Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Premium

Got a 1/48 TSR2 (if airplanes were rated like films, then TSR2 carries an X-certificate) to build when I'm not soldering or chopping stuff - I need to stock up on Plastic Weld.

Not quite modelling, but still requires constructional skills, I was pretty handy with 1/12th radio control stock cars - Club champion 1986-1990 and 1992/93 (two year retirement) and National Champion in 1988.

Cheers,

Mick

Some greats models there.

The superb aircraft of M Graf prompted me to share a couple of my hobbies.

My expoits in the realms of fixed and rotary winged craft.

Hope I haven't posted these before and for those easily offended, don't click my other vids. :)

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Did 1/72 aircraft as a kid, mostly WW2, then later 1950s/60s US aircraft, plus every SAAB aircraft type modelled. Still have a Monogram B52 to finish, just 30+ years in the making. Bought it, but never really had the space to display it. Quite fancy a B36, but at the rate the s/fortress is going, I could be 90+ before it gets finished. Still have an HP Victor and a Nord Noratlas to start + a SAAB Draken. For some reason I have started hankering after a 1/72 B24.

Went down the 1/24 car route and also did 1/700 Japanese Navy ships. Now I stick to collecting 1/43 diecast Group5/6/C and other Le Mans cars.

But once the kids leave, I will convert one of their bedrooms to a study/library and have somewhere for that B52.

Oh, and I also have the Revell HMCS Snowberry, 1/72 scale Corvette. One day I will build it, put it in a rail served dry dock.

Been a railway modeller for about 25 years but never lost interest in general pastic modelling. It all began 45 years ago when dad built Airfix HMS Hood for me. Since then, you name it-I've built it. Plenty of 1/72 aircraft, 54mm military figures, 100s of 1/600 warships. Wargaming during the early 70s and more recently 1/350 scale warships. Always have at least one kit under construction and (compared to some) a very small stash of unopened boxes under the bed.

post-13274-0-55124800-1320608238.jpg PZ III on DR 60t flat 1/35

post-13274-0-17569400-1320608381.jpg HMS Hood 1/350

post-13274-0-18703400-1320608428.jpg Felixstowe Flyingboat 1/72

post-13274-0-52951500-1320608464.jpg Bank of China, Hong Kong 1mm-1ft

post-13274-0-28986900-1320608514.jpg SMS Emden 1/350

Photos are of stuff built more recently. Sorry the camera angles are limited because they were photographed on a fairly basic mobile phone.

...and the current task in hand (while planning next years small 00 gauge layout) is - HMS Royal Sovereign 1892. My first attempt at a resiin 1/350 warship, from Iron Shipwrights in the USA. As usual I'm making alterations to it so should be finished in about a year!

post-13274-0-39322400-1320609298.jpg

• Like 7

60091 - Some cracking stuff there. Respect.

What about Lindbergh's machine in front of Tower? Another kit?

steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the comment.

Spirit of St Louis is a Revell kit, 1/48th scale. Built mine about 6 years ago. I've just checked and it's still available on their website. There's no stand with the kit, -you'll probably recognize it's an old Airfix one.

HELP!

There are obviously some very skilled modellers out there, I wonder if I might pick your brains?

I've been putting together a 1/72 Airfix Gloster Javelin FAW9 and have reached an impasse with regards decals.

The first problem is the upper wing surface. Late mark Javelins had vanes, which I'm supposed to put roundels over, like this:

post-8937-0-05961000-1320753949_thumb.jpg

That said can anyone confirm if the Mk8 version lacked the vanes directly inside the roundel as my research pics seem to suggest? If so, problem solved.

Secondly, I'd like to get hold of some 41 Squadron tail markings to put on this model as Wattisham is my local airbase and it was equipped with the type (actually FAW8s) from 1959-1963. Does anyone have any 41 Sqn decals rattling around in their unused box? Obviously I'll cover postage.

TIA, C6T.

Hi C6T,

Can't answer your question on the placing of the roundels, but if they do happen to end up over the vanes then there is a great product on the market called microset and microsol.

Makes settling decals over tricky places a dream. Sometimes takes a few goes, but once they are down it can look like they have been sprayed on!

Was introduced to it by a mate few years ago and couldn't work without it now.

Hope this helps

Matt

Blimey, bit fiddly for my liking.

Anyway, here's some of the stuff I've done (some of the boyfriend's figures in there too)

DSCF1518.JPG

do my eyes deceive me or is that a kirov airship? - ah already been pointed out - going to play C&C now use a couple of these beastie's to blow up a base :) :) :) :)

Edited by witherbrow

• 1 month later...

Having recently been fortunate enough to be offered the chance to drive a steamroller (a lovely Aveling and Porter 12-tonner "Coquet Lass") I managed to get hold of a kit for that vague type of roller, thinking I could build it up into Coquet Lass. Oh dear! Details missing, added where they shouldn't be, and even on entirely the wrong side of the engine! I certainly wasn't expecting to have to build up the valve gear from scratch at 1/72 scale, but isn't that what modelling's really about? Here's the current state of affairs:

post-793-0-72549300-1325520149_thumb.jpg

And to give an idea of scale, the slidebars and connecting rod, my first bit of scratchbuilding in plastic strip:

post-793-0-66528700-1325520216_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not so much these days, but for a long time I used to build model aircraft. Here's a couple of fairly recent ones, built for a friend:

DSCF0008800.jpg

JonsPembroke2806805800.jpg

The problem with aircraft is where do you put them all!

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Many years ago I built Airfix/Tamiya warship, tank and aeroplane kits. I found then that the joy was in the painting and detailing. A few of those kits that survived at my parents' house ended up as the scrap piles in 'Grove street yard'. I also did Warhammer back before they became silly priced. I have no survivors from my Warhammer stuff because I sold them on whilst at University.

My partner has just got into Warhammer 40k and I'm finding that my collection of Humbrol enamels is gravitating away from the shed towards her office.

Not so much these days, but for a long time I used to build model aircraft. Here's a couple of fairly recent ones, built for a friend:

DSCF0008800.jpg

JonsPembroke2806805800.jpg

The problem with aircraft is where do you put them all!

Tom.

Two lovely models. The DC3 particularly caught my eye. I assume it's 1/72 scale but what kit and decals did you use? I had a flight in a DC3 a couple of years ago when it did a farewell tour of UK airports. RAF Transport Command, same as your model. I always wanted to build a model of that aircraft but was never sure which DC3 kit was the most suitable or if any firm produced the correct decals. I build the occasional aircraft kit but I'm no expert so I'm not looking for 100% accuracy.

Your kits have a very good overall finish...is it spray painted? I've never felt confident with an airbrush. Last Christmas I tried brush painting the Airfix Nimrod (similar livery)..made such a mess of it I ended up throwing it in the bin!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Two lovely models. The DC3 particularly caught my eye. I assume it's 1/72 scale but what kit and decals did you use? I had a flight in a DC3 a couple of years ago when it did a farewell tour of UK airports. RAF Transport Command, same as your model. I always wanted to build a model of that aircraft but was never sure which DC3 kit was the most suitable or if any firm produced the correct decals. I build the occasional aircraft kit but I'm no expert so I'm not looking for 100% accuracy.

Your kits have a very good overall finish...is it spray painted? I've never felt confident with an airbrush. Last Christmas I tried brush painting the Airfix Nimrod (similar livery)..made such a mess of it I ended up throwing it in the bin!

Hi 60091!

In that case the model represents the aircraft you flew on, namely G-AMPY / KK116. It was built for one of the pilots.

The Dak was made from the Airfix kit, although it's originally the Italeri mouldings. This is just about the most accurate Dak available at the moment and is a reasonable build, although a bit basic in some areas. I modified the carb intakes on top the engines to match the real thing and also had to cut out the first window, as this is not on the kit. The various aerials and cabin vents along the roof were also scratch built from stretched sprue and plastic strip.

The model was sprayed with Halfords paint. The white is simply white primer, with a coat of Johnson’s (old) Kleer and the grey was, I think, Ford Dove Grey. The blue stripe was masked with Tamiya masking tape and hand painted. The Decals came from two separate sheets, one with various different sized roundels and one with various different sized lettering, including a complete RAFTC, although it's a little larger than on the prototype. I think they both came from Hannants.

Hope this helps! If you do have a go with Halfords paints, just remember to go lightly at first, you can over apply and end up flooding panel lines etc, but for large aircraft like the Nimrod, they are particulary useful if you are not confident with an airbrush.

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by TomE

Now that I've got plenty of the issues to hand to make a reasonable attempt at the hull my non-railway time will be spent of the HMS Victory (painted and rigged as at the day of Trafalger).

post-7964-0-97406400-1325878550_thumb.jpg

This is the current state of play on the slipway

• Like 1

Two images of my inter-galactic battle-cruiser. Constructed out of foam-board overlayed with plastic sheet. If you look closely, it's possible to make out some Pikestuff door sections as well!. There is still a lot of work to do yet. Not quite sure what exactly, as I am making it all up as I go along. It currently measures out at 2ft 10ins. Why am I building it? No idea. Some people have a book in them. I have space-ships. Ever since I have been knee-high to a grass-hopper, I have loved trains and Space. Never grew out of either (glad to say). The second image, courtesy of Photoshop, shows several ships of the Andromeda fleet, preparing to attack some god-forsaken ice-planet in the furthest reaches of the Gamma Sector, (actually, it's the roof of my Ford Focus, but don't tell anyone!)

post-632-0-47249600-1325882284_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-84543700-1325882300_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi 60091!

In that case the model represents the aircraft you flew on, namely G-AMPY / KK116. It was built for one of the pilots.

The Dak was made from the Airfix kit, although it's originally the Italeri mouldings. This is just about the most accurate Dak available at the moment and is a reasonable build, although a bit basic in some areas. I modified the carb intakes on top the engines to match the real thing and also had to cut out the first window, as this is not on the kit. The various aerials and cabin vents along the roof were also scratch built from stretched sprue and plastic strip.

The model was sprayed with Halfords paint. The white is simply white primer, with a coat of Johnson’s (old) Kleer and the grey was, I think, Ford Dove Grey. The blue stripe was masked with Tamiya masking tape and hand painted. The Decals came from two separate sheets, one with various different sized roundels and one with various different sized lettering, including a complete RAFTC, although it's a little larger than on the prototype. I think they both came from Hannants.

Hope this helps! If you do have a go with Halfords paints, just remember to go lightly at first, you can over apply and end up flooding panel lines etc, but for large aircraft like the Nimrod, they are particulary useful if you are not confident with an airbrush.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom - Many thanks for all the info. I'll pick up an Airfix kit next time I see one. I've seen several people mention Halfords sprays and was impressed by the finish on your models so must give them a try. 'I've got a couple of sheets of roundels somewhere and I'll have a look at Hannants for the other stuff. This will definitely be a project for 2012. Yes it was KK116 - couldn't quite make out her serials from the photo. After the flight everyone had 20 minutes to take photos so I've got plenty of shots to help with the detailing. Thoroughly enjoyed my morning with KK116...the experience was worth every penny.

Tom,

The DC3 and Pembroke are lovely clean builds,well suited for the type of aircraft,is the Pembroke built from the Special Hobby kit?

Congratulations on the Felixstowe I assume you used the Roden kit? from what I've heard it's a beast to build.

In reality I am now more of model aircraft builder than railway modeller. I am a member of the local IPMS club and concentrate on building 1/48 scale aircraft,at the moment I've a 1/48 Special Hobby Fiat G55 on the bench.As far as my stash is concerned I am not telling as my wife might be reading this! :O

Malcolm