Chris-shay Challenge Entry

chris-shay

• RMweb Premium

Well, I've been lurking around these parts for a while now so I thought that I'd commit to the challenge. There is nothing like a deadline to spur you on so I'm hoping that this might give me the chance to put some of my endless layout doodles into practise.

The trouble is knowing what to concentrate on so I'll put forward some ideas I'm toying with and some background thoughts.

So in no particular order....

1.) 009 Industrial based on the Construction of the Orkney Churchill Barriers.

- Interesting subject, but research so far has revealed only limited information.

- Starting completely from scratch as it's not a scale I've modelled before.

- Quick sketch attached (hopefully)

2.) HO Gauge - US outline Switching layout based in Pacific NW.

- Costs kept to minimum as I have suitable GN/NP/BN stock already.

- Industry / edge of town setting with a bit of street running for interest ?

3.) 00 Gauge - LNER/BR NE England rural branch terminus

- This one would allow me to use some of my late Father's stock and at least build a layout that he never managed to achieve.

- Slightly run-down days of late steam BR in Northumberland/Scottish border area seen as the most likely scenario.

Whichever I choose it's build is going to have to be squeezed into the usual budget/time restraints of work and a young family!

The layout will be conventional DC control to keep costs to a minimum. (Besides I don't fancy squeezing a decoder into an LNER Y7/Y8!)

Any thoughts are most welcome...!

Chris

post-7069-12595862279207_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

In an effort to try and get myself moving I have (hopefully) come up with my intended track plan for my Challenge layout ...aswell as a name.

My favourite idea was the Orkney one, but as information out there is very sparce (only a couple of books and my local library was unable to persuade their counterparts in Wick library to part with their copy!) I have decided to go with the US switching layout.

The trackplan is based on one of Hugh Flynn's many offerings - layout 94 from the old RMWeb (Hugh - thanks for the X-TRAK file - much appreciated!) and this has been adjusted to fit in better with my space available. This gives a scenic area 7' x 18" with the balance of 2010 sqin being used as a traverser/sector table fiddle yard. Hopefully the baseboard design will enable the layout to be boxed away for storage as it will have to share space with the other in the house.

I haven't totally decided on the industries that will be represented, but something to give a good variety of cars and hopefully generate a bit operational interest. So far there has been no progress on board construction so I have been spending the snowy weeks building and weathering a few boxcars.

Oh, and I have decided on a name - "Index Street Yard." - named after the place in Washington state but bearing absolutely no resemblence to it!

Hopefully a trackplan is attached...

• RMweb Gold
00 Gauge - LNER/BR NE England rural branch terminus

- This one would allow me to use some of my late Father's stock and at least build a layout that he never managed to achieve.

- Slightly run-down days of late steam BR in Northumberland/Scottish border area seen as the most likely scenario.

My ears pricked up at this one, as its what I built most recently (though in ficticsous diesel days) and the only layout I have ever knowingly finished! :lol: You can get most of the trackplans for alot of the more compact stations out of the 2 Ian Futers Modelling Scotlands railways books, even though most are in Northumberland!

That said the originality of the OO9 scheme would really be something special - and would be the one I would pick if I was in your shoes, the fact it is a new scale combination for you and the scenic potential would I think, keep you on your toes and interested.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I have finally had to admit to myself that I am not making an awful lot of progress on the 2010 challenge. It has been a very frustrating year and with one thing and another I haven't been able to devote the time and space to the layout. :(

So, I have reluctantly decided to withdraw it from the competition before the deadline. I hope to resurrect it - or something similar- in the near future and I am promiseing to myself that it will get built !

Thanks to all of you who showed interset and I look forward to the judging soon.

Chris

Archived