Leicester class 27's

Incredibly, I found a photo, in a book, of the Scarborough working mentioned earlier.

D5387 is pictured at the back of Scarborough shed, 18th May 1964, in a little paperback Bradford Barton book, BR class 26 / 27 Diesels. (published 1981)

Probably not so surprising because there was a Kings Norton-Scarborough summer dated service for Brummies to go to the seaside. I'd have no doubt Saltley men worked it a good deal of the way, if not all the way. That is on the basis that sheds like Bescot and Walsall used to work excursions to Llandudno and Blackpool for the day. There was even a Walsall driver who signed Windermere for the annual excursion !!!

Yup, thats right. go anywhere and sh1t on anybody. That was the 21A moniker.

Even though they called us the sh1t farmers, we just hunkered down and got on with it.

PS if you want to know why, just check out a few old maps, but don't get taking soil samples around the "new" Walsall ground :nono:

Being largely spare at weekends, they would have been prime candidates for summer dated trains so Skegness, Cleethorpes, Scarborough, Blackpool, Llandudno, Gt Yarmouth and perhaps Hunstanton could have seen them.

How far were you thinking of sending one?

I lived by the Sleaford-Skegness line for many years through the 1960s and early 1970s and never saw one on that line, which does not mean they never appeared, but I would have soon been notified by my mates if I missed one, so I very much doubt one was used.

On our regular visits to Hunstanton, it was 31s and 37s and nothing else apart from the local dmus.

I'm afraid that in the 1960s the Skegness summer trains were not the preserve of celebrity traction, as occurred later in the 1970s and 80s. The staple diet in those days (after the B1s and K3s had been withdrawn) were 31s and 25s, plus the occasional 37 and 47. Services from the West Midlands were mainly 8-car formations of Metro Cammell dmus.

D5400 at Cricklewood:

gallery_6737_797_33942.jpg

What was the date on this image? Can't find my locoshed book from the time, but wouldn't it have more than likely a Cricklewood loco anyway rather than allocated to Leicester? I know I saw it at St Pancras on ecs duties on 7 October 1967.

• RMweb Gold

Probably not so surprising because there was a Kings Norton-Scarborough summer dated service for Brummies to go to the seaside. I'd have no doubt Saltley men worked it a good deal of the way, if not all the way. That is on the basis that sheds like Bescot and Walsall used to work excursions to Llandudno and Blackpool for the day. There was even a Walsall driver who signed Windermere for the annual excursion !!!

Had to chuckle today!

My ECoS has been failing to connect with my hand held - came back from SWD yesterday, many thanks for sorting folks. Had to reprogram all the locos including D5401. As is a Loksound v3.5 chip was going through adding appropriate icons to the function buttons when I got to F7 - was expecting flange squeal but instead - a definite flock of circling seagulls!!!!! Where did that come from? must be Saltley men on board I guess.....

Phil

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just caught up with this thread. I don't think the shed masters saw any difference between these and the BR Bo-Bos as far as duties were concerned, so anywhere a Midland Lines 25 would go so would a BRCW type 2. They would be used by Cricklewood on cross London freight so turned up at Stratford, Temple Mills and the ex MR sidings at Bow as well as all over south London. They were used on the St Pancras to Tilbury Riverside boat trains, headcode 1E04.

When trainspotting at my local station of Bedford Midland Road, they seemed to be there one day and gone the next. OK it brought a batch of new numbers, ex ScR Class 25/3s but they were missed.

I have never seen a photo of one at Luton alongside a BRCW type 3. After the closure of the GNR Dunstable branch Class 33s worked up the MR main line to get to the cement works at Dunstable. Passing through Luton it was not unknown to see both classes next to each other.....oh for my own camera back in the late 60s.

The Leicester 27s came into the conversation at my local club tonight. One of our members had his 7mm turntable for us to see, nice model. He had added the box for the controls for the vacuum operation. Which reminded me of a photo in a book called something on the lines of Leicestershire's Railways, there is a photo of a Class 27 on the turntable in Leicester shed. The loco is piped up so that its vacuum brake can turn the turntable. The caption to the photo says it is being refuelled.

• 2 months later...

Scarborough, 18th May 1964 by D5387 on the summer Saturday train from Kings Norton.

Source:- BR Class 26/27 Diesels, Michael Oakley, Bradford Barton - booklet published 1981

Does anyone have a link or better still can anyone post a picture of this one at Scarborough? I found a cheap one in my local model shop and since I'm doing one in O gauge for a Scottish layout, thought I'd have one in OO for a North Eastern region layout having found my "excuse".

Ok, they'd probably migrated to Scotland by my period in 1965 - 1968 but hey, who's going to challenge my modellers licence! He heh.

Cheers.

Sean.

That picture is totally outrageous Mike and thanks for sharing.

5th coach along looks like a period 2 LMS coach, based on my knowledge of LMS coaches being confined to the back of a postage stamp !!!

Fantastic

I'm not sure about them going anywhere a 25 did as despite many being allocated to D15 and D16 in the late 60s, I never saw one north of Toton, again it's possible but all my mates were spotters and none of them ever said they'd seen any.

After the late 60s, despite Toton having a huge batch of 25s, they weren't that common either. Did happen of course.

7875937616_d693c2629a.jpg
25182 Ilkeston 15 Aug 1979 by Russell Saxton, on Flickr

• RMweb Premium

That picture is totally outrageous Mike and thanks for sharing.

5th coach along looks like a period 2 LMS coach, based on my knowledge of LMS coaches being confined to the back of a postage stamp !!!

Fantastic

Hi Phil

I believe the 5th coach to be a diagram D 2195 Cafeteria Car, these were rebuilt from Third Sleeper coaches by Eastleigh. Going through the Essery and Jenkison LMS coach books It is the only diagram with that style windows and a central door on the corridor side. All the other coaches appear to be second corridor, except the lead coach which is a brake second corridor. Oddly the SKs all seem to be marshalled with the compartment sides towards the camera. On LMS coaches the batterey boxes where under the corridor.

• RMweb Gold

Found this report on the East Langton crash in 1965 which involved a Class 27. Sadly the driver was killed but it highlights the duties a Class 27 was expected to do on the LMR-sadly in this case, too much due to human error.

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_EastLangdon1965.pdf

Cheers,

Mark

Found this report on the East Langton crash in 1965 which involved a Class 27. Sadly the driver was killed but it highlights the duties a Class 27 was expected to do on the LMR-sadly in this case, too much due to human error.

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_EastLangdon1965.pdf

Cheers,

Mark

Would this be the loco involved? 

post-2049-0-02919700-1358171729_thumb.jpg

D5383 Derby Works 09-10-1966

Stewart

Archived