Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

I notice a Tamiya British Quad Gun Tractor on one of your (well stocked) shelves.... is it a recent purchase / still available...? I built several of these many years ago and wouldn't mind doing one again, always had a soft spot for their chunky looks

The Quad gun tractor from Tamiya has recently been re issued retailing at around £20.

Pete

I often wonder if life would have been easier if railway scales had been the same as other modellers scales.

I sometimes think it would have been nice if 1:100 had become one universal scale, just because I really like it. I'd have dearly loved it if 3mm/TT had remained a UK RTR scale.

Perhaps then 1:75, 1:50 and 1:25 would have naturally followed across all genres of model making. Instead we have an odd jumble; 1:35, 1:32, 1:48, 1:56, 1:72, 1:76, 1:87 etc etc

Hi sorry for the late reply. Pete is correct, tamiya have re-issued the Quad but unfortunatly it is still the original tooling. Bit clunky in places with some ejector pin marks to clean up, but still makes up into a very nice model!

Its somewhere on my to do pile, but as its a British piece or armour, and my cabinate is lacking in some British steel, it may make its way near the top soon!

Best of luck with the build Rugd1022, just don't forget to put some pic's on this thread once its completed!

Cheers

Matt

I've recently got back inot making planes in various scales. In fact, it was the experience of cutting and shutting some terrible east european excuse for a kit that gave me the confidence to start my 1:29 scratchbuilding, chronicled here and here.

I find the model planes quite relaxing as I'm not so fussy about them as I am about the model railroad.

Hi sorry for the late reply. Pete is correct, tamiya have re-issued the Quad but unfortunatly it is still the original tooling. Bit clunky in places with some ejector pin marks to clean up, but still makes up into a very nice model!

Its somewhere on my to do pile, but as its a British piece or armour, and my cabinate is lacking in some British steel, it may make its way near the top soon!

Best of luck with the build Rugd1022, just don't forget to put some pic's on this thread once its completed!

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt. It's around twenty five years since I built a Quad but I remember it being pretty good at the time and an easy build too. Now then, once I've bought one do I paint it green or 'desert sand'....hmmm, choices.

;)

i have a 1/35th loepard 2, the box made it look like a knock of production but it actually turned out quite nice, it even came with the large ladder tube for going under water. i also have a Tamiya 1/43rd sherman firefly which is my favourite. there is also a 1/72nd M3 half-track, an Airfix churchill bridge layer, that was tricky to put together, an Airfix spitfire (the blue kit which was reintroduced) and a 172nd american air field ambulance with bomb tractor and trailer

Guest Digital

My summer hobby is Radio control boats mainly 1:32 scale, tugs are my main interest.

The top picture looks really life like.

John

Very occasionally I've had a stab at building some of the Tamiya 1:24 car kits. There's an early '80s Toyota Celica (which included a motorisation kit!), a BMW M635CSi, and a BMW Z8. Trouble is, I keep on thinking they'd be suitable for converting to RC, so I deliberately didn't finish them, and.....oh wait....hang on....this is just like railway modelling :O

I've probably dabbled in everything short of R/C aircraft and ships in my time. Started with the usual collection of Airfix planes hanging from my bedroom ceiling as a kid, and have had various phases since then of building aircraft, military vehicles in both 1/76 and 1/35, and cars in various scales- often several of these themes at once as finances and time allowed.

Most recently I've concentrated more on 1/24 cars, although at the moment my whole collection is boxed up in the loft.

I also collected diecast cars for several years, mainly 1950s-80's rallycars and 80's Le Mans cars, including a bit of repainting and minor conversions a few years back. Currently though, my modelmaking activity is pretty much rail-only

Camera%25202008%252001%252002%2520050.jpg

I made this O scale model of the Knight Bus for my sister, an ardent Harry Potter fan. It's based on a Corgi Guy Arab Utility, with the middle floor added from plasticard, and the door relocated to more accurately represent the description of the bus in the book. The interior has about twenty beds soldered up from brass rod, and is illuminated with LEDs.

Paul

• Like 4

Been a 1/72 scale aircraft modeller since the 1970's.

As any aviation enthusiast growing up through the 50's I always had a soft spot for the 'V' bombers

If I find out how to post a picture here I'll add one ........

post-7874-0-67291000-1313784005_thumb.jpg

Geoff T.

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

About 3 yrs ago I bought an old Mamod SR1 roller I'd always wanted one from being young lad but I always got some thing for the railway (thanks Dad).Inow have 12 Mamod mobiles and thn I discoverd Wilesco Wow so I've got five including the incredible showmans engine I can't resist getting hold of a grotty filthy knackerd roller and completely renovating it.I also have been very very tempted byt a R/C tank and every time I see a Tiger I'm sorley tempted still Christmas is coming and I feel a treat coming on but I also want a High-Level RSH 0-4-0 tight call!!

Edited by simon hudson