Adhesives for track laying

I have read the arguments on the forum for and against PVA wood glue & Copydex and also seen Norman Solomon advocating the use of Febond. I wondered how Febond compares with the other two and whether or not track can subsequently be lifted and re-used if necessary. Any pointers and comments appreciated.

I've just used rubber backed carpet adhesive, which is a bit like Copydex, to glue down the underlay (C&L 3mm foam) and then the track (handbuilt on timber sleepers) to that.

Advantages - slightly flexible, helps absorb noise, can be softened for minor track adjustment with a suitable solvent - I used cigarette light flud - and then allowed to harden. I'll also use it - diluted - to apply the ballast.

Disadvantage - I had to buy a 5 litre drum. Anybody want a litre or two?

Jol

edited for spelling!

• RMweb Gold

I think Febond is PVA based. PVA can be softened with hot water so if tracks is glued to a cork base or thin ply it could be removed and soaked for say points. Providing of course the track has pcb or plastic sleepers. PVA is thought by many to set too hard hence the suggestions for copydex. Have no experience of removing that.

Don

Archived