well worth the wait given the circumstances.

Hatton's and Kernow have both announced their price for the Bachmann 10000/1.

Rails, on the other hand, are very slow (or watching the market) and the relevant section of their website has been down for days but if they don't get a move on I shall cancel my option with them and go southwest to where the best price coupled with exellent service is to be found.

What do others think?

• RMweb Premium
What do others think?

As with all matters of a similar nature "You pays your money and takes your choice" but for my money and having regard to the potential for these items to sell pretty well before release I would consider pre-ordering from a retailer of choice who advertised a price now. If they happen to have a reputation for excellent service that adds value to the deal in my book. But we must all make up our own minds and many of us may have well-founded loyalties as well.

Ordered 12/06/2010 paid on the 8th March 2011 sent on the 29th March 2011 said palate had gone missing and thought they had better get the ones that were ordered first out of the door (12/05/2010) !!!:lol:

I know exactly what you mean by :lol:.

Mine ordered March 24th,processed March 25th & but only sent out yesterday March 29th due to higher than expected volumes :D.

You ordered June 2010 I ordered March 2011 & both our locos got sent out the same day. I think everybody got their loco when the supplies turned up no matter when you ordered. To be honest I think pre ordering means diddly. They just use it as a monitoring tool to work out possible demand & to scare the buyer into thinking "If I don't order now I may not get one":P.

Edit

This item arrived on Monday April 4th. It took 5 days which isn't bad from the UK to Ireland.It was well packed & arrived without damage.

• RMweb Premium

Mine ordered March 24th,processed March 25th & but only sent out yesterday March 29th due to higher than expected volumes :D.

You ordered June 2010 I ordered March 2011 & both our locos got sent out the same day. I think everybody got their loco when the supplies turned up no matter when you ordered. To be honest I think pre ordering means diddly. They just use it as a monitoring tool to work out possible demand & to scare the buyer into thinking "If I don't order now I may not get one":P.

Hi

Though in some cases that does happen some people missed out on the original release of the Dapol 156 in Provincial Livery. Due to be released again this year I believe.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Though in some cases that does happen some people missed out on the original release of the Dapol 156 in Provincial Livery. Due to be released again this year I believe.

Cheers

Paul

It has already been released. :)

I made the mistake of ordering from Rails..once.

I waited two months for my order to arrive by airmail, only to discover that it had not been sent.

They had advertised stuff they did not have.

I eventually got them to send what they had.

When it arrived two items, that I had paid for, were missing.

I could not be bothered arguing with them anymore.

Edit

This item arrived on Monday April 4th. It took 5 days which isn't bad from the UK to Ireland.It was well packed & arrived without damage.

As a foreign customer, I made one order with Rails, never again... they sent it to the wrong address, as an existing customer shared my postcode (here, a postcode may cover several suburbs, not just a few houses)- it was only thanks to the efforts of the recipient that it actually reached me. Not a word from Rails on the subject, I only found out the story behind its delivery via a friend- I simply wondered why the heck it had postage from NZ on it!

Guest dilbert

I made a PayPal payment to Rails on 2nd Aprl at 19:30 CET for Tintagel Castle. Loco arrived this morning, 6th April at 09:15 CET - It was sent Airmail and only took three working days to deliver... dilbert

Please, is anyone else finding it impossible to connect to the Rails of Sheffield website? I've not been able to visit it for about three days now, and wonder if it's just my machine, or have they got a problem?

:blink:

Richard

They had a couple of URLs. My bookmark was pointing at railssheffield.com but it seems like they demised this last week as it stopped working. A quick Google search gives you the correct address.

Yes, make sure your shortcuts and bookmarks point to http: //railsofsheffield.com/default.aspx (as Gwiwer has said). I have deliberately broken the link here so that the text does not get truncated - do NOT type the space between http: and //.

• 3 months later...

Maybe not strictly the shop but I bought something through Rails Ebay site on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday morning, only £1.00 std postage and packed very sturdily. A big thumbs up to Rails.

• 1 month later...

Im slight disappointed with my first experience of rails ordered online in the 27th of august with every being instock only to receive a email on the 1st stating they only had one part of my order was in stock and there would be a shipment in next 10 days then chased them up last tuesday only to receive email saying that the points i ordered were had been missed off there last delivery and they maybe arriving in there delivery at the end of the week only to have them delivered on saturday with only a with compliments slip inside

Im slight disappointed with my first experience of rails ordered online in the 27th of august with every being instock only to receive a email on the 1st stating they only had one part of my order was in stock and there would be a shipment in next 10 days then chased them up last tuesday only to receive email saying that the points i ordered were had been missed off there last delivery and they maybe arriving in there delivery at the end of the week only to have them delivered on saturday with only a with compliments slip inside

Hello, C R!

Although it is quite difficult to follow a post seemingly written in one sentence, without any punctuation, it seems that one reason for the delayed receipt of your order was that Rails had been let down by their supplier. This is hardly the fault of Rails - they can only supply what they have in stock! However, there have been a few issues, over the years, with Rails adverts appearing to show new stock as available even before it has been released by the manufacturers. Their printed adverts do now clearly state that in-stock items will be despatched very promptly (and they usually are), whilst orders for items not in stock will be dealt with as items become available.

As far as I can determine from your post, when you contacted Rails they said they hoped to have the points at the end of last week, and in fact they did better than this, because you received them on Saturday!

You haven't told us at what time on Saturday 27th August you ordered on-line, nor at what time on 1st September they sent you the e-mail explaining that only part of your order was actually in stock, but it seems to me that they have kept you as well informed as they could, and delivered your order promptly once the items were in stock. As we are considering hobby items, rather than urgently needed business or medical items, etc. it's rather hard to expect more than this, I think! As ever, other suppliers are available, but with different prices!

I'm writing only as a well-satisfied Rails continuing customer.

Richard

• Like 1